• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marcello's pizza at half the price?

maxmillan

Not yet, but I'll certainly look for it, the pizza from Marcello's for half the price??? One of the best pizza in the city. It would be easy enough to double the level of service from Marcello's as well, making it a double bargain! Where is it in relation to the Slocan (Best Diner on the East side)? I'll try it out this week and report back.

So will i , we just live around the corner.. would be great to have something so good and so close and cheap.. an extra bonus

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I just returned from a pilgrimage to Slocan and Hastings in search of pizza Nirvana. From Maximillian's post, I somehow assumed the ex-Marcello employee had opened a new restaurant, but from a quick survey up and down the block in all four directions, there doesn't appear to be any new restaurants (although there are several empty stores). Da Francesco, a few doors West of Slocan on the North side of Hastings with "Pizza" and "Pasta" signs in the window, seemed the likeliest place. Is this the restaurant you mean, Max?

Da Francesca has a dozen or so tables that were, reassuringly, about half full at lunch on a Monday. I ordered a large pie to go, and came within inches of rear-ending some poor guy on the way home, so engrossed I was in eating. Yum Yum Yum!

The best pizza I've had in Vancouver. Now I suppose that's a little like being the thinnest Sumo wrestler, but the pizza is actually quite good. Not too sweet, nicely spiced, and properly cheesy without being gooey. My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that the crust was a touch too chewy and a touch too thick in relation to the cheese and toppings. That may have been a result of eating it out of a box in my car - a crust on a vented pan may not have been quite a chewy. $16 for a large (and I mean LARGE) two topping pizza - very reasonable.

Overall, I'm a happy guy. Now, if only these guys would do home delivery....

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

The best pizza I've had in Vancouver. 

Better than Marcello's? I haven't been to Marcello's in awhile, but I remember really enjoying their pizza--especially the slight char on the crust.

(And I know that Adesso isn't a pizza place, but I'm nuts over their ultra-thin, crispy crust. :wub: )

The best pizza I've had in Vancouver.  Now I suppose that's a little like being the thinnest Sumo wrestler, but the pizza is actually quite good.

Whoohoo! Good pizza in the 'hood! Sounds like a great place to sample with the family when the next craving hits. Thanks for the review Lee.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Better than Marcello's? I haven't been to Marcello's in awhile, but I remember really enjoying their pizza--especially the slight char on the crust.

(And I know that Adesso isn't a pizza place, but I'm nuts over their ultra-thin, crispy crust.  :wub: )

I haven't been to Marcello's or Adesso yet. I suppose I should have qualified my comment - "best pizza I've had in Vancouver".

The best pizza I've had in Vancouver.  Now I suppose that's a little like being the thinnest Sumo wrestler, but the pizza is actually quite good.

Whoohoo! Good pizza in the 'hood! Sounds like a great place to sample with the family when the next craving hits. Thanks for the review Lee.

It occurs to me that pizza is much like underwear - whether it's boxers, thongs or briefs, everyone has very strong opinions on what they like and it largely boils down to personal taste. I'm sitting here full to the point of almost sick, having scarfed down 2/3rd's of a very large pie, so it's safe to say I *love* this pizza. Your mileage may vary, but definately give it a try.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

It occurs to me that pizza is much like underwear - whether it's boxers, thongs or briefs, everyone has very strong opinions on what they like and it largely boils down to personal taste.  I'm sitting here full to the point of almost sick, having scarfed down 2/3rd's of a very large pie, so it's safe to say I *love* this pizza.  Your mileage may vary, but definately give it a try.

Please don't tell me you were wearing a thong while eating this pizza. Wait. Maybe I don't want to know the answer. :hmmm::laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

It sounds like you found the source, Vancouver Lee. I haven't been able to get a hold of my informant. I will check it out this weekend.

Frankly, my favorite pizza is from Incendio but Marcello's comes close. I like the Asiago cheese that Incendio uses and the tomato is so fresh. Glad you like the pizza, though.

well we have just returned from Da Francescos (sp?) and yes it is the previous chef from Marcellos, who recently aquired this restaurant a few months ago. And yes the pizza was very good and very large. We had the prosciutto et funghi (large for $13 and it was HUGE!) and a caesar which was also tasty and big which we shared. All in all a great experience and so happy to have it in our neighborhood.

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

is anyone else here bothered by the fact that this chump is reaping the rewards of hard work and the heart that went into the pizza? if marcello lombardo endorses this than go for it. but if he doesn't than i would think more people would be opposed to this. i know i am

bork bork bork

is anyone else here bothered by the fact that this chump is reaping the rewards of hard work and the heart that went into the pizza? if marcello lombardo endorses this than go for it. but if he doesn't than i would think more people would be opposed to this. i know i am

So unless Marcello gives his blessing the "chump" is forever required to either stay with Marcello's or forgo making pizza forever? That makes even less sense to me. :blink:

At least he moved away from The Drive.

A.

For me there was only one chef at Marcello's and last time I checked he was still manning the oven in his white T. What kind of oven do they use at this new place? For me it's the oven and Marcello's skill that makes the place. That being said, I'm happy to try the new place. What's their wine list like?

BTW Chef it's not like Marcello invented pizza.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

For me there was only one chef at Marcello's and last time I checked he was still manning the oven in his white T. What kind of oven do they use at this new place? For me it's the oven and Marcello's skill that makes the place. That being said, I'm happy to try the new place. What's their wine list like?

BTW Chef it's not like Marcello invented pizza.

Hey Coop,

The waitress said he was the chef from Marcellos, (??), also sorry i can't be more helpful with more details, I didn't even look at the wine list being 7 months preggo.. too tempting :raz: , also in re. to the oven, I am not sure about that either, we were in a big rush being already 45 min. late for the Giants game.. I am sure we will frequent the restaurant again soon and hopefully find out more.

Edited by DameD (log)

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

So unless Marcello gives his blessing the "chump" is forever required to either stay with Marcello's or forgo making pizza forever? That makes even less sense to me. :blink:

At least he moved away from The Drive.

A.

would you like it if someone stole your recipes and made money off of it and you lost money because of it? are you a chef or do you work in the industry? i think opinions would differe greatly that being the case. as a cook this really bothers me. for a consumer it'd be a great deal. great pizza at half of what you'd have to pay.

marcello isn't on the drive anymore? where is he? idd he open a new place? damn that guy's busy. what is that, 3 restaurants he's opened now?

bork bork bork

would you like it if someone stole your recipes and made money off of it and you lost money because of it? are you a chef or do you work in the industry? i think opinions would differe greatly that being the case. as a cook this really bothers me. for a consumer it'd be a great deal. great pizza at half of what you'd have to pay.

Chef, I don't work in the industry, but I do work in a field that deals with "intellectual property" all the time. I'm an interior designer, and I can't tell you how many clients pick my brain for hours, free of charge, and then bugger off to IKEA with my ideas. I've trained a number of designers who now work for competitors. Have I lost money? Perhaps, but I can't very well force these people to stay with me can I? The fact is, it's going to happen. And somehow I doubt Marcello (whom I don't know) is going to lose any money because of it.

marcello isn't on the drive anymore? where is he? idd he open a new place? damn that guy's busy. what is that, 3 restaurants he's opened now?

Sorry, I didn't mean Marcello ... I meant the guy who opened Da Francescos is not on The Drive. I would have a propblem if Da Francescos opened up down the street from Marcellos (Kinda like Marcellos did with Lombardo's - did I get that connection right?). There's room enough for all in this city. And like Coop said, it's not like any of these guys actually invented pizza.

A.

Having been in the fashion industry and baking field, this kind of thing happens, it goes along with the trade. Look at the designer knock-offs that people are buying in stores and back alleys.

I don't condone taking someones' hard work and making a profit out of it but it happens all the time.

I go to Marcello's pretty regularly. I have yet to see anything on his menu that you can't find at a thousand other places in North America. Did Marcello invent the Pizza Margaretta? The Caprese Salad? Come on. In the "real world" this happens all the time. If it was a crime marcello would be as guilty as the ex employee.

BTW I'm not a Chef, perhaps it's the fumes from the oven cleaner.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

A) Without a wood burning oven, the new place doesn't warrant discussion.

B) It's not like Marcello's doen't have significant room for improvement.

C) Half the restaurants in the city are ex-employees striking out on their own. Off the top of my head, Star Anise was ex-Bishops staffers. That Indian place next to Cru was started by an former Vij's cook.

I for one am eagerly awaiting the day Gord Martins cooks spin off new ventures, same with Hawksworth and Feenie.

The free market and intellectual property law aren't big buddies.

If I make make a carbon copy of a Vera Burger and call it Waiterburger (trademarked :laugh: ), I'm fine. It only appears to be underhand because it's being brought to our attention, when usually our response is along the lines of "Mmm, this tastes awesome.

Idea and Method theft remain the backbone of growth in our industry, otherwise we'd be stuck in a timewarp circa 1990. If we're quoting the letter of the moral laws we're wading in here, then the cookbook industry is guilty of churning out thousands of carbon copy meals by thousands of amateur and professional chefs year after year. Want my risotto recipe?

I for one am eagerly awaiting the day Gord Martins cooks spin off new ventures, same with Hawksworth and Feenie.

We can dream a little dream...

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Chef Koo:

Others have made the point but there is nothing dishonest about a pizza sous-chef leaving his employer and setting up shop across the street - no more than a mechanic who leaves his employer to set up a garage across the street or a lawyer who leaves a law firm to join a competitor. This is the very nature of free enterprise.