• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad Home Cookin'

Chris Amirault

Guts.

Sproing.

Scary.

Like offal now though.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I just thought of another disturbing meal. My brother was an aspiring gourmet, and decided he was going to fix beef tongue for dinner. He was closeted in the kitchen for hours, chopping and simmering, and it smelled pretty darned good.

And it may have been. It may have been astonishingly delicious, but he presented it at table unpeeled and unsliced--just a big ol' cow tongue laying on the plate. Urk. :wacko:

sparrowgrass

It was not my mother. We grew up in Thailand with a cook.

It was those summers in Nebraska with a grandmother. The worst was (in the height of summer and sweet corn season). Canned asparagus, dumped in a saucepan, boiled for 20 minutes. But, I guess that's a way to puree if you don't have a blender.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I just thought of another disturbing meal.  My brother was an aspiring gourmet, and decided he was going to fix beef tongue for dinner.  He was closeted in the kitchen for hours, chopping and simmering, and it smelled pretty darned good.

And it may have been.  It may have been astonishingly delicious, but he presented it at table unpeeled and unsliced--just a big ol' cow tongue laying on the plate.  Urk. :wacko:

Now, that's one that really made me laugh out loud!!!

I am thoroughly enjoying reading this thread!!!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

My mom was a decent cook, but had a bad habit of cutting recipes out of women's magazines during the 70's.  Her worst concoction - I can still remember the taste - had the innocuous name "Seafood Casserole".  Cubed frozen fish, tiny frozen shrimp and Campbell's Cream of Shrimp soup mixed with a little cooking sherry.  It was topped with Kraft Parmesan cheese (the green can) and baked.  The thought still makes me gag.  Served over Uncle Ben's converted rice, which is responsible for making me think I hated rice until I was an adult and could cook the real thing.

Edited to say that she was an army wife on an NCO's budget until I was 7, then worked full-time after dad got out of the service.  I'm sure our food budget, and her time were extremely limited.  Hence the "time and money saving" experiments.

Egads!

I think that mi madre inflicted the exact same recipe on us.

One of the best things that ever happened to me was when mom got her nursing degree and started working the occasional 3-11 shift. No doubt some of the early concotions I made for myself at the age of 11-12 were pretty nasty, but they were better than most of her cooking.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

My mom was a decent cook, but had a bad habit of cutting recipes out of women's magazines during the 70's.  Her worst concoction - I can still remember the taste - had the innocuous name "Seafood Casserole".  Cubed frozen fish, tiny frozen shrimp and Campbell's Cream of Shrimp soup mixed with a little cooking sherry.  It was topped with Kraft Parmesan cheese (the green can) and baked.  The thought still makes me gag.  Served over Uncle Ben's converted rice, which is responsible for making me think I hated rice until I was an adult and could cook the real thing.

Egads!

I think that mi madre inflicted the exact same recipe on us.

Sorry to hear that Joe. Holy crap it was awful. Thank God Campbells stopped making Cream of Shrimp soup in quantity. It's not available in the DC area but mom can get it in Charlotte. It should have been declared against the law. My sister loves seafood casserole and once in a while she and mom will get together and make a batch. They know better than to do it when I'm visiting.

We also had meatballs in Cream of Mushroom, served over rice, and something called American Chop Suey that was made from elbow mac, ground beef, and a can of tomato soup.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme