• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fire closes Moderne Burger and Dan Sushi

eatrustic

A fire that broke out at the back of a second hand bookstore forced the closure of Moderne burger and Dan Sushi with what is reported as minor damage.

Here's hoping they are both up and running soon.

Lumiere which is on the same block was not affected,

• 3 months later...

Perhaps one of the restaurant types here-people with a solid background in the business-could take us through just what steps need be taken to reopen after even a minor fire.

I recall that Greek place on Broadway was closed for months and months after what was called 'minor damage'- in fact the interior appeared untouched.

I would imagine a combination of red tape from the City, Health, Fire and Workers Comp in combination to the amount of crap your insurance company gives you and the feet dragging of the investigator of the insurance company of the neighbour who actually caused the fire would be nearly enough to make you jump off of a bridge. String that togehter with an eroding customer base and you have a near suicide level of frustration. :angry::angry:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 3 weeks later...
It looks like Moderne will be open for business in the next 10 days or so if all goes well, and.... they are also reno'ing the old book store next to them and will expand in sometime after that!

Thats good news.

please forgive me ... do you mean moderne burger are expanding ?

now that would be cool !

tt

Does anyone have any word on Dan? That was my favorite restaurant I think. I am in severe withdrawal still.

Also any replacement suggestions? Yuji's, unfortunately, wasn't even close. : ( Maybe it was an off day. And Octopus' Garden is pretty good but pricier and not quite the same selection of non-sushi dishes.

• 4 weeks later...

I am delighted to report that Moderne Burger has re-opened from the fire since last Wednesday, June 29, 2005. The lamb and steak burgers are as good as ever, not to mention the fries and shakes. I forgot to ask them about the expansion though. Time to get a fill-up on those burgers!

There is a note on Dan's door saying they will be back "with a new look." Judging from the near-complete gutting out of the interior, it's looking like quite a bit of work in the works.

I was there on day 4 of the reopen. It was lined up to the door at 7pm, so not much has changed. They'll now be closed Mondays. Seems the delay was due to a car hitting the front of the business next door - their kitchen equipment was sitting there.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site