• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Chaat

percyn

i love this: discovering two of my favorite people to have the same mental age as myself, between 2-4, would you say?

p.s. should it not be "there is no cure FOR episure'?

p.p.s. 'beaten peddy' seems to me, judging from the directions to soak and drain, to be chivda/poha. What on earth are 'peas balls', though? i dread to ask, it may set off the Teriible Two on a fresh round of punning!

g

Edited by v. gautam (log)

:huh: Gautam it's not my fault she started it first and here I was trying to turn over a new mint leaf in the chatni. But we better quit now before we change this forum into a chaat room and go on with our (gol)gappas. :laugh:

baby.gif

Pan, here is an easy chaat for you:

boiled potatoes cut into chunks

boiled garbanzo beans

tamarind juice

chopped green chillis marinated in lime juice

chopped onion

red chilli powder

salt preferably rock salt

ginger/galangal juliennes

Mix everything together and top with shredded mint/parsley/basil leaves.

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

i am afraid to ask, but vada pav? is that like a vada burger?

gee. why? plain vada or vada in dahi is perfectly heavenly. why spoil a good thing?

Actually Vada Pav is very popular in cities like Bombay. It is not the same Vada as the south Indian one; this one has a potato stuffing, like a samosa, but the coating is thin like a normal vada.

There is a new Indian restaurant near my office and I had my first chaat ever about three weeks ago - a spicy samosa chaat. I've had about 5 more since then! All the pictures posted above make me want to try them all.

With the samosa chaat, I love how the layers of spices, ingredients, and textures are so wide ranging and complimentary. The spicy and cooling, the soft and chunchy. I may need to have one today!

I realize there are many variations of chaats. Any recommendations and descriptions?

Knowledge is good.

• 2 years later...

Bhel Poori is great party food.

I do it in a make-your-own system, as depicted here:

gallery_47551_5076_80427.jpg

I put the potato and apple together, everything else separately.

mbjesq

www.memestream.org

mbjesq

www.memestream.org

My recent pani poori binge in Bandra is chronicled in "Liquid Lunch" at www.memestream.org.

Well written article and very interesting work that you are doing...keep it up !!

..I put the potato and apple together, everything else separately.

I was not aware that Bhel had apples. Is this a personal or regional preference?

My recent pani poori binge in Bandra is chronicled in "Liquid Lunch" at www.memestream.org.

Well written article and very interesting work that you are doing...keep it up !!

..I put the potato and apple together, everything else separately.

I was not aware that Bhel had apples. Is this a personal or regional preference?

Most of the Bhel addicts I know are Gujus, and I'm pretty sure they use apple along with the potato. Of course, these are the same folks who cannot cook water without sugar or jaggery, so consider the source. Still, apples add nice crunch and sweetness.

mbjesq

www.memestream.org