• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with Kids - west end

tony h

Big sis is bringing her brats to london next month. Any ideas where to take the kids for a fun meal – west end preferred. Have already taken them to Sarasto near covent garden - great for them - awful food for us. Their ages - 7 & 9.

Really appreciate your help here

I got some helpful suggestions when I started this thread last month - so hope that's useful.

My friends ended up at Smollensky's for the main meal - which she said suited them fine - but admittedly the kids were a little younger than your niece / nephews.

She did tell me that she and her husband did look wistfully towards the Wolseley as they passed by, but their kids wanted something different.

Would Inn the Park work? perhaps if you've been in the parks that day?

Cheers

Yin

Edited by YKL (log)

Another option is Carluccio's.

At the top end of the scale there's Locanda Locatelli. Very expensive and fantastic food but great with kids. I was in there one evening and there was a table with one or two kids, the waiters were fantastic - one of the numerous advantages of going italian rather than french.

Have already taken them to Sarasto near covent garden - great for them - awful food for us.  Their ages - 7 & 9.

Wow. I hope the kids liked the art in the lavatory :wink:

Marylebone has a couple of kid-friendly places. Giraffe on Blandford Street is quite a good place. The food is inventive and the atmosphere is child-friendly.

There's also La Galette on Paddington Street - excellent...no, outstanding crepes and a variety of ciders served in earthenware for the grown ups.

great ideas - thanks

I realised I meant to emphasis that I'm looking for something as theatrical as Sarastro - but with better food.

Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock - christ - I never even thought about these. Shows what a food snob I've become since joining eG :wink:

Are the children ready for dim sum? Not having ever interacted with any children (since I was a child, clearly. As much as I wish, I didn't spring fully armed out of my father's forehead) I don't really know what they eat but there are often tablefuls of (admittedly Chinese) children in places like Royal China.

On the Nando's front I'm starting to realise that not ll Nando's are equal. I went to the one in Tooting recently and the girl behind the counter looked at me like I had handed her a bucket of cold vomit when I asked her to remove the chicken remains from beneath my table. Also, avoid the new "Mango and Lime" flavour. It's a bit like chicken that has been dipped in Harpic.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum