• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants around Beaune

Gavin Convery

I am travelling to Burgundy in August to go to my vineyard (well my friend bought me a share in a vineyard for a year as a birthday present!) and I'm looking for restaurants (and hotels) in and around Beaune (or if it is worth it I may stay in Dijon).

I've been to a few places arounf there: Lameloise, Hostellerie du Vieux Moulin. I'm interested if anyone has tried Le Jardin des Remparts in Beaune itself. Plus is it worth going out of our way to the Cote d'Or?

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

I had a very very good meal at L'Auberge de la Charmein Prenois. ( near Dijon)  The restaurant now hold one Michelin star but, I wouldn't surprised if they get another one in the next years.

-Salad of trompette de la mort, lobster and tomato confit

-foie gras with smoked tuna

-coings sablé with caramel ice cream and endive coulis...

Patrice Demers

I think there was at least one thread that was devoted to Beaune and I know the area has been discussed before, but I won't suggest we always stay on topic and that you'll find all those posts by scrolling the thread titles. It's a pity the search engine seems to be corrupted.

I can't remember how long ago it was that we were at La Côte d'Or, assuming you are talking about Loiseau's place in Saulieu. We loved our meal then, but it may have been almost ten years ago.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...

Gavin,

Jardin les ramparts is a great place, lovely old house, just in the walls but sympathetically renovated and quite minmal and modern. food was excellent, great saucing.

Sent my parents there (who are not great foodies) last month, they thought it was brilliant. Also across the road from the ibis central if you want somewhere cheap to crash post visit!

you don't win friends with salad

My wife and I ate at Le Jardin des Ramparts a couple of years ago. Don't remember details, only that we loved it -- most attractive garden-like decor, excellent food and a Sunday lunch that was particularly good value for money without descending to cheap boring ingredients and mass production.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Gavin - You should private message David Russel who is a member of eGullet. He is by far the most knowledgable person on Burgundy, both the wine as well as the region, that we have on this board. I once saw him respond to this exact question on one of the wine boards with maybe 30 rcommendations.

The first two restaurants are suggestions from a trip in 1999 - the first about 30 minutes from Beaune and the second about 20 minutes from Beaune. I had posted them earlier on another thread.

Restaurant Greuze in Tournus was wonderful. We were there in 1999 and had a wonderful lunch. We were the only Americans in the room, but Jean Ducloux, the chef and his wife couldn't have been more cordial. It is traditional Burgundian food, beautifully prepared with the finest ingredients.

We had the menu Epicurien. I had the cold foie gras en gelee and my husband had the marinated salmon. We both had the Blanquette de ris de veau Grand-Mere Ducloux. As the name suggests it is a homey dish from the chef's grandmother of stewed sweetbreads. There was

then a sorbet marc de Bourgogne and then lamb with vegetables and cheese. I don't remember what we had for dessert. Again, it is straight-forward cooking with a warm and friendly staff. The wines were Clos des Mouche 97 and a 93 Chambolle Musigny from Faiveley - we do love Burgundian wines! I would definitely go back again.

Another find for us on this 1999 trip was Moulin de Marterey.. This is a little old house on a stream that used to be a gate/lock house. The old gears and wheels are still in place. This little restaurant was also warm and inviting. The chef, Jean-Pierre Gillot is very talented and came out of the kitchen to introduce himself as we were so delighted with his food. Two memorable dishes: 3 preparations of snails - one in a confit of wine, one with wild celery or water parsley (in French ache) and one with tomato confit. The other remarkable dish was Bresse chicken done 3 different ways - an extraordinary and innovative dish. As you can see, the chef likes to take an ingredient and do different preparations of the main ingredient.  Wines were more than reasonable - a Raveneau Chablis and a 95 Monthelie ( both $40.00.) Moulin de Martorey is in Saint-Remy - 71100 Chalon-sur-Saone.

In 1997, we ate at Hostellerie de Levernois when it still had 2 stars. We predicted that after our horrible meal, they would lose a star in 1998 and they did. The meal was a "French Fire Drill" from the start ... service was abominable. The escargot in puff pastry was a gluey mess and the rack of lamb was so over-cooked, and tough that even a sharp Laguiole knife wouldn't cut it. (Before 1999, my husband took notes and he was brief on his food notes so I don't have full descriptions.)

We ate at Jardin des Remparts but my husband (the ex-note taker) only says, "pretty restaurant - lunch was nice, nothing memorable with a couple of cheap local wines." Now you know why he is the ex-note taker.

Again my notes for Lameloise are sketchy at best. It is in a spectacular old house/tavern. We were worried at first as there was a large group in a private room next to us. It turned out it was one of the Negotiants celebrating his 50th birthday ... in style.... 1997 Drouhin Clos de la Mouche, 1970 La Lagune for 30. Again my husband's notes on the food, "we had a wonderful meal... everything perfect.... the degustation menu."

One thing to mention, make a point of being in Beaune during Market Day. Just wandering through the streets, stopping at each stall -- the smells and sights are extraordinary.

Restaurant Greuze in Tournus was wonderful.

I'm with Lizziee on Greuze.

Restaurant Greuze

Our meal there about two years ago was one of the most memorable we've had.  The simple roasted chicken with garlic was transcendant.  I would go back to Tournous just to repeat that meal.  The town is very nic and a nearby shop called "Deco Bistro" is wonderful.  The owner has transformed an old foundery into a movie set of old bistro and brasserie furnishings and fittings, objects and antiques, all for sale.  Greuze merits a detour in our book.

• 7 months later...

Suggestions for the Chablis region for restaraunts and hotel for one night on our way to Beaune (4 nights). In Beaune we plan on dining at Ma Cuisine, and Hostellerie de l'Ecusson.

We are looking for a restaraunt that speaks of the region with a wine list to match (and reasonably priced). Are looking at 50 eu per person or less for the food component, 50 eu for room. We will have a car.

All advise is appreciated :biggrin:

Boris:

Have a look at this thread:

Michel Vignaud in Chablis

Michel Vignaud also has a bistrot, Le Bistrot des Grands Crus, where, doubtless, your lunch will be cheaper than a dinner at the restaurant. If I were you, I'd take the risk that his operation might not be running on all cylindars, because if it is, you will have a wonderful meal. It's at 8-10 rue Jules-Rathier in Chablis, Tel.: 03 86 42 19 41

Enjoy your trip! Chablis and Beaune are wonderful locations! This sounds like primarily a vinicultural and gastronomic trip, but don't miss the Polyptych of the Apocalypse by Rogier van der Weyden in the fabulous Hotel de Dieu in Beaune. See a very small picture here: Museum of the Hospices Civils de Beaune

Michael aka "Pan"