• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck Confit Emergency

peppyre

I made confit for the first time 3 weeks ago, put it in a cast iron crock and put it in the fridge. I thought it was completely sealed in fat but turns out the duck was sitting in about 1 1/2 inches of "jelly" and had about 2 inches of fat on top of it. I'm not sure what to do with it now. Is it still safe to eat? I've never really had straight duck confit before, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste and smell like, so my nose and taste buds won't help. Right now it smells like poultry but the stuff that was completely submerged in the jelly smells a bit "gamey". I've never really had duck before either, doesn't it smell a little stronger? Help!!

Edited by peppyre (log)

Peppyre,

Considering we made confit at the same time (where are those pictures anyway?)I feel I can comment with some authority here :cool:

I too had some of that jelly on the bottom of my dish underneath all that fat. About 3cm or so. We've eaten all the confit (well, except for a bit of cassoulet in the freezer) and nobody here is ill. The duck that was in the jelly did smell a little "gamey-er" but tasted just fine. I remembered Culinary Bear's comment about letting the confit "develop" flavour ... I think this is what he was talking about.

Now bring on the perogies!!

A.

Should be okay - the important bit is that the fat is the relatively impermeable layer. Imagine the fat as the lid on a tin can - as long as the duck was hot (i.e. beyond bacteria-growing temperature) when the fat layer went on, it should still be relatively sterile, and safe.

Let me know how it goes. :)

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

If you have done what culinary bear has described and you are still worried, here is what I would do: dump the confit pieces into a colander and set over boiling water, cover with a lid and steam for 20 minutes. Drain the legs, carefully pat dry and fry on the skin side to crisp.

I saw this done in Gascony in several restaurants where duck confit had been stored in plastic tubs in the walk-in. I never knew how long they were there but I am sure in your case with the amount of time it has been and the fact you kept the confit in the fridge it is probably ok.

Steaming will knock away not only any germs but your trepidation.

You want to enjoy your dinner..right?

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Thank you everyone. After a chat with Daddy-A, I decided that I would just go for it. It seems fine and yes, when it was originally made it was screaming hot and has been in the fridge ever since. I did have a very thick layer of fat on top as well, but I was just a little unsure and thought I would go to the experts. Thank you again. It's now been shredded and placed into smaller jars for gifts and consumption. Now, on to the perogies. (I'm making perogies with confit for a gathering of Van egulleters tomorrow. What can be bad with potatoes, cheese and duck confit :biggrin: