• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Location-Specific L.A. Restaurant

Foodie-Girl

Going for a short family visit and need to stay somewhere between "The Grove" and Beverly Center.

It's fun to take our foodie-kids to places they can't usually afford on their own..so we try to make these visits memorable for them and us too.

To avoid driving all over L.A. I'm hoping for something in the location mentioned above...and also need a place to stay for 2 nights in this area. Hope someone can help me out!....Thanks!

Hey there, Foodie-Girl (I'm sounding like a broken record)

If you're planning to stay between the Farmer's Market/The Grove and the Beverly Center, there are many wonderful restaurants in Beverly Hills and along La Cienega Blvd. ("Restaurant Row"), from historic traditional to trendy. Here's just a few to start with:

Lawry's in Beverly Hills (Historic, traditional prime rib restaurant)

Grace Restaurant (Neal Fraser)

Lucques (Suzanne Goin)

A second trip to Southern California? Perhaps, you might consider moving back, ehh? We won't mind. :smile:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Hey there, Foodie-Girl (I'm sounding like a broken record)

If you're planning to stay between the Farmer's Market/The Grove and the Beverly Center, there are many wonderful restaurants in Beverly Hills and along La Cienega Blvd. ("Restaurant Row"), from historic traditional to trendy. Here's just a few to start with:

Lawry's in Beverly Hills (Historic, traditional prime rib restaurant)

Grace Restaurant (Neal Fraser)

Lucques (Suzanne Goin)

A second trip to Southern California? Perhaps, you might consider moving back, ehh? We won't mind.  :smile:

***I must admit that I'm old enought to remember singing along to "hey there geogie girl"...which, of course also makes me old enough to remember when LAWRY's was the new kid on the block...LOL

Thanks for the suggestions...I'm going to look-up those restaurants right now.

Though I'm enjoying our stint in the PNW I will ALWAYS be a Valley-girl at heart.

I was actually BORN in Glendale !

Thanks again for the recs.

AOC is practically across the street.aoc website

mmm, roasted butternut squash with romesco sauce. and the cheeses....i want to go now.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

In addition to the already excellent sugestions I would add La Terza at 3rd and Orlando. The second restaurant of Angelini Osteria, large dinning room with big comfy tables and chairs not all jammed in. Easy to enjoy several hours of courses. Food is top notch.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

On another thread I just posted about my favorite place for mussels in LA. It's Monsieur Marcel at the original Farmer's Market. Certainly not as hip as the other places mentioned but the food is great -- even if you don't get the mussels and you get all the ambience of Farmer's Market.

Right across the street from Farmer's Market is the Farmer's Daughter Motel. Used to be a place for unsavory activity but has been redone for the ultra hip. There's also that newish hotel on Beverly in the area -- can't think of the name right now -- but also ultra hip.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

you won't be too far from campanile either (over on la brea)

***Campanile...boy that brings back memories. When we lived in CA we went...about 2 weeks after it opened. Had a 8 or 8:30PM reservation and finally got our table about 10. Thank goodness we stuck it out...what a fantastic meal!!

AOC is practically across the street.aoc website

mmm, roasted butternut squash with romesco sauce.  and the cheeses....i want to go now.

***I've heard great things about AOC..thanks for helping put this whole plan together.

I'm thinking we stay at The Orlando...eat at La Terza one night and then A.O.C. the other. We won't even have to do any driving...let the kids come to us...LOL

Sound good??