• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Haagen-Dazs Topic

Pan

Did they ever make sherbet? I seem to remember being given some H-D raspberry sherbet (not sorbet) and thinking it was amazing.

Chocolate is my favorite, I think. For some reason, I like the dulce de leche frozen yogurt better than the same flavor in ice cream.

I really like those sorbet bars too.

I don't know about sherbet, but I loved the "Sorbet and Cream" line they had years ago. Vanilla Ice Cream with a swirl of tart sorbet running through it. I remember orange, raspberry and lime. Lime was the tartest, my favorite, and it was about the same white color as the vanilla, so it was more of a tart surprise when you ate it.

strawberry and coffee are my favorites.

HD strawberry was the first "real" food i remember eating. tastes like being 2.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember Carrot Cake.

That line, (Carrot Cake Explosion, something with Brownies in it....can't remember others, but I think they all had bits of cake in them) was around about the time of the wonderful Sorbet and Cream (wah) line. Maybe a bit before. We're talking what? ten years maybe?

....and to think they almost didnt do a full release of dulce de leche ...it was originally only going to be for hispanic regions

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Mmm, I'm just finishing up a pint of Dulce de Leche (bad Deborah! Bad!)

Edited to clarify that there was some already eaten, so I haven't eaten the entire thing at one sitting (although God knows I've done that, too).

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

....and to think they almost didnt do a full release of dulce de leche ...it was originally only going to be for hispanic regions

Yes. I remember when we first started getting it in Texas. My relatives in Missouri and Atlanta hadn't even heard of it.

But then I read that the first month it was for sale in Miami, it outsold vanilla.

That apparently caused the Haagen-Dazs folks to do some quick rethinking.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

HD holds a special place in my heart. I worked at a scoop shop two summers (and one winter break) during college. It was back in the days when you could still get the t-shirts with the names of the flavors on them (coffee, vanilla swiss almond, chocolate, honey (remember honey?), peach, etc.) though we didn't wear them in our shop. Instead, we wore white button down shirts, black pants or shorts, and an HD apron.

We did hand-dipped ice cream bars in the shop. For each other, we'd triple dip the bar: chocolate ice cream, dipped first in dark chocolate, then milk, then dark again and finally rolled in chocolate sprinkles. Talk about decadent! Ordering a "scoop" in a cup usually meant you'd get a pint packed into a cup.

These days I don't eat much HD, having moved over to the Ben & Jerry's camp for all but vanilla. But oh, those memories!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Flavors schmavors. Back in the days when they had only the basic 4, I used to make outrageously good HD milkshakes. 1 pint vanilla + 1 pint chocolate + a dollop of chocolate syrup (Hershey's - yes, I know, gauche, but this was 30 years ago) + milk to taste = nirvana.

Didn't have any sort of mixer, just kind of beat it all up with a fork till it got to the right consistency. Yummmmmmmm.........

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I love HD's coffee ice cream.

I moved recently and was excited to see a Haagen-Dazs store around the corner from my new apartment. I figured that I could buy cheap pints; I can't. In fact, pints are even more expensive there than they are at the price-gouging corner store. Why is this? Luckily, my supermarket of choice (Fairway) sells pints 2 for $4.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I love HD's coffee ice cream.

I moved recently and was excited to see a Haagen-Dazs store around the corner from my new apartment. I figured that I could buy cheap pints; I can't. In fact, pints are even more expensive there than they are at the price-gouging corner store. Why is this? Luckily, my supermarket of choice (Fairway) sells pints 2 for $4.

Good lord, if you want to feel lucky, remember that in Vancouver we're paying $5 or $6 a pint! Even in Canadian dollars, it's a lot of cash!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a new flavor tonight: Triple Chocolate. It was excellent, a must for chocolate lovers. The three types of chocolate are chocolate fudge swirl, truffle pieces (yum!) and cocoa. You can read about this flavor and see the ingredients here.

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, have you ever tried Godiva? (It reminds me of HD before Pillsbury bought it.) Just asking. I like HD too.

Triple Chocolate sounds good! My two favorites are Strawberry and the Vanilla Yogurt Rasperry Sorbet swirl. I eat all the flavors though, especially the limited editions.

typo edit

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

My favourites are green tea, macadamia nut, apple pie, and coffee, not necessarily in that order. Thankfully I live in Japan, so I can get all of those. I'd hate to be without my green tea ice cream!

I noticed that another difference between the US and Japanese sites is the frozen treats--has the US ever had the crispy treats or parfaits? And poor Canada! It's got the fewest products of all :sad: !

I haven't found the mango coconut at any of my local Haagen-Dazs stores, yet but I did try the Chai. Not bad, but a bit medicinal tasting. And I really like chai (the beverage--homemade, none of that instant crap).

HD holds a special place in my heart.  I worked at a scoop shop two summers (and one winter break) during college. It was back in the days when you could still get the t-shirts with the names of the flavors on them (coffee, vanilla swiss almond, chocolate, honey (remember honey?), peach, etc.) though we didn't wear them in our shop. Instead, we wore white button down shirts, black pants or shorts, and an HD apron.

I'm so glad you typed this! My cousin Laura had a Boysenberry shirt back in the eighties. She's about 8 years older than me, and I was maybe 7. I thought it was the coolest shirt ever, and started ordering the Boysenberry sorbet just to be cool like her. Perhaps I'll need to find one of these on eBay. :smile:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my favorite flavors have not been mentioned!

(unfortunately, many of them are 'limited edition' and are no longer around)

In no particular order:

Chocolate Turtle

Vanilla Fudge Brownie

Peaches N Cream (probably my favorite of the limited editions....)

Black Walnut

And then the classics: Coffee, Rum Raisin, Mint Chip.

I noticed at the store just yesterday that the new "Light" varieties were completely sold out. I'll have to try at least one and see if the change is detectable.... they have only changed the cream to milk ratio and not added any stabilizers or anything, so the potential for greatness is there, as well as the risk of icy-ness.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Rum Raisin. God I haven't had it in years, Must buy Rum Raisin! Great the junkie be back on the RR again. Where are Janis Joplin and Silvia Path when you need them.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren