• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reasonable dinner in London with 20-yr old?

I will be in London for several days in early March to visit my daughter who is attending university just south of the city. She is a typical university student with no money for meals out, thus has no idea where to eat in the city. She likes good food but isn't interested in meals that are too much in the vein of "fine dining". Not knowing anything of the food scene in London I have absolutely no idea where to start. I like good food and have access to some wonderful restaurants here in Vancouver so have reasonably high expectations, especially for food that is fresh and made with well-sourced ingredients without pretension. I don't have an unlimited budget so please don't suggest wildly expensive options - they are out of my range. And I am sure my daugher wouldn't appreciate the experience enough to warrant the cost.

I have also been warned by my daughter that I should plan to do some things on my own and wanted to check out some foodie highlights. We recently went to a cheese and whiskey tasting here in Vancouver which featured cheeses from Neal's Yard Dairy so I was going to try and visit their shop in London. Any other suggestions for unique or interesting food related places/shops I should visit?

Can anyone help a fellow eGulleter? I promise that if you are ever in Vancouver I will make sure you know about the best that the city has to offer and sample as much of our plentiful bounty as possible.

Thanks very much in advance,

Cheers,

Karole

I will be in London for several days in early March to visit my daughter who is attending university just south of the city. She is a typical university student with no money for meals out, thus has no idea where to eat in the city. She likes good food but isn't interested in meals that are too much in the vein of "fine dining". Not knowing anything of the food scene in London I have absolutely no idea where to start. I like good food and have access to some wonderful restaurants here in Vancouver so have reasonably high expectations, especially for food that is fresh and made with well-sourced ingredients without pretension. I don't have an unlimited budget so please don't suggest wildly expensive options - they are out of my range.  And I am sure my daugher wouldn't appreciate the experience enough to warrant the cost.

I have also been warned by my daughter that I should plan to do some things on my own and wanted to check out some foodie highlights. We recently went to a cheese and whiskey tasting here in Vancouver which featured cheeses from Neal's Yard Dairy so I was going to try and visit their shop in London. Any other suggestions for unique or interesting food related places/shops I should visit?

Can anyone help a fellow eGulleter? I promise that if you are ever in Vancouver I will make sure you know about the best that the city has to offer and sample as much of our plentiful bounty as possible.

Thanks very much in advance,

St John Bread and Wine - reasonably priced; great ingredients simply but skillfuly cooked, very "London" in its feel and clientele.

Another option would be the ground floor of Smiths of Smithfield or the 1st Floor of the same restaurant. For a relatively good guide with phone numbers and addresses look at Squaremeal.

As for other foodie highlights, try Borough Market, every Friday and Saturday. You have the added bonus that there's a Neals Yard dairy there

It's not traditional British food, in fact it's Anatolian (Turkish), but it is very good!

http://www.tasrestaurant.com/

I recommend the one on the South Bank, next to Shakespeare's Globe.

If you look at their menu (http://www.tasrestaurant.com/menu.asp), you'll see they do a set meal from £7.95, which is excellent value. And the food is good and generous!

notting hill / portobello road market is quite enjoyable

try osteria basilico for a lovely italian, elecrtic brasserie for a chilled out place they all ages will appreciate. dim sum in chinatown always a good call.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Another option would be the ground floor of Smiths of Smithfield or the 1st Floor of the same restaurant.  For a relatively good guide with phone numbers and addresses look at Squaremeal.

As for other foodie highlights, try Borough Market, every Friday and Saturday.  You have the added bonus that there's a Neals Yard dairy there

I'd recommend Smiths also. They have a reasonable menu on the ground floor.

Also try Soho...

Busaba Ethai - Yummy Thai food.

Itsu - conveyer belt served sushi and Japanese yummies.

Bodean’s on Poland Street – reasonable American Style BBQ

Here are a couple of threads that might prove useful...

Convince me London has great dining

Gastropub Club

Suggestions on the Cheap

Tired of London

I'd steer you towards ethnic. Indian (Mela, Chowki and New Tayyab (just don't book online)) is very good in London and there are a lot of people on here that can guide you. I've just started exploring the Korean cuisine here and can recommend Woo Jung at 59 St Giles Street (just by CentrePoint)

You can't miss GastroPubs if you want less expensive well sourced food. The Duke of Cambridge in Islington is (I think) 100% organic and is a very typical gastropub. Drapers Arms, The Ebury and (but I haven't been here for a long while) The Eagle could be worth a visit. Moro (again in Islington- can you tell where I live yet?) is also well known for good Spanish/North African ingredients well prepared.

