• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fraiche

Marc, have you bought any new shinny gadgetry or machines for me to covet?

mmmm been playing with an ultrasonic atomiser to create aromas and looking at playing with the vacuum clarification idea, L2o have moved down that road if you check their blog as the clarimax is pants to be honest, uses an algea pressed tablet to pass liquid through clarrifying in the process but in simple terms its crap and its far cheaper using the freezer route with mild gelification and the brilliant super bags

have you seen anything new?

Was reading with interest about your methods here

http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/item/3102/23/5/3

Will we be trying any of this on our next visit.?

Have you changed the bespoke recently?

Not of course that, I could'n't eat it again.

Just interested to see what you have up your sleeve,so to speak!

when i get time david il put up the current bespoke as of now think there are new things since your visit

:smile:

as promised david tonights bespoke

Sumac and yogurt tapioca

Melon -196c

Lime extract

cauliflower, mussels and passion fruit

Smoking hens egg

Pickled chantrelles,pea and wild garlic cream

Sweetbread nugget

Tastes of apple

fragrances

Wild brill, fennel confit

Loire quail

morels, beetroot transparent

Fizzy grapes

earl grey semolina

Citrus twists

Collection of sweet textures

Marc, have you bought any new shinny gadgetry or machines for me to covet?

mmmm been playing with an ultrasonic atomiser to create aromas and looking at playing with the vacuum clarification idea, L2o have moved down that road if you check their blog as the clarimax is pants to be honest, uses an algea pressed tablet to pass liquid through clarrifying in the process but in simple terms its crap and its far cheaper using the freezer route with mild gelification and the brilliant super bags

have you seen anything new?

Was reading with interest about your methods here

http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/item/3102/23/5/3

Will we be trying any of this on our next visit.?

Have you changed the bespoke recently?

Not of course that, I could'n't eat it again.

Just interested to see what you have up your sleeve,so to speak!

• 2 months later...

Just came back from a wonderful meal at Fraiche. Foodwise, Liverpool didn't treat me kindly yesterday but the Wirral more than made up for it today!

Right, this will be a quick one since it's 12.30 AM and I need to be up early tomorrow.

To start we had a bowl of super addictive spiced pecans, followed quickly by some black rice and tapioca crackers with yoghurt powder. Then some salted chocolate which was very fun to eat. Parmesan crisp and poppy maple biscuit finished off the snacks.

Amuse: melon soup with lime foam, on top of which the waitress poured some liquid nitrogen. Lovely, fresh start.

Breads 1: Granary, mixed seed, orange and hazelnut, cheese. All very good - warm and pillow-soft. I think my favourite was orange and hazelnut. Just the right amount of citrus and almost like a dessert bread.

1: Fragrances of fig, rose, olive, tomato. Some watercress perked everything up nicely.

Breads 2: More bread, but nobody was complaining. This time came slices of sundried tomato, red onion and pomegranate, mushroom, and white bread.

2: Textures of langoustines. Langoustines done three ways, paired with some watermelon and iberico ham. Can't really go wrong with pork and crustaceans - sort of like really awesome prawns and bacon. Puree (?) of langoustine was heady stuff, like a super intense bisque. Watermelon was surprising but worked very well and prevented flavours from becoming too monotonous.

3: Roasted butternut squash and parmesan ice cream. This was amazing. Served with some smoke in the glass container, the taste of which lingered long after the smoke had diffused.

4: Hit of shitake. Really intense, pure note of shitake and mercifully not thick and heavy. What tasted like coconut foam on top was loved.

5: Wild brill with asparagus. A couple of weeks ago, at the head of this trip, I had an out-of-this-world fish dish at Cinc Sentits which I thought would not be rivaled for a long, long time. But this came pretty damn close. Perfectly cooked brill that had just started to flake. Wonderful asparagus. I think (and I'm really not sure) there was some puffed rice on top.

6: Loire quail with beetroot, fondant potato, artichoke puree. Best quail I've ever eaten. Very prettily pink, super fine-textured, tender and tasty. Went well with the beetroot, mushrooms and artichoke. Fondant potato was a thing of beauty.

Next was desserts, and I think I'll just state what it was, cause if not all you'll get are synonyms for "brilliant". I've eaten at some very fine restaurants on this trip, but I think Fraiche takes the cake for best desserts. Everything was beautifully balanced and light. Lots of fruit, which was right up my alley.

7: Fizzy grapes. Super fun, would love to know how this was done.

8: Popping egg yolk. Blood orange and pop rocks.

9: Rhubarb cloud.

10: Mango and tamarind sorbet. Would never have thought to use tamarind in dessert, but this worked very well.

11: Lemongrass panna cotta with sour cherry foam.

12: Lemon meringue pie. Meringue was frozen in some liquid nitrogen tableside. Very slick and tasted heavenly.

13: Pistachio yoghurt. A sponge of pistachio, which was incredible eaten alone but even better with some frozen yoghurt ice-thing.

14: Roasted strawberry. Came with a cuboid of custard, crystallized rose petals, some pine nuts and a sesame cracker. What's not to like?

15: Coffee blackberry. Some cappucino-like froth/cream encased in blackberry gel. Perfect end to a perfect meal.

So that's it, would've posted pictures if egullet didn't make it so damn hard to do so. Trust me, the plates were very, very pretty. Marc has a good collection of eclectic plates and cutlery going!

Loved everything about Fraiche. Even the decor was amazing - intimate, chic and oh so slick. I liked it very much. I'm glad Fraiche finally got it's Michelin star this year.. the way things are going I'm sure many more will follow. I know I enjoyed my meal here more than some more starred restaurants, which is saying a lot.

Will definitely be back as soon as I've saved up enough money. (Going off to live the life of a poor London student this autumn)

Marc - sorry we didn't wait to meet you. Would've loved to, but the old folks were desperate to get back to the hotel after a long day. My grandmother was falling asleep at the table! Next time, I suppose. Thanks for the fantastic experience. Your front of house team did a super job as well =)

also had a fantastic evening here a couple of weeks ago, some fab food and warm and gracious hospitality from Marc and the team. One of the best meals I've had in recent memory ... and if I lived nearer, I be there at least once a month! It's taken me bloody years to get here but am already plotting a return.

will try and find time to do a full write up this weekend - assuming I can redeem some of my photos via photoshop.

how on earth do you put photos up on here :wacko:

also had a fantastic evening here a couple of weeks ago, some fab food and warm and gracious hospitality from Marc and the team.  One of the best meals I've had in recent memory ... and if I lived nearer, I be there at least once a month!  It's taken me bloody years to get here but am already plotting a return.

will try and find time to do a full write up this weekend - assuming I can redeem some of my photos via photoshop.

gallery_29817_6656_130532.jpg

also had a fantastic evening here a couple of weeks ago, some fab food and warm and gracious hospitality from Marc and the team.  One of the best meals I've had in recent memory ... and if I lived nearer, I be there at least once a month!  It's taken me bloody years to get here but am already plotting a return.

that has nothing on the krypton factor :laugh: im stressed now

gallery_29817_6656_130532.jpg

gallery_29817_6656_228129.jpg

lemon meringue pie new version

yes oliver it will be overhauled and dragged into 2009  :biggrin: its about time i hear you  :raz:

yes still open at present but not sure for how long

Yup, you have to be quite dedicated to get photos on here!!! Are you still opening for lunch just on Fri/Sats at the moment marc?? Are the pics for the website?

Are you still opening for lunch just on Fri/Sats at the moment marc??

Such a shame. Mrs H & I are in the area (well, Stanlow) on Thursday 9/7 and looking for a late lunch. Where else if not Marc's gaff?

John Hartley

For lunch on the wirral I would usually go to either Sawasdee for Thai - with the open kitchen mostly in the small dining room - in Birkenhead or Golden Orchid Thai, in Hoylake for business lunch at £6 - £7 - the food is decent in both places. For Pub food you could try the Wheatsheaf at Raby - not sure what food quality is like (or what the lunch menu contains) but generally people seem to like the place. If the sun is shining then a walk at Parkgate with some fish and chips and an ice cream is nice. There is also the marsh cat restaurant which is popular but I have not been for years.

Another option that may be worth a look is -

http://www.contessahotels.com/hotels.html

I was in the Hillbark last autumn and there seemed to be a tasting menu of about 15 courses. It looks like there is a new hotel in Port Sunlight.

Finally you could try the http://www.thorntonhallhotel.com/dining_italian.html

The chef spent time at old Juniper with Paul Kitching - if he hasn't moved on.

Martin

ive eaten at the wheatsheaf inn recently and the main was good but the starter was disappointing.

i would not eat at hilbark as it is well over priced and the food isn't good. they own the new hotel in port sunlight so dont think it would be much improvement there. also the chef who spent time at juniper has moved on from thorton hall.

hope this is helpful! :smile:

• 1 month later...

Fraiche - 24 May 2009

So … let’s see, culinary bear’s first report was back in 2005 so it has taken me four years to get here … and the only question I have now is “Why did it take me so bloody long to get here?!”

In short, we had a MARVELLOUS time - lovely food, Marc and his fab team were incredibly kind and hospitable to us all evening, and we were even lucky enough to get the menu black - we were very spoilt.

Which is why it is so crap of me to have taken so long to get round to writing this up. And actually, Cavendish had a similar menu so you‘ll have heard most of this already. Sorry about that … but my ramblings and pics below:

Rice crackers yoghurt sumac

Chocolate … (no pic)

Melon -196c lime sour dough

Pork quaver apple toothpaste

3769783026_7674fc1197_m.jpg3768983691_93f5a831a9_m.jpg3768983913_a374574437_m.jpg

The rice crackers were fun, and very reminiscent of prawn crackers, and the melon was very light and refreshing. But it was the pork quaver that completely won me over - pork scratching and apple puree - what’s not to like?!

Seared scallop artichoke per me

Fragrances fig tomato soil

Cauliflower mussels passion fruit (no pic)

Butternut squash smoking parmesan ice cream hit of shitake

3768984149_b3855a9992_m.jpg3769784224_fa2de26557_m.jpg3769784436_f0fff49069_m.jpg

The scallop was very very good indeed and left us with broad smiles on our faces J - and the cauliflower and mussels were a surprisingly successful combination for me. Was less won over by the fig and tomato combination but it was the butternut squash dish that was the winner for me - lovely sweetness tempered by the salt and creaminess of the icecream. One of the best dishes of the night for me-

Lemon sole asparagus chorizo quinoa (no pic)

Loire quail parsley meringue

3768984795_5627b4c26f.jpg

And so to the mains. The lemon sole was good, but the quail was absolutely bloody fantastic. Actually made me stop talking it was so good - and those who know me will appreciate that’s no mean feat!

Fizzy grapes, popping egg yolk, rhubarb cloud

3769784928_2486645e9a_m.jpg3769785132_f47c2e28fd_m.jpg3769785326_b17eb8171a_m.jpg

I guess these were the pre-desserts, and I thought the fizzy grapes were terrific fun, but have yet to figure out how they were made. Clearly I will need to make a return trip ;)!

Lemon grass pannacotta sour cherry (no pic)

Lemon meringue pie

Pistachio yoghurt

Mango textures

Chocolate box (no pic)

3769785460_c24a9b35ac_m.jpg3769785694_3103a9a8f2_m.jpg3768986001_a32e7160ba_m.jpg

Yes, we were greedy enough to eat ALL of the above (and in fact a cheese course as well - I have no shame ...) - and why wouldn’t you when they’re so delicious. Pannacotta delicately flavoured with lovely fruity tartness, and the theatre of the lemon meringue was good fun. Time has dimmed my recollection of the pistachio and mango desserts, but I do remember the chocolate selection being rather damn fine J

We were lucky enough to have a (rather too) long chat with Marc after the meal, and what a star. Generous to a fault, clearly loves what he is doing, and far too bloody humble about his brilliance. In a world of dull identikit modern british gastro-emporiums, Fraiche is an absolute god-send - fabulous food, done with flair and finesse and filled with charming people. What a pleasure to eat there … and I really really want to go back. SOON.

Edited by YKL (log)

• 1 month later...

I am well and truly over due for a visit, just schedule and waistband are so damn tight.

Got PH's Macaron turning up & the lower priced in.gredienti book too (I imagine you already have).

Let me have a think.

• 2 weeks later...

a part of the new site which contains the menu black, future dinners and events, real time availability as in, any reservation spaces that arise are posted on that part, it is in the hope to look after the regulars, also there will be couple of videos in there but not for a little while as time permits lol il send you a password dont worry adey :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Had another ace meal last night, on the Concepts menu. Highlights were sea bass with textures of beetroot, a tomato ice lollie in the shape of a pair of lips, that was described as a virgin mary, but came with a small spray of vodka so you could turn it into a bloody mary!! My descriptions do not do it justice, Marc feel free to interject. As usual, food easily the best in the north west, service via Gemma and co spot on. And managed to park right outside too. Look forward to your future developments Marc.

Had another ace meal last night, on the Concepts menu. Highlights were sea bass with textures of beetroot, a tomato ice lollie in the shape of a pair of lips, that was described as a virgin mary, but came with a small spray of vodka so you could turn it into a bloody mary!! My descriptions do not do it justice, Marc feel free to interject. As usual, food easily the best in the north west, service via Gemma and co spot on. And managed to park right outside too. Look forward to your future developments Marc.

So you had my table :biggrin:

Only joking of course.

Spoke to Marc last week in the faint hope of a table for last night, but no luck.

Fingers crossed for a cancellation soon.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1