• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery Food

percyn

Putrid shark? Aaaack :wacko:

Apparently, they're very much a delicacy in Iceland. The Icelandic people eat some unusual things, like sheep's head jelly and ram's testicles.

hey I have eaten that stuff.....I agree AAAAAAACK

:rolleyes:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

fish-kalakukko! No idea what that is, though! :unsure:

[ that's the name of the image  :laugh: ]

Haha! no cheating..

Yup! you're all almost right..

It's Kalakukko which is a Finnish dish were you wrap up cured and smoked pork with whole riverfish and dill in a bread dough made of rye!

Next!

One of the many Finnish dishes I am glad my family never retained from the old country :blink:

Haha! no cheating..

It's Kalakukko which is a Finnish dish were you wrap up cured and smoked pork with whole riverfish and dill in a bread dough made of rye!

Next!

I'm glad they didn't. :biggrin: By the way, did they bring Lipeäkala (or Lutfisk)

with them to the New World? which is salt cod that has been put in lye to

make it taste nothing and get a slimey gelatinous consistency. Ussually it's consumed as christmas-lunch!

One of the many Finnish dishes I am glad my family never retained from the old country  :blink:

Haha! no cheating..

Next!

I'm glad they didn't.  :biggrin: By the way, did they bring Lipeäkala (or Lutfisk)

make it taste nothing and get a slimey gelatinous consistency. Ussually it's consumed as christmas-lunch!

I believe Lipeäkala (or Lutfisk) is pretty popular in MN and they even have an anual festival celebrating it.

I can imagine, The Minnesotanslike that stuff. Here in Sweden we eat Lutfisk (lyefish) as lunch with melted butter, 'tatoes and mustardsauce every christmas eve.. There's bad and not so bad lutfisk. some is quite ok some is quite disgusting, depending on how you've treated it.. but plain boiled salt cod is always better!

I'm glad they didn't.  :biggrin: By the way, did they bring Lipeäkala (or Lutfisk)

I believe Lipeäkala (or Lutfisk) is pretty popular in MN and they even have an anual festival celebrating it.

You guys are so good at this game that I decided to show my next mystery food at larger than actual size:

mystery4.jpg

What is that?

Close-up of the Wendy's Chili the finger was found in? :unsure:

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

I should've been clearer, but the close-up photo was of blue potato chips. Milagai and petite tete de chou each win a dinner for two at Wendy's Restaurant in San Jose.

Now I'm looking for the botanical name of that thing that breaks apart into kernels. Not a close-up photo... shown at pretty much actual size.

Okay, I actually do not know what the heck this is, but I've been told it's food.

The winner will be the one who can provide the botanical name and maybe a link.

gallery_18308_142_31609.jpg

Looks like peeled Nisperos (a spanish fruit)