• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Sea) 25 for 25 Restaurant promotion for March

Hello all, it is 25 for 25 again... http://www.nwsource.com/contests/restaurants/25for25_0305/

I am wondering what your picks are. Some of you have definite opinions. 3rd Floor Fish Club is new. Some of you have mentioned that there are definite places to avoid. You are welcome to PM me with those recomendations if you don't feel comfortable about posting in public. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes: wl

edited to add http.

Edited by white lotus (log)

I am absolutely going to Zoe this year! I haven't been before.

In the past my favorites have been:

Flying Fish, Wild Ginger and Nell's.

There are a few that have been around in the past not on the list but I can't place who it is??

Market Street is new, and I don't remember Nishino being on the list before... Nor Sazerac. Alas, Sazerac hasn't been the same since the original chef left.. where did he go anyway?

-edit- Well now that I go up to their site, I see that Market St did participate in last fall's 25 for 25. shows what I know!

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Nishino's been on the list for a while. I discovered the Rococoa cookie dessert during one of their 25 for $25 events (we were ordering off the regular menu, but the cookie looked divine), and I was raving about the cookie by April of 2003, so they've been on it for at least a year or two.

Their 25 for $25 selections always look good to me, with some of the most interesting menu items, but if I'm going to Nishino, I want to order off the full menu.

Brasa has had excellent meals for the 25/$25 in the past, as has Earth & Ocean (although E&O is WAY smoky :sad: while Brasa is only mildly so) I also discovered Andaluca through this promotion & love them.

I find the food at Cascadia contrived, but have friends who love it so YMMV.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Nishino's been on the list for a while.  I discovered the Rococoa cookie dessert during one of their 25 for $25 events (we were ordering off the regular menu, but the cookie looked divine), and I was raving about the cookie by April of 2003, so they've been on it for at least a year or two.

Their 25 for $25 selections always look good to me, with some of the most interesting menu items, but if I'm going to Nishino, I want to order off the full menu.

I loved the special at Nishino - and some regulars were so jealous of my meal it was funny. Thye ordered many of the same dishes, paid more, and got less! If you've never been here, I'd say take this opportunity.

I was thinking that Szmania's was new - maybe not? Anyway - it's been years since I've been there so I thought I'd give them another try, same with Zoe, Assagio and Market Street Grill. I've never been to Andaluca or Vivande so they are also on my list.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I must be getting old and jaded because I'm having trouble summoning any enthusiasm for this round of 25F25. I would like to try Zoe, since I've never been.

Szmania's was the first nice restaurant in Seattle that I patronized on a regular basis. When they opened their second place in Kirkland, the food quality and service took a big hit IMO. During 25F25 a couple years ago, we went back for old times sake and it was excruciating. I seem to remember reading/hearing somewhere a little while back that Ludger was going to re-focus on the original location, so maybe it's better. If anyone goes, I'd love to hear about it.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Cascadia (which we happen to LOVE) has a $25 menu every month but we'll be taking friends in mid-March.

There are so many restaurants I've not tried and for me, being fairly new on the block, it's a good introduction.

Zoe is definitely on my list. I do try to eliminate those that are not smoke-free so I realize that rules out a few. Much as I want to try Le Pichet the thought of being in that small space with smoke scares me off...

OK, I did go to Brasa but to see Tony Bourdain it was a small sacrifice...LOL (plus the meal was wonderful)

Noting that Barking Frog in Woodinville, twenty minutes away from us, is on the list, my wife and I will be trying that. Of course, we have eaten at the Frog many times, but it will be interesting to see what the $ 25 menu is.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

A bunch of us did Barking Frog last year for the 25 and it was very good.

Foodie Girl- Le Pichet is my FAVORITE so let me just urge you to go and ask for a table in the very front. Only the bar is smoking and I have never had it affect me. Also it's not as busy at lunch so that might be a good time to try it to.

now i have my list of places not to eat in March.

i'm with Tighe in that it's hard to get too excited about 25/$25 anymore, given that the venues are usually madhouses the entire month and the special meals more often than not don't do the regular menus full justice. the staffs are overworked and frazzled; the service suffers.

with a couple exceptions, the meals i've had during 25/$25 in the past have been really bad examples of what these places can do. (unless they're sub-par on their regular menu, in which case it doesn't matter much.)

Foodie-Girl -- if you can manage enjoyable meals during the promo, you've accomplished a feat. but if you really want to see these places in their best light, i'd wait and go on a regular night.

Last year we went to Brasa on this promotion, and unlike other restaurants with smaller selections, Brasa's offering was just shy of any appetizer, entree, and dessert from their regular menu. There were a few "off limits" items, but very few as I recall. I don't know if they plan on being as expansive again this year in their offerings.

As a result of the large menu of choices, and the deft hearts and hands in the kitchen, we had our most sumptuous $25 for $25 meal at Brasa. There was no problem with smoke because we were seated upstairs. The catch? The service was way this side of rude. While we don't like to be fussed over, our server really couldn't be bothered with checking in with us at all. We left feeling very odd after being ignored for the entire meal. It was just plain eerie.

I still like the 25f25 promotion, and I am specifically looking forward to trying Nishino this time around.

Edited by pupcart (log)

.....  I do try to eliminate those that are not smoke-free so I realize that rules out a few.  Much as I want to try Le Pichet the thought of being in that small space with smoke scares me off...

We have the same problem. With only one or two exceptions, we will not go to a restaurant that has smoking.

For new restaurants, we call to make a reservation and then ask if they are totally non-smoking. If not, we decline and let them know why.

...$25 for $25 meal at Brasa. There was no problem with smoke because we were seated upstairs. The catch? The service was way this side of rude. While we don't like to be fussed over, our server really couldn't be bothered with checking in with us at all. We left feeling very odd after being ignored for the entire meal. It was just plain eerie.

Yeah, we got the 25-for-$25 snub, big time, last year: Here's a link. Alas, in our case, the food wasn't even good enough to make up for it...

~A

[edited to fix the link]

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I am giving a big plug to Earth and Ocean at the W Hotel. I believe I went for lunch last March (?) and enjoyed my meal and service.

I recently had the pleasure of experiencing a wide selection from the menu, with beautifully matched wines. I wish I had photographed the dishes as they were a pleasure to the eye as well.

My favorites from the dinner include:

beef carpaccio - semi cured, I believe,

crispy veal sweetbreads - served with a small savory fig pastry and mustarda,

roasted sablefish with a luscious celery root puree and braised celery,

duck leg confit - slightly asian flavored, crisped to finish, and

lamb chop, (the gnocchi maybe a bit too smoked.)

Chef Maria Hines is one to watch. She is getting a real smoker, wants to make aged cheeses, selects products with great care and cooks them with a fine sensibility.

Anita - Thanks for the link to the thread commenting on what appears to be Brasa's universally rude servers during the 25f$25 promotion. It makes it a real good news/bad news situation...at least we know it wasn't personal to us, but geez, you mean they treat EVERYBODY that badly? Sheesh. Why do they bother with 25f$25? I had a similar reaction to yours when it came time to tip...not wanting to leave her a full 20% tip, but feeling that would confirm her opinion of us. Bad kharma all the way around.

That said, that was the only restaurant where we had that reaction to a 25f$25 meal....and I asm still looking forward to some new dining experiences thru the promotion in March.