Shops-wise you will want to visit Borough Market (open on a Friday and a Saturday) and the food quarter in Marylebone where you'll find the Ginger Pig (butcher), La Fromagerie (cheesemonger), Roccoco (choclatier) and Divertimenti.

When you're visiting Neal's Yard also get along to Monmouth Coffee Company on Monmouth Street (best coffee in London) and Paul

Have a look at these for starters and get back to us if you need anymore help. I'm in Vancouver in September. Am really looking forward to it!!!!

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Hi, our son went to college in England (Richmond College, Surrey). It was a great experience for him, except that he fell in love with a British girl, married her, and moved to London, leaving his dear parents alone in the U.S., wasting away because we don't want to have food in our mouths in case he telephones! :smile:

But what I meant to say is that the current (March) issue of Gourmet magazine is devoted entirely to London, and it will give you many good ideas. Have fun!

-Mary

I will second Andrew Edmunds. Though it can get awfully smoky. There is another resto across the street and down lexington a bit towards regent street. That also looks pretty good- same kind of menu.

I like Smiths of Smithfield, its open really early, so its good for those early morning arrivals into London when you are looking for something to do before you can check into your hotel and the Borough Market hasn't quite opened. The first floor restaurant is a bit more upscale. SOS downstairs does an eclectic mix of things -- breakfasts, smoothies and nice sandwiches. Some really interesting shops on Charterhouse street too. Not a good street if your daughter has vegetarian aspirations as Smithfield market is a meat market.

I would also suggest, Books for Cooks on Blenheim Crescent -- right off of Portobello Road. The food has been really good depending on the time of year and its quite inexpensive. Basically, a group of the workers devise a daily menu with a few choices out of featured cookbooks. Some have been absolutely divine. There are many puddings to choose from. I would recommend going there early and avoiding it on Saturday. Its a zoo on Saturday.

The cookbooks are pretty amazing and its just fun to browse.

Other suggestions would be satsuma on wardour street. I think their bento boxes are pretty decent.

Slug and lettuce at Canary Wharf is pretty decent on a nice sunny March day. They have plenty of outdoor seating. I have done it in March and you will not freeze.

have fun!

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Hello fellow Canadian :biggrin:

My personal recommendation of where to take a 20 year old would be Yauatcha, in Soho, Alan Yau's dim sum/tea house joint. It's hip, beautiful, and not too pricey, with excellent food and amazing cocktails (or tea smoothies).

However, if you're looking for something more on the British side of things (coz I know Vancouver has tons of great asian dining) you might want to try a gastropub. If your daughter is living in South London hopefully she's not far away from the The Earl Spencer, which is reasonably priced and has very good high quality food. It's also a little bit quieter than it's sister gastropub, The Havelock Tavern.

Also, if she likes Indian I can also recommend Masala Zone and Chowki, both in colourful Soho.

Have fun!

Elizabeth

(AKA Izabel)

Canuck in blissful exile

Elizabeth, AKA Izabel_blue

My Webpage

I will be taken here for a Birthday lunch a week Sunday and it looks good fun.

Edited: as I havn't got the skill to post the word 'clickety' and give you the link, you will have to accept the words 'My Webpage'

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I am currently shivering in a residence room in Herstmonceaux (East Sussex) waiting for my daughter to finish her Art History class. Then we are off to dinner at the Lamb Inn, a local pub with several of her friends. Tomorrow we are off to London and a chance to sample some of your wonderful suggestions. As I am sorely in need of a good glass (or two) of wine I am thinking of the Ebury Wine Bar for dinner tomorrow. My daughter has not yet discovered the joys of wine - still preferring beer to wine, so I have to have my wine by the glass. Not always easy to find restaurants with good wine-by-the glass selections. Another meal will have to be Italian or something "non-spicy" as the boyfriend has a very tame palate. That leaves one additional dinner which will likely be Indian or perhaps Thai?

Again, many thanks for all your assistance. My only quarrel is with the weather - I may be Canadian, but I didn't need the snow to make me feel at home. Besides which, I am from Vancouver - we don't know what to do with snow.

Cheers,

Karole

As a Londoner and Vancouver resident I would recommend Smiths of Smithfields or Vivat Bacchus (for amazing cheese plates and South African wines), on a more casual note the Wagamama in Canary Wharf...lots of shops for a 20 year old. If truly adventurous try St.Johns, old school feel and unique animal parts :biggrin:

On a Friday or Saturday drop by the Borough Market for vension burgers, Niel's Yard Cheeses, and great regional produce. It's like Slow Food live!

Regards,

Stephen Bonner

If Indian is on the menu... Brick Lane is the place to go...way too many restaurants to recommend. If you feel like drinking some wine drop by the Wine Wharf next to Vintropolis Wine Experience. They have a great selection at great prices compared to Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG