• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Haagen-Dazs Topic

Pan

Tried the 5 ingredient "Brown Sugar". It was darn tasty. There was a bit of an odd texture, but I figured that was lack of stabilizers and junk. Stranger for me was a distinct coating in my mouth. Maybe the cream?

I thought the texture was weird too. Kinda grainy.

Who has tried the Häagen Dazs 5 flavors?  There are a few flavors in this line. The claim is that they  have 5 ingredients in them

I picked up a container of the Coffee over the weekend.  Milk, Cream, Sugar, Eggs, Coffee. Those are the ingredients.  Not sure how it compares to their normal coffee ice cream when it comes to ingredients.   I still have not tapped into it, but will later tonight (yes, its 14 ounces)

I thought the passion fruit flavor had a strange aftertaste. Almost medicinal.

Also the texture is oddly smooth. You'll see what I mean.

I noticed no odd after taste in the coffee flavor. It was smooth. Not sure if it was odd, though. Really, I thought the ice cream was pretty tasty. I should by a container of the standard coffee and compare it side by side.

Had a one serving cup of standard coffee. It has 5 ingredients! Cream may have come before milk. It was nice. Hope the "5 Ingredient" labelled stuff isn't premium priced!

I got them on sale for 2.37 each, which I thought was an excellent price. This was @ Kroger in Michigan. I havent seen it( nor I doubt we will) in Ontario. The majority of ice cream here is made with modified milk ingredients or isnt even ice cream, rather Frozen Dessert.

I really wanted to try the "Limited Edition" Hagan- Daz flavors, but didnt want to shell out 5.99 for less than a pint.

My husband has never really had Haagen-Daz before so I have the pleasure of introducing the different flavors to him. So far he's tried Rocky Road (loves it, especially the soft marshmallow goo), Caramel Cone (weakest of the bunch), Dulce de Leche (his favorite so far, super good), Chocolate Peanut Butter (very good but no "Reeses Peanut Butter cups"), Mango (eh, he's not into mangos but I love it!), Vanilla/Toffee Crunch bars (very good) and Chocolate/Dark Chocolate bars (very, very good). My small town store also carries Vanilla, Java Chip, Chocolate, Strawberry and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Guess I'll get Java Chip next...in addition to another Dulce de Leche. It's shaping up to be a fattening weekend. :rolleyes:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 3 weeks later...

I had the "Five" brown sugar variety a few weeks ago, and while it was certainly not unenjoyable, it simply ... wasn't Haagen-Dazs. It reminded me a lot of ice creams I make in my Cuisinart ice cream machine at home; that is to say, tasty and not bad, but also not ... professional?

Nothing tops the creaminess and texture of HD vanilla to me. I love the stuff.

I've never been a big fan of chocolate ice cream, but recently I tried the HD Reserve Amazon Valley Chocolate and it's great. Not too sweet, not cloying.

I did try the Brown Sugar and it was good but a bit boring. I haven't tried the 5 ingredients coffee, but HD coffee has always been my favorite commercial ice cream.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a new to me haagan daz this evening. Banana Split. NAASTY! it claimed to be whipped cream and banana ice cream with a chocolate ripple. and there was a picture of a strawberry with it. When i got it home it mentioned on the side cherries. Well. It had a chocolate ripple, but the only discernible taste in the ice cream was fake cherry. really really nasty.

• 3 weeks later...
I had the "Five" brown sugar variety a few weeks ago, and while it was certainly not unenjoyable, it simply ... wasn't Haagen-Dazs. It reminded me a lot of ice creams I make in my Cuisinart ice cream machine at home; that is to say, tasty and not bad, but also not ... professional?

Nothing tops the creaminess and texture of HD vanilla to me. I love the stuff.

I had the same feeling - it had the mouthfeel and slight grainyness that I get when I make ice cream at home. The only difference was that it didn't get as hard as my ice cream at home. But I loved the molasses-y flavor. I should have tried it with some fresh nectarines, maybe sauteed in a little butter. Or better yet, with the peach hand pies I made a couple of weeks ago. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "five" mint was delicious. I had a friend who made some homemade mint ice cream the other day, and this was nearly identical. Of course, DBF asked me why it wasn't green. :raz:

One of the best commercial ice creams I've had in a long time. Of course, it was better after I topped it with chopped dark chocolate.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Wow, nothing since 2009? I just came across Sesame Brittle ice cream. This is a winner. Toasted sesame ice cream with crunchy pieces of honeyed sesame brittle in it. I sometimes wonder why I go through the charade of scooping some ice cream into a dish. I always go back for the rest of it in short order. Well, at least it's not a full pint any more. :laugh:

• Like 3

I haven't tried a new flavor in a really long time. Most flavors in Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's never make it to where I live, especially the ones that sound like something I might want to try, but a few new-ish ones trickle through now and then. I noticed the local store has the salted caramel gelato in but I haven't been tempted to buy it so far. On the rare occasion I buy Haagen Dazs, I usually just grab boring ol' mint chip.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

On sale at Shoprite ...I have a coupon...better get the right caramel core

When I was sick years ago all I wanted was Campbell's Homestyle Chicken Noodle soup and Coffee Heath Bar Crunch

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 year later...

I just bought Bourbon Praline Pecan ice cream. I was so looking forward to it. But it is revolting! It has tons of maple syrup in it. I do not like maple syrup. Why would anyone sneak maple syrup into something called Bourbon Praline Pecan ice cream? Very bad. :(

A local convenience store decided to stop carrying Haagen-Dazs and is selling all of their stock for about half the normal price. While I generally avoid buying it, that made it tempting. Unfortunately, by the time I finally decided I was tempted, other than some flavors from their "spirits" series which don't really interest me, they'd been pretty picked over already. "Snooze, you lose" was certainly appropriate this time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Haagen-Dazs is my favorite commercial ice cream but more often than not I am disappointed.  Vanilla, strawberry, and coffee are mostly harmless.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou