• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Providores

Am trying to find a non French, non Italian (non-European for that matter) restaurant in the Baker Street-ish area - one that has an interesting wine list with lots of non-European choices. I thought Providores might fit the bill but I haven't been there in awhile.

Any insight would be most welcome - and any other recommendations, too - this is for dinner on a Friday night with someone who lives in Bordeaux and works in the wine business. I want to take him somewhere that has food and wine that he probably cannot get in Bordeaux, and it needs to be a reasonable commute from Finchley Road...

Thanks!

The two restaurants which fulfil the food criteria are Royal China and Michiaki (new Japanese), though I'm not sure how great their wine lists are.

Other non-Euro restaurants might include Deya, Levantine, or good old Maroush, which is perhaps a little rubbish, but enjoyable nevertheless. (Who could fail to be impressed by a perspex bridge over a fishpond?)

Though The Orrery isn't necessarily far enough divorced from what he might get at home, it does have a decent enough wine list, I believe.

I've been to the Providores about 3 times in the last year, though not (for no particular reason) in the last 6 months. I really like it - [my husband doesn't, but chiefly because the tables are very close together and it's quite echoey].

I have consistently loved the food - unusual combinations of flavours which work incredibly well. It's also very professionally run, with friendly staff and good service.

I was at the Tapa room of Providores a few weeks ago. Had to wait outside for 15 minutes while a table slowly paid up and left, but it was worth it. Food standard is a good as ever. I had the roast appleton pork belly and it was most delicious!

If you've been before you'll know that the menu pretty much fits your bill. Med (mostly spanish) elements but strong mix of asian spices and ingredients as well. Might be a good change for your guest. Great food, not too OTT in vibe or price and the best (only?!) flat white in town (yes I'm an aussie). I can never go past the hokey pokey ice cream either. Not only is it the best version of hokey pokey I've ever tasted (and I may have tried a few back home), but you just can't really get anything like it over here.

a good choice of wines too if your guest doesn't mind the new world style. delicious...

Not sure it's a great choice for wine, but I've had two enjoyable meals (one dinner, one lunch) at the Phoenix Palace on Glenworth Street.

I understand it's the local favourite of PRC students at London Business School (I'm told it's better than the Baker Street Royal China in terms of both price and quality).

Thanks for all of this. I think it will be Providores, if it's good enough for vytoh (aussie) it's good enough for some French people ! Forgive me though, what is a 'flat white'??

I am a big fan of Michael Moore (but as the person I'm taking is from Bordeaux, I think the food and the wine list are a bit close to home). I *really* wanted to go to Vineet Bhatia but it's just too much of a hike for this particular evening.

I too like Phoenix Palace and RC, but winelists are non-contenders. Haven't been to Michiaki yet though that's a possibility, if the sake list is particularly interesting...

Orrery is too Frenchy for this evening. Lots of good middle eastern food in France, too.

Thanks again.

Michiaki doesn't have a sake list in the same way that Roka has a shochu (misspelt?) list, but there are six or so. I had a fruity, herbaceous Daiginjyo, which was served ina beautiful little glass decanter, balanced over a bowl of ice. The cocktails are hilarious, but for all the wrong reasons.

Forgive me though, what is a 'flat white'??

Good question - they don't seem to be available in this country. Guess it's an antipodean thing!

A flat white is like a latte but with less milk. It comes across as a strong latte but seems fuller and creamier, regardless of the fat content of the milk. I'm actually an espresso or macchiato drinker as I'm fairly lactose intolerant (but suffer the consequences for delights such as ice cream) but when I found out they do flat whites I ordered one. Then I was told they have soy milk as well - so I changed my order to a soy milk flat white and almost fell off my chair with joy :biggrin:

Have a great time - do let us know what your guest thought of the experience :smile: