• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solly's Bagels

DarkDante

Also a long-time lurker, first-time poster (waves).

Good news for Solly's. I've only ever been to the Broadway location, and I find their cinnamon rolls are a bit hit or miss -- sometimes they're loaded with cinnamon (yum), but sometimes I get a plain roll with just a light dusting of spices. But when they're good, they're the best cinnamon rolls ever. And the babka's always good. And the knishes. And the bagels...

A friend of mine goes to the one off Main St. more often and she says the cinnamon rolls are much more consistent there.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Whoohoo! Two more inmates for the madhouse... welcome to you both! :biggrin:

Knishes. It's all about the knishes. Don't forget the rugelach. Oooh. Now I've got a good Solly's jones going and will have to make a trip next week. Thanks DarkDante for the heads-up on the new location.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Wow! I'll be right in the middle of two Solly's locations. Ahhhh....I love this neighborhood. I could really go for some Jewish penicillan right now. Hmm..I think I know what lunch is tomorrow, if I can move.

Welcome to the craziness DarkDante and emmalish!

For those who might not know, Solly's bagels bakes amazing bagels. Not that I'm knocking any of the other delicious items, especially cottage cheese muffins and rugelach and chicken soup and, and, and... my Solly's list is quite long!

he babka loaves are better than the babka buns, so try to find a few friends to eat one with ... and i fyou have some left over it makes amazing toast the day after!

Mmmmm, yes, the cottage cheese muffins are fantastic. I can't believe I forgot to mention them. I've only ever had the babka loaf, not the buns, so I can't compare the two. Good to know I've been getting the right one tho. I've never tried it toasted. Doesn't the chocolate drip all over the place? Now I'm just going to have to head over there this week...

Edited by emmalish (log)

wanna come with?

yummm... chocolate rugelach..... poppyseed rugelach.... omg! Ling, you have to try these :biggrin:

Am I spelling rugelach right???? I hope so....... :unsure:

Also... I love their knishes..... savory little morsels.... :wub:

I am very sure that they have picked a great new spot at 7th and Yukon... close to the Police Station, close to City Hall and close to the VGH!!! :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Their Jam and nut rugelach is the best ever, but I've only ever had consistency at their flagship location on Main. Also worth trying, their eggel. So fresh and light, it makes a great breakfast. Their bagels are the best in the city and I've done a side by side comparison with bagels from Montreal. I think Solly's are better, the ex thought the montreal ones were a little bit better, but he admitted that it was close. My mom will drive from Delta (or get me to pick it up and take it over) for bags of rugelach, which freeze very well. Oh and the Babka......so good. K, definitely heading down there today if I can move.

:wub:

I'm with you on the jam and nut rugelach; much prefer it to either the chocolate or the poppyseed. And the "eggel" on an onion bagel (a sandwich with scrambled eggs and other tasty things) is what I have two out of three times I'm there.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I had both the chocolate and the jam and walnut rugelach today. They are so addictive--only a few left in the box! :biggrin: I think I prefer the chocolate ones over the jam ones, just because the jam leaked out of the rugelaches a bit during the baking process, and dried out in the oven.

Then again, even if the jam didn't dry out, I think I still would prefer the chocolate ones. :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

Ling Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

I've never had a rugelach, a babka, or a knishes.  Time to go to Solly's!

Thanks for being honest, Ling! I thought I might be the only one. :blush: It's a pain being so far out of Vancouver. I'll have to add Solly's to my list of places to hit next time I'm in Vancouver. Funny thing is, I grew up in Burnaby and didn't appreciate the culinary scene at the time. Now I live out in the boonies and have two toddlers that make it almost impossible to get into town...what can you do?!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Their bagels are the best in the city and I've done a side by side comparison with bagels from Montreal.  I think Solly's are better, the ex thought the montreal ones were a little bit better, but he admitted that it was close. 

Peppyre, I totally agree, best bagels ever - I grew up with real bagels in Boston, have had a variety from excellent sources in NY, Montreal etc. We had decent bagels even in Toronto, but Solly's are just the best!

Now, if only we could get them to start making bialys - that would be the next thing if you ask me (hmmn, guess nobody is asking me?).

Now, if only we could get them to start making bialys - that would be the next thing if you ask me (hmmn, guess nobody is asking me?).

I just had to google bialys because I had no idea what it was. And now I think you need to contact Solly's & see if they'd be kind enough to start making them for us. :raz:

(now I'm just going to have to find a recipe and make some!)

wanna come with?

Go Emmalish!

Impressive, but don't you need one as a reference point? The best west coast bialy I have had comes from Barry's in Eugene Oregon. So if in Eugene, got to Barry's. Meanwhile if you are seriously making them, pm me - I have no definate cooking plans for the weekend as yet.

The only place I know of which might have bialys here would be Siegels. I haven't been there in eons so I really don't know. I haven't seen a fresh bialy for sale here, but if I see any in my wanderings, I'll let you know. I think some type of special oven might be needed, e.g. possibly a wood oven like bagels, but I really don't know.

I can check out Siegel's and see what they have. You're right that it would probably be best from a wood-burning oven like bagels, but it might be worth trying them out at home once. If nothing else, it'll keep me out of trouble for a day and I can take them in to work. They'll never know the difference!

The recipe I found has instructions for baking in a regular oven (not saying this is the recipe I'd try, it's just the first one I found).

Back on topic, ummm, yay Solly's! :blink:

edited to say thanks peppyre, I'll ask at Solly's next time I'm in

Edited by emmalish (log)

wanna come with?

To my taste a Bialy is just a Bagel without the hole.

Growing up on Eastern European cooking I have to say that Solly's food is stodge of the most bland and undistinguished variety.

Also the management directed abuse of Staff in the Broadway location-screaming/shouting/belittling in front of customers (on more than 2 occasions) means I'll never darken their door again.

It's one thing to pay staff minimum wage for relatively simple work-to abuse them publicly is IMO unforgivable. :angry:

Benny's Bagels on West Broadway used to make bialys.... not sure if they still do though.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Was just at the Main and (16th?) location today

for my usual Wednesday bagel by the dozen sale

and didn't see these bialys of which you speak.

Their soups are quite good, though, and so are

the lemon cake, carrot cake and cinnamon buns

(they make 'em heart-shaped at Valentine's).

Also whole-heartedly agree on the chocolate

babkas!

Peppyre, never seen these at the 28th/Main Solly's but I'm asking!

Will have to try one from Siegels next time I'm in that hood.

A good bialy with onions is so different from a bagel, Sam, I'm sure you realize this, maybe they are just not your item of choice. For example I'll take a bagel over a cin. bun any day ... especially a fresh bagel from Solly's.

Ok branching out from bagels - gotta get some dinner.