• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Out of Style' Foods you love

NulloModo

By the way, I happened to think of something else that has seemingly gone by the wayside.

Anyone remember "Swiss" steak. This used to be a "blue-plate" dinner special in many family restaurants and diners. Round steak was the meat of choice, beaten until some of the fibers had been tenderized, dredged in seasoned flour and browned, then add onions and chopped tomatoes (or a can of stewed tomatoes) and served with mashed potatoes and gravy. Also a popular home-cooked meal.

When young, I always wondered where the gravy came from since there were tomatoes with the meat. Later I learned about the generic gravy mixes that were made up in batches, chicken, beef or turkey and held in warming pans in restaurants.

The other thing was "cube" steak. This also was something that puzzled me because it wasn't shaped like a cube. (My very early education, mostly from my grandpa, gave me a literal outlook on things, he believed in precise language and we never had cube steak on the farm!)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Every once in a while I hanker for a Monte Cristo Sandwich. A great lunch menu item from the '70's. I could go for one right now.

Ham, turkey and swiss on two slices from a pullman loaf, dipped in egg, sauteed in butter and then given a good spank of confectioner's sugar before serving.

Every once in a while I hanker for a Monte Cristo Sandwich.  A great lunch menu item from the '70's.  I could go for one right now. 

Ham, turkey and swiss on two slices from a pullman loaf, dipped in egg, sauteed in butter and then given a good spank of confectioner's sugar before serving.

Bennigan's (the chain) still serves one, a very good one in that. Although, it is the heaviest most dense sandwhich I think I have ever encountered.... I mean, a deep fried ham sandwich with sugar and jam, wow...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Every once in a while I hanker for a Monte Cristo Sandwich.  A great lunch menu item from the '70's.  I could go for one right now. 

Bennigan's (the chain) still serves one, a very good one in that. Although, it is the heaviest most dense sandwhich I think I have ever encountered.... I mean, a deep fried ham sandwich with sugar and jam, wow...

What's not to like about a french toast sandwich?!?! When I lived in SoCal, I would always hit the Katella Deli when I was feeling naughty and needed some deep fried goodness. I've had a couple since then, but none have been as good as that Katella Deli version.

Andiesenji-

Could be a dumb question:

For pasteurizing the eggs, do you bring the water up to temp before adding the eggs, or with the eggs in it?

Thanks,

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

I have recently realized that I love iceberg lettuce. It's bland alone, but mixed with other lettuces its wet sweet crunch is quite satisfying.

I make pigs n' blankets (with Hillshire Farms l'il wieners and crescent rolls out of a can) for every Super Bowl party, kids' party, any kind of party, and they disappear fast.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

This reminds of the time someone argued with my husband that Monte Cristo Sandwiches were French. My husband by the way is a French Chef. :laugh:

He was very polite about it, but the other person just SWORE it was French.

Sandwich loaf. I went to a sorority alumni luncheon where the median age was 70. They served what look like a beautiful frosted rectangle cake complete with piped colored flowers. It was actually a mayo-like 'frosting' and the inside was stacked white bread with ham salad, tuna salad and chicken salad for the layers. Anyone under 60 did not know what it was and thought it was a layer cake- there was plenty leftover.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

My son waits tables part-time at Bennigans while going to school. He told me he has never seen anyone finish one of them.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

I have recently realized that I love iceberg lettuce. It's bland alone, but mixed with other lettuces its wet sweet crunch is quite satisfying.

I make pigs n' blankets (with Hillshire Farms l'il wieners and crescent rolls out of a can) for every Super Bowl party, kids' party, any kind of party, and they disappear fast.

How about "cocktail wieners" - made by simmering l'il Smokies in a jar of Welch's grape jelly and a jar of Heinz chili sauce. Serve with toothpicks.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

My son waits tables part-time at Bennigans while going to school. He told me he has never seen anyone finish one of them.

When I was in Korea I saw a packaged frozen version of Monte Cristo sandwiches in a supermarket. Of all things and all places. :huh: I've never tried one. It just has too much stuff going on all at once.

Sandwich loaf.  I went to a sorority alumni luncheon where the median age was 70.  They served what look like a beautiful frosted  rectangle cake complete with piped colored flowers.  It was actually a mayo-like 'frosting'  and the inside was stacked white bread with ham salad, tuna salad and chicken salad for the layers.  Anyone under 60 did not know what it was and thought it was a layer cake- there was plenty leftover.

My WASP grandmother used to make Ribbon Sandwiches, which sound like that loaf sliced...absolutely necessary for the drive back up North from Florida at Christmas!

Deviled ham...

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Oh, my goodness, does that bring back memories! I had forgotten all about them!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Andiesenji-

Could be a dumb question:

For pasteurizing the eggs, do you bring the water up to temp before adding the eggs, or with the eggs in it?

Thanks,

Steve

No question that seeks enlightenment is ever dumb!

