• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Coca-Cola and other sodas

Dim Sim

Pick up a copy of Classic Cooking with Cola-cola from a secondhand book shop (more out of curiousity than actually gastronomical value), it has lots of recipes, including chicken and shrimp jambalaya, Cantonese fried chicken( which uses Sprite), lots of breads and cookies too. I remember watching Nigella Lawson cooked a ham and coke thing. has anyone done any interesting food with Coke ?

I tried baking ham with Coke once, and the whole family hated it.  It was too sweet, and the distinctive flavor of Coke just didn't do it for us. It's an acquired taste, I think.

Funny thing is America's Test Kitchen did a ham using Coca Cola and they raved about it.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Alton Brown did a Country Ham with Dr. Pepper.

edited to add: Coca Cola Cakes are popular.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I use Coke about 75% of the time in my BBQ chicken marinade, as does my Mom, and have never failed to get rave reviews about it. Whenever I tell people what the "secret ingredient" is, they're always incredulous.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A Vietnamese 'stew' involving belly pork cubes, fresh coconut juice (as opposed to 'milk'), fish sauce, garlic, is improved with the addition of Coca-Cola. A tenderiser appaently.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I just heard of this one not long ago. It came from a friend raised in south Louisiana and I was amazed that it was new to me . . . Coca-Cola rice. You basically make your rice as you normally would but sub the Coca-Cola for the water. :blink: I haven't tried it yet but several folks from the same region chimed in that they remembered their moms doing this and they swear it doesn't taste like Coke, just really good.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A Vietnamese 'stew' involving belly pork cubes, fresh coconut juice (as opposed to 'milk'), fish sauce, garlic, is improved with the addition of Coca-Cola. A tenderiser appaently.

That's what I've been told too. My marinade in question generally consists of dark soy, Coca-Cola and cane vinegar together with various combinations of bay leaf, loads of garlic, ginger, onion, worcestishire sauce, sriracha and fresh basil or cilantro as my mood dictates.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I've made beef brisket with Coke or Pepsi before (along with ketchup, onions, celery, and tomatoes).  It's almost always turned out well.

I make a brisket with Coke that's fabulous.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 5 months later...

I hate Coca Cola - it is purile. Anyone who likes Coca Cola should be immediately disqualified from passing judgement on any wine above and beyond Two Buck Chuck (which I find Coca Cola drinkers tend to find just dandy). Coca Cola is nasty and people should not drink it.

That said, just like some of the great spicey red sauces that rely on Heinz ketchup as a base, Nigella Lawson's Ham In Coca Cola in "How To Eat" and then refined in "Nigella Bites" is a brilliant way to dispose of the syrupy rubbish that people insist on having at the bar for big parties. God bless her great big blubbery lips.

"Food is an essential part of a balanced diet."

Fran Lebowitz

My husband uses it as the base for his marinade for tougher cuts of steak. It does a great job of tenderizing and just sweetens it up a bit.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Pick up a copy of Classic Cooking with Cola-cola from a secondhand book shop (more out of curiousity than actually gastronomical value), it has lots of recipes, including chicken and shrimp jambalaya, Cantonese fried chicken( which uses Sprite), lots of breads and cookies too. I remember watching  Nigella Lawson cooked a ham and coke thing. has anyone done any interesting food with Coke ?

I brought this up once before, just don't know how to connect the link.

Harry

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Pick up a copy of Classic Cooking with Cola-cola from a secondhand book shop (more out of curiousity than actually gastronomical value), it has lots of recipes, including chicken and shrimp jambalaya, Cantonese fried chicken( which uses Sprite), lots of breads and cookies too. I remember watching  Nigella Lawson cooked a ham and coke thing. has anyone done any interesting food with Coke ?

I brought this up once before, just don't know how to connect the link.

Harry

Found IT!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=62227&hl=

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

have tried all 3 - pepsi, coke, rc in cake mixes

usually choclate cake

popular recommendations of *home cooks (sandra lee types without the tv show)* to get an added layer of flavor to the dish

personally I agree with sobaaddict70 that it did give an aftertaste which I found to be nasty

The MIL makes cocktail weenies with Coke and ketchup that's a potluck hit with old and young, highbrow and lowbrow alike. I think this is what is referred to as "Dirty Dogs", right? Whatever they're called, they never fail to please.

Beyond that and the ham and cake stuff, I haven't seen to many Coke recipes myself, though I do know of a few people who use 7-Up in their kimchee.

sg