• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Ceviche Fixin's Needed

scratchline

Wondering if there are any special South American markets in the DC area where I might be able to pick up culantro (recao), panca pepper paste and aji amarillo pepper paste? Checked a couple of latin markets in Falls Church with no luck. Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Mike

Wondering if there are any special South American markets in the DC area where I might be able to pick up culantro (recao), panca pepper paste and aji amarillo pepper paste?  Checked a couple of latin markets in Falls Church with no luck.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Mike

If you're willing to make the drive, Global Market in Manassass is the legit spot for ethnic ingredients. Wegman's it is not, it's quite bare bones. But i'm 99%sure they have what you are looking for.

If you're willing to make the drive, Global Market in Manassass is the legit spot for ethnic ingredients.  Wegman's it is not, it's quite bare bones.  But i'm 99%sure they have what you are looking for.

isn't there a Global Market in Pentagon City, too? next to the Sur la Table.

If you're willing to make the drive, Global Market in Manassass is the legit spot for ethnic ingredients.  Wegman's it is not, it's quite bare bones.  But i'm 99%sure they have what you are looking for.

Yes, in the first group of stores in 'Pentagon Row', down the block from Sur la Table.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Yes, in the first group of stores in 'Pentagon Row', down the block from Sur la Table.

I thought that was a World Market, like Pier One

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

Yep, that is a World Market in Pentagon City, Global Market in Manassas has a huge Hispanic section. Super H in Fairfax has a Spanish section but I don't think they carry what you need. Otherwise you might want to call Americana grocery in Adams Morgan or Falls Church.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

If you are in the area, you might want to try the "88 Market" in the Culmore shopping center on Leesburg Pike between Bailey's Crossroads & Seven Corners (6035 Leesburg Pike). It has both latin and asian foods, including fresh veggies and refrigerated items.

According to MapQuest, their phone number is: 703-998-8988.

I can't vouch for the other ingredients, but I had to hunt down the aji amarillo paste last year.

Grand Mart in Centreville has the aji amarillo paste. Grand Mart's new 7 corners location appears to have a pretty extensive hispanic foods section and may also stock the paste.

I haven't seen culantro anywhere in the area (I get it from my mom in Tampa), but there is a store called 'El Coqui' in Gaithersburg, they may have it. I think I have some seeds left from last year's crop. If I can get it to grow once it's warm, I'll let you know and give you some cuttings.

Ana the Librarian

Twins were born June 14th, 2006!!!!!

I'm also a Disney Trivia fan: DisneyTrivia

I trade books!

Have books to trade? Join PaperBack Swap!