I actually use a double boiler (better control of the temp) and bring the water in the upper container up to 142 degrees and keep it steady at that temp for a few minutes, then lower the eggs into the water (I have a small wire colander with a handle which holds 6 eggs easily) making sure the water temp does not drop and will hold.

Set the timer and as soon as the timer chimes, I lift them out of the water and briefly put into cold tap water. No need to chill in ice water, just cool enough to arrest the heating.

I dry the eggs, mark them with a pencil and either place in a container with a tight fitting lid or return to the egg carton. (I use a lot of eggs so usually buy 2 - 4 dozen at a time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Always In style in my book :  butterscotch pudding.

Had a very nice butterscotch pudding last night at a restaurant here in Boston. I hadn't had it since I used to make the Jell-O brand instant pudding version in the late 1970s.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Chicken Kiev.

Malted Milkshakes.

Relish trays.

Pickled or Creamed Herring.

Compound Butters.

And this isn't really a food, but I have an odd fascination with it: There's a Chinese restaurant near me that still has a full page of fancy cocktails, some that come in a giant bowl big enough for two or more people to sip out of, and all of them are garnished with plenty of fruit and umbrellas, and some of the cocktails are set on fire when served. Serving drinks in a coconut also gives me a little thrill.

Maybe I just have poor taste.

That reminds me of something else. Tiki lounges and their food. L.A. and environs was the Mecca for tiki lounge aficinados. From Trader Vic's in Hollywood to Kelbo's on Pico at Sepulveda to Latitude 20 in Manhattan Beach and The Lava Isle in Burbank, and etc. Kelbo's had the greatest ribs, almost like candy. The Lava Isle in Burbank (on Magnolia) was the first place I had Indonesian food - my first meal was nasi goering and I was hooked!

There was also one in the shopping center that used to front on Sepulveda Blvd. right where the airport expanded in 1961, where the east/west runway now crosses the road . I can't remember the name but it was very popular with the PSA stewardesses. (Pacific Southwest Airways - they were voted the most beautiful stewardesses in the U.S. in 1960.) It had a huge tiki with a flame coming out of the top of its head that could be seen from planes when one flew in at night.

Several friends and I used to "collect" tiki lounges and try the foods.

There are still a couple of tiki bars in Hollywood and L.A. but nothing like back in the late 50s and through the 60s.

The foods served at tiki lounges were different from any other restaurant and the drinks were elaborate, colorful and strong. The bartenders took pride in being able to construct any "tropical" drink from memory.

Flourless chocolate cake. I remember when this was on just about every dessert menu, and now it seems to be gone. It's too bad, because I really like it still.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Andie, thank you so much for mentioning Kelbo's. Ive been to manhattan beach probably 6 years in a row on vacation (a month each, on the strand :cool: ) and somehow, we always forgot to go to kelbos. My folks used to live down there and loved the place, but somehow we always forgot about it. Good thing ill be checking out chapman this summer and inevitably end up there. :wink:

BTW- how is the place that took over the habachi's old location (next to the brewery) doing?

smorgesbord and canapes and sometimes those tea sandwiches

We can get all of those things in Seattle, hehe. Historic scandinavian population, plus the Queen Mary Tea Room, complete with loaner tiara!

I had a chance to make crepes suzette in culinary school last week, served up tableside in one of our restaurants. Sadly, only one person ordered it. I realize the thought of a culinary student setting fire to something in front of you can be a scary prospect, but still... :sad:

Some of the things people have mentioned are things I've had a chance to make and even feed to the public. But I guess that comes with a curriculum that includes the classic techniques. Seriously though, if people are hankering after canapes and whatnot, please consider checking out the culinary schools in your area. If they're operating restaurants, there's a good chance of getting some old school cookery.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Veal scallopini marsala!

To my recolection it is one or the other, both good dishes but not both. Marsala bing mushrooms in brown wing gravy, Scallopini in a white garlic.

...perhaps greenwich is thinking of scallopine the cut of veal....and when I think Marsala sauce, I just know there's Marsala wine in...I don't tend to eat it because I don't enjoy the Marsala sauce.

That might be true, I had not thought of that aspect. There are a lot of cooking terms used incorrectly. Like calling basic tomato puree and seasonings gravy.

Living hard will take its toll...

Icebox Cake...you remember, Famous chocolate wafers alternating with slightly oversweet whipped cream in a log sort of shape, refrigerated overnight til the cookies were a bit soggy. I'm a private chef for a family with children who like to "help" in the kitchen. They adore this, they can make it themselves and it is delightfully disgusting. Anything named "icebox" would be terribly retro, don't you think? Though for "out of style" favorites, this is just the beginning for me. For instance, a wedge of iceberg lettuce, a wedge of tomato and a dollop of blue cheese...heaven.

Sour Cream and Onion Soup Mix chip dip!!

I still eat it to this day!!

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain