• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Haagen-Dazs Topic

Pan

Yes, I know some of you are artisanal ice cream makers and wouldn't touch any mass-produced product in a million years. This thread is not for you. :laugh:

I am not ashamed to tell you that I am a long-time fan of Haagen-Dazs. Artisanal gelato it's not, but I can get it at any hour of the day or night at my corner store, and it puts a smile on my face.

Back in my college years, the late, lamented Elberta Peach was my favorite for everyday (well, everynight) eating, Rum Raisin when getting a buzz (yes, I still get a slight buzz off the rum in it!) was OK, and Vanilla Swiss Almond to share with my roommate (still a friend after all these years).

Nowadays, I have their frozen yogurt more often than ice cream. Less fat (fewer calories, too, but who's counting? :laugh::hmmm:), easier on my stomach, but admittedly not as tasty. For frozen yogurt, I go for Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Fudge Brownie. But when I go for ice cream, the Dulce de Leche is lovely (much creamier and more satisfying than the yogurt!), and I still sometimes get Rum Raisin (though it's a little hard on my digestion). Today, I tried a new one: Mocha Almond Fudge. I looked at the ingredients to ascertain that there wasn't much coffee in it, because I didn't want an overpowering coffee taste. Verdict? It's very good. I could actually stand for there to be somewhat more coffee taste, but it's good stuff, and I'll no doubt get it again.

So, what's your favorite flavor?

You can look at the Haagen-Dazs website for reference and pure enjoyment. Their front page is featuring "Triple Chocolate" now. I don't think I've seen that one yet . . .

Michael aka "Pan"

Well, I don't think I've ever met a Haagen-Dazs I didn't like. I've always thought of myself as a bit of a maverick, trying new things, chafing at imposed restraints and yet, upon reflection,my favorite flavor is...vanilla frozen yogurt. Oh God! I'm turning into my mother!

My favorites are the cherry vanilla and cookie dough, neither of which is available in Japan... :angry:

It looks like the flavors vary by country, the new products listed for Japan I can't find on the US page. They are from left to right:

chai

melon

mango-coconut

panna cotta-raspberry

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

i am soooo addicted to apple pie flavour :biggrin: it has big chunks of pie crust and apple filling and the ice cream tastes like the gooey in-between.

i never seen to get a good piece of apple pie a la mode in japan - this is the next best thing!!

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

No contest -- Chocolate Peanut Butter.

Runner-up = Dulce de Leche.

During my year in Japan, the Haagen-Dazs store in the basement of the department store over the Hamamastu train station (Yaohan? It's been a while.) was my main psychological link to home.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Back in my coffee-phobic days, I had to pull an all-nighter at college and sauntered down to the dorm coffee shop to buy some Haagen-Dasz. The only flavor they had, ironically, was coffee! :blink: This is probably where I developed a taste for the tasty little bean.

But the drunken little fruits in Rum Raisin always made that flavor my favorite. Now if Haagen-Dasz would just concoct a no-sugar-added version, maybe I could enjoy it again. :sad:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Very interesting flavors in Japan ... too bad those are not available here. What I find interesting is the readically different flavor and texture of ice creams varying from country to country and even in cities. Here in Vancouver there is often no commercially made ice crean which is worth eating, imo, however we are lucky to have some fabulous gelati shops.

I want panna cotta-raspberry - that sounds divine!

My alltime favorite but I'm not up on all the new flavors etc. is vanilla swiss almond, it brings back fond memories and the almonds used to taste good. Haven't had this in about 10 years!

This thread brings back memories...

I grew up in Holland and remember about 15 or so years ago when I first started traveling in North America that one of the things I always looked forward to was Haagen Dazs. One of the first things I would do is buy a tub and retreat to my hotel/motel/tent and devour it. Belgian Chocolate or Double Chocolate Chip used to be my favorite. I still have a photo in an old album of myself in front of a Haagen-Dazs truck parked outside a gas station. The grin on my face in that picture still makes me smile.

A few years later they started selling it in Holland but only in a handful of select places. On most Friday nights I would take a 30 minute detour on my way home from work to get myself a tub for the weekend. This was quite a treat and an expensive one, one tub cost about the equivalent of $10 back then.

Since then I moved to Canada and now have abundant access to the stuff. I still like it (Dulce de Leche being my favorite) but it has lost its magic a long time ago. It is still the ice cream of choice however, I probably will never stray from the good old HD!

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

In order of favorites, I would say

1) Coffee -- probably one of the best coffee ice creams there is, by any commercial ice cream manufacturer.

2) Chocolate -- this is THE benchmark chocolate ice cream, in my opinion. Their plain vanilla is also excellent, but I dont like it straight, its good with pie or as accompaniment to another dessert, or in a float.

3) Strawberry -- great natural strawberry flavor. I like it best in Shake form.

4) Dulce de Leche -- one of the newer flavors, but one of their best. The tres leches they introduced recently isn't as good.

5) Macadamia Brittle -- Just vanilla and macadamia nut brittle. Simple in concept, but incredibly good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In the new line of "mousses" the Vanilla Mousse and Chocolate Mousse are two of the best ice creams ever packaged IMO. Hard to get, though, because mostly I find the fancier sounding kinds like Strawberry Cheesecake and these are not too good. In the standard flavors, I like Coffee.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Dulce de Leche is my absolute favourite, though to be fair, I've only tried maybe 5-6 of their offerings.

Whenever I open a pint of Dulce de Leche, I always finish it. I try not to buy it too often.  :wink:

Exactly my predicament... I love Dulce de Leche too. I try not to buy it often because I can't stop eating it till it's gone. I've been smitten with the charms and silky texture (or is it just an my imagination?) of the new Creme Brulee flavor.

The tres leches they introduced recently isn't as good.

Good, more for me. My new favorite. OD'd on the Dulce de Leche.

I miss the Carrot Cake Explosion one. of the 'newer' flavors Bananas Foster is very very dangerous.

Carrot Cake? I must have missed that one. Bananas Foster does sound inviting, I'll have to try it.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Jason, I have to agree that their Tres Leches is not interesting (yes, more for you, Lia :biggrin:). I forgot about the Mango flavor. Yes, it's very pleasant. Creamy, nice, seemingly fresh fruit taste.

One flavor I've had trouble with is the Pistachio. When it's good, it's very nice, but sometimes, I've come across rotten pistachios in it. :hmmm::shock:

I don't remember Carrot Cake. Does anyone know if some flavors are by design or otherwise distributed only in certain parts of the US or only parts of any other countries?

Michael aka "Pan"

I love rock hard, spoon-bending Haagen-Daz ice creams!

The mango, raspberry and chocolate sorbets are wonderful. Very nice concentration of flavors.

Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry are great. I don't care much for ice creams that are jam packed with stuff. Just the basics, please.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I do have to admit we haven't bought Haagen Dazs on a regular basis in a while. We usually buy the ice cream brands that are on sale these days, Edy's being the one that frequently is discounted at our local Shop Rite. That being said, I am actually quite impressed with what Edys is doing lately. They have an awesome Spumoni flavor, as well as a new Girl Scout Cookie line -- I've tried the Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookie with Chocolate Ice Cream, and its outrageous. I really want to try the other two flavors.

During the summer months Blovie and I frequently take an evening walk to the Haagen-Dazs shop up near Columbia U. We figure the 1.5 mile walk is permission enough for eating ice cream.

I've been a fan of their Cookies 'n Cream for about 20 years now. But when I'm feeling a little crazy I go with the Mocha Almond Chip. The Chocolate Peanut Butter is pretty good as well - but I always need to drink water with it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The Pistachio is excellent also. I always have a hard time deciding between Pistachio and Rum Raisin, so I'll get both. Sometimes Dulce de Leche, other times the Mango sorbet. Sometimes I get distracted by Godiva, which is always near Haagen-Dazs.

Now I have to try the coffee.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

In all my other posts on this thread, I was referring to ice cream if not otherwise identified as yogurt. I find the sorbet too sugary. I feel the same way about "fat-free" muffins I've had. I guess I prefer a little fat with my sugar. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

My favorite Haagen Dazs flavor is Chocolate Chocolate Mint. Which is chocolate mint flavored ice cream with nice thin chips (I hate large chocolate chips that get gritty when you chew them). Unfortunately, it has only ever been available at scoop shops, never packaged at the grocery store.

In order of favorites, I would say

1) Coffee -- probably one of the best coffee ice creams there is, by any commercial ice cream manufacturer.

Yes! In the midst of all those other complicated flavors I forgot about their plain and simple Coffee. Great stuff, especially when topped with some really good bittersweet chocolate sauce. A few months ago, Walgreens, for some reason, was running an outrageous sale on HD. By the time I was able to get there, midway through the week, all that remained was Coffee. Lucky me.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I really like the Bananas Foster and Rum Raisin.

(I thought I didn't like Rum Raisin Ice cream until I tasted their version).

For a temporary flavor, the Baily's is excellent.

For sorbets, I really like the Peach. A great sorbet flavor they used to have (either it was discontinued or was a 'special;) was Margarita. I wish they would bring that back.

edited to add: I now must try the coffee... :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"