• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Sean Brock of Capitol Grille, Nashville

pogophiles

Nice article.

Here's another earlier one that focuses on the Sean Brock's food.

One of his creations is a frozen margarita served with ''chips and salsa,'' except that the tequila blend for the margarita is like a sorbet frozen at the table with liquid nitrogen in a hollowed out lime. The salsa looks like a clear jelly but with all the intense flavors of jalapeño peppers, tomatoes, garlic and onion topped with an odd dark blue cube that has the texture of Play Doh. It's made of blue corn chips.

Brock has no rules when it comes to ice cream. He makes it out of anything from foie gras to pork barbecue. He refers to the latter as pork barbecue ''Dippin' Dots.'' It tastes like good pulled barbecue pork with plenty of hot sauce but was cold and creamy — odd because the brain doesn't want to accept this taste in a savory ice cream. It's still in the experimental stages

and this one has the planned menu for the James Beard dinner on March 26...

click

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

this started out as a cooking demo, we showed them around 30 cooking demos that we feel are on the cutting edge, tequniches from el bulli, moto, etc. ......mostly just fun stuff......the chips and salsa dish belongs to omar cantu of moto.........it was part of a brain to palate connection demo showcasing dishes that don't look like what they taste like.....we did a fun chocolate cake dish as well, some other fun stuff was a cocktail that is a frozen sphere on the outside and a hot liquid on the inside.....activa was also a big discussion but never made it in the paper.......lots of fun stuff with liquid nitrogen and various gums and modified food starches as well............we appreciate the support from egullet and look forward to having you in our restaurant in the near future

Edited by chefseanbrock (log)

I am incredibly pleased and excited by the articles on Sean Brock, a man about whom I have heard a great deal .. and when I read his tasting menu, I knew it was true love! :wub: Take a look and see why I feel as I do:

The Tasting Menu

Foie gras with caramelized milk and rice crispies

Employing a breakfast theme, a perfectly seared piece of fresh artisinal foie gras is served on a bed of crunchy crisped rice with morning themes of a swatch of caramelized milk and caramelized banana. The texture of the silky smooth, rich foie gras with crisped rice is wonderful, and with the ice wine is nothing short of sublime.

Bravo, Chef Brock!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 7 months later...

update from Restaurant News on Chef Sean Brock

"You wouldn't believe what I'm getting away with in Nashville," says the chef of Capitol Grille, the fine-dining restaurant in The Hermitage Hotel, who is still elated from his success in figuring out how to make an edible film that resembles plastic wrap...  since Brock became interested in molecular gastronomy about three and a half years ago, he has been offering more creative items to guests who request it. Locals have caught on to this, and a sort of underground tasting menu has emerged... he might liquefy the ingredients for a salad and squirt that into guests' mouths, followed by a frozen powder of oil, vinegar and brioche that tastes like salad dressing and a crouton.  "It literally feels like you ate an enormous salad," he says.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"