• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Sea) 25 for 25 Restaurant promotion for March

Well, all this Brasa-bad-news is rather diheartening.  We have reservations to go...but now I'm having reservations about going.

Did anyone have a GOOD time during 25/$25  ?????

We did, but our server was someone I was acquainted with.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I am giving a big plug to Earth and Ocean at the W Hotel. I believe I went for lunch last March (?) and enjoyed my meal and service.

I've also greatly enjoyed almost every dish I've ever had at E&O over the past several years, during 25/25 and at other times, but the bulk of it was during 25/25.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Well, all this Brasa-bad-news is rather diheartening.  We have reservations to go...but now I'm having reservations about going.

Did anyone have a GOOD time during 25/$25  ?????

I have had perfectly fine even gracoius service at Brasa during 25/$25 multiple times now. I have also had barely adequate service there at other times of year, it seems to be completely random. And I really enjoy the food though it's a bit more expensive the rest of the year than I would like, with the exception of the frozen lemon mousse, which I adore and don't care what they charge for it :wub:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I walked by Union yesterday and saw they are doing the $25 tasting menu thing again this month, presumably Sun-Thur, in parallel with 25 for $25. They've done this for a while, but now that they've raised the normal tasting menu price to $60 I wondered if they still would. The answer, at least this time around, seems to be yes.

Last year we went to Brasa on this promotion, and unlike other restaurants with smaller selections, Brasa's offering was just shy of any appetizer, entree, and dessert from their regular menu. There were a few "off limits" items, but very few as I recall. I don't know if they plan on being as expansive again this year in their offerings.

***We went to BRASA last night and had a great meal and service to match. Yes, the offerings were as expansive as you mention. Portions were definitely full-size and our server was terrific. What a steal at $25pp.

• 4 weeks later...

Restaurant Zoe: What do restaurant reservations really mean?

This month my friends and I had the pleasure/displeasure of dining at Restaurant Zoe during the 25 for $25 promotion. While the food we felt was good--from what we had, the stand outs were Pear and Gorgonzola Risotto and warm Valrhona Chocolate Torte--we were irked by having been made to wait a quite awhile after we had made reservations and arrived on time. We made reservations for 7:00pm but were not seated until 7:40pm--party of 4.

We've now seen that one of the Secret Diners at Restaurant Zoe also had this problem: http://www.nwsource.com/contests/restauran...305/sd/zoe.html .

While we acknowledged that during the promotion these restaurants are very busy, with that along with some other disappointments during our meal there, we are reluctant to repeat a meal there. I really hope that Zoe realizes that the impression that one receives from there during a promotion of this sort really does have an effect on whether people come back. I plan on calling the manager now that I have seen that others had problems with this as well. As my friend said it was just like the episode of Seinfeld where they said "Well obviously you guys having no problem MAKING reservations. I think the problem you have is HOLDING them."

I know, it's funny. Everyone seems to like Zoe except for me, my husband, and I believe I can out sparrowsfall too. We all went there together for dinner and weren't impressed. It was like well-done home cooking. I didn't think it was anything special.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yeah, sometimes I just don't get how people can have such different experiences. 3 trys at Union and all have been disappointing in one way or another. Yet, EVERYONE here loves it.

Our $25 dinner at Zoe was great...service,food...all terrific. We're going back on Mon.

Same with Cascadia...we love it...and no mention in Seattle Mag. 'tis a mystery.....

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)