• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Grocers

itch22

I am familiar with Pusateri's and Little Tokyo, as well as the St. Lawrence Market, but any others? (I'm sure there are others, but I am looking for recommendations for the best ones.)

I am also looking for a good Greek groccer.

-- Jason

Try The Cheese Boutique just off of South Kingsway.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

I am familiar with Pusateri's and Little Tokyo, as well as the St. Lawrence Market, but any others?  (I'm sure there are others, but I am looking for recommendations for the best ones.)

I am also looking for a good Greek groccer.

Where ( or what) is Little Tokyo?

I've also been to Harvest Wagon. It's a short distance from the Summerhill Subway station. I saw Dinah Koo from Tiger Lilly Noodle Shop there once. And of course there is always the Whole Foods Markey for specialty foods. Both can be a bit pricey.

If you want asian gourmet, best bet is the Taiwanese grocery stores T & T. There are a few locations in Toronto, but I don't know the exact address. For Korean food, if you want big grocery stores then best bet is to go to Galleria.

Where ( or what) is Little Tokyo?

It's a Japanese grocer in Kensington Market, expensive (even for Japanese goods) but pretty good. Saves you the trip to Vaughn or Markham if you just shopping downtown.

-- Jason

I've also been to Harvest Wagon.  It's a short distance from the Summerhill Subway station.  I saw Dinah Koo from Tiger Lilly Noodle Shop there once.  And of course there is always the Whole Foods Markey for specialty foods.  Both can be a bit pricey. 

If you want asian gourmet, best bet is the Taiwanese grocery stores T & T.  There are a few locations in Toronto, but I don't know the exact address.  For Korean food, if you want big grocery stores then best bet is to go to Galleria.

Yes I've been to the Galleria and spent far too much at the tea shop there. :unsure:

I forgot about Harvest Wagon, never been there but was told about it. I should check it and Whole Foods Market out.

-- Jason

The Harvest Wagon is one of the "Five Thieves" (a.k.a. as part of "Robber's Row"), which also includes the fishmonger Pisces, the gourmet deli/bakery All the Best, the butcher Oliffe and the patisserie Patachou. All of these are outstanding purveyors and all them are far from cheap. By way of example, Oliffe famously refuses to display their prices (if you have to ask...)! They also benefit by being next door to the largest Liquor store in Canada, Summerhill LCBO.

There are lots of other, much cheaper grocers around the city. What are you looking for? A one-stop-shop? Or a neighbourhood with a variety of samll boutiques?

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I have had great shopping experiences in a number of large asian stores. Plus Mid-Eastern. If you drive on any major thoroughfare away from downtown, there is likely to be one, whether, East Indian, West Indian, Chinese, Phillipine, Korean, Egyptian, etc.

Many of them are very enterprising, with private imports from the old country, and clever use of abandoned A&P sites.

Perhaps we could start a list of these valuable resources...

The Harvest Wagon is one of the "Five Thieves" (a.k.a. as part of "Robber's Row"), which also includes the fishmonger Pisces, the gourmet deli/bakery All the Best, the butcher Oliffe and the patisserie Patachou. All of these are outstanding purveyors and all them are far from cheap. By way of example, Oliffe famously refuses to display their prices (if you have to ask...)! They also benefit by being next door to the largest Liquor store in Canada, Summerhill LCBO.

There are lots of other, much cheaper grocers around the city. What are you looking for? A one-stop-shop? Or a neighbourhood with a variety of samll boutiques?

Well spring is fast approaching and I wanted to check out some shops this Saturday for condiments useful for spring cookery. I am always on the look out for quality vinegars and oils.

EDIT: I am also looking for north Mediterranean foods - Greek, Italian French, etc...

Edited by itch22 (log)

-- Jason

Sun Valley on the Danforth has some lovely Greek and Med. items. The deli counter has housemade tzatziki and the like.

Arz Fine Foods on Lawrence Ave. just west of Warden is a fabulous Middle Eastern grocery with great pastries. In fact there are a number of bakeries, nut shops, grocers along that strip with great middle eastern ingredients.

Kensington Market is a good source for Hispanic and Jamaican ingreadients as well as some middle eastern.

T & T Supermarket (mentioned upthread) is fabulous for all things asian.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Arz Fine Foods on Lawrence Ave. just west of Warden is a fabulous Middle Eastern grocery with great pastries.  In fact there are a number of bakeries, nut shops, grocers along that strip with great middle eastern ingredients.

Nassr, north side of Lawrence, east of Warden, is a large store with foods from all over the middle east and Mediterranean, on up to the Balkans.

Just across the road, on the south side of Lawrence, is a good Korean grocer (I forget the name, but the red and white sign is easy to find.)

Arz Fine Foods on Lawrence Ave. just west of Warden is a fabulous Middle Eastern grocery with great pastries.  In fact there are a number of bakeries, nut shops, grocers along that strip with great middle eastern ingredients.

Nassr, north side of Lawrence, east of Warden, is a large store with foods from all over the middle east and Mediterranean, on up to the Balkans.

Just across the road, on the south side of Lawrence, is a good Korean grocer (I forget the name, but the red and white sign is easy to find.)

Ummm, like those ones too, jayt90. If you like pistachio's I love the roasted nut store on the south side of Lawrence in the strip plaza just east of Arz. Sorry cannot recall the name. The lemon pistachios a really good, and different. They also have some sweets, spices and a variety of coffee. The gentleman there is very friendly and helpful.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Ummm, like those ones too, jayt90. If you like pistachio's I love the roasted nut store on the south side of Lawrence in the strip plaza just east of Arz. Sorry cannot recall the name. The lemon pistachios a really good, and different. They also have some sweets, spices and a variety of coffee. The gentleman there is very friendly and helpful.

I think I know the nut shop, too. Their coffee is good quality and spiced with cardamom.

Lawrence Av E. is truly amazing in its transformation to an ethnic destination.

Plus, Diana's Seafood, and Doc's Lobsters worth a visit.