• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Haagen-Dazs Topic

Pan

My favorite HD shoppe flavor for many years was Chocolate Swiss Almond.  I used to bemoan the fact that they didn't sell it in grocery stores, until they stopped making it altogether.[...]

They did NOT! You were apparently lied to. Look here:

Vanilla Swiss Almond

sadly, they did.... it was chocolate swiss almond- a chocolate ice cream version.

been gone a very long time. :angry:

still not quite over it

Sorry for misreading that.

I had Vanilla Swiss Almond again fairly recently and no longer like the flavor much. I find it rather insipid and do believe I'd prefer Chocolate Swiss Almond, if they still made it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Tried the new caramelized pear flavor. It's great! I might have found a new favorite. I also like mayan chocolate and their vanilla.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

I've tried the Roasted Pear.... decent but not outstanding.

Fig - would love to try. I adore figs.

For over the top sweet I definitely like the Cinnamon Dulce de Leche - like eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch for grownups! That pint didn't last long. :wub:

I've found their Dutch Chocolate (light) flavor to be quite good, though I did notice their more recent re-labeling puts the calorie count up to 200 from 180 per serving. "Love" when manufacturers do that... :angry:

Both rum raisin and the vanilla bean (I think, rather than plain 'vanilla') get points for their boozy taste... Can ya tell frozen treats are my weakness?

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I've tried the Roasted Pear.... decent but not outstanding. 

Fig - would love to try.  I adore figs.

For over the top sweet I definitely like the Cinnamon Dulce de Leche - like eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch for grownups!  That pint didn't last long:wub:

I've found their Dutch Chocolate (light) flavor to be quite good, though I did notice their more recent re-labeling puts the calorie count up to 200 from 180 per serving.  "Love" when manufacturers do that...  :angry:

Both rum raisin and the vanilla bean (I think, rather than plain 'vanilla') get points for their boozy taste...  Can ya tell frozen treats are my weakness?

I agree on the cinnamon dulce de leche. Good stuff.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

• 4 months later...

I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if this has been brought up, but does anyone remember when they pushed a line of gelato? Wow that chocolate gelato was good. It was like a gateway drug. I had no clue what gelato was, then I had some of it and was like "wait, there's stuff out there that's BETTER than ice cream?!?"

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I am blown away Fleur de sel caramel, wow wow wow, I tried to avoid the ice cream section, but couldnt help it, I had one bite and made the girlfriend take it and hide it, wow was it great.  Best Haagen dazs ever!

I concur. Fleur de sel caramel is my new obsession. I hid it from my husband!!! :cool:

New obsession - Chocolate Peanut Butter. I bought a pint a couple of days ago and looked for more today, it's all gone from 3 supermarkets in the area. When I'll find it again I'll stock up.

There's a pint of Vanilla Honey Bee waiting in the freezer right now, we'll see how that goes.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

• 3 weeks later...
New obsession - Chocolate Peanut Butter. I bought a pint a couple of days ago and looked for more today, it's all gone from 3 supermarkets in the area. When I'll find it again I'll stock up.

For many years this has been my big favorite if I make it over to one of their scoop shops. I have never seen it in pints. :sad:

Even sadder there was once briefly a lovely Peanut Butter flavor Ice cream with a fudge swirl and I think it had something crunchy in there too.... It was so awsome, and sold so briefly it breaks my heart. It feels like it was all just a lovely dream. Does anyone remeber this flavor besides me?

Edited by butterscotch (log)

I found it again at one of the supermarkets in Sunnyside, they had 2 pints and I got them both, of course. The flavor-finder on their website proved to be pretty much useless, it sent me all over Manhattan unsuccessfully. But anyway. It does have some crunchiness but no fudge swirl and it comes with the black top (not sure if this means limited edition or new flavor or what).

Vanilla Honey Bee was mildly disappointing. Tried the Fleur de Sel Caramel and I have mixed feelings about it (I feel that there is too much contrast between a fairly bland base ice-cream and the too big pieces of chocolate hearts with caramel filling). I want to try the Acai next (0 calories!!!!???) but I'm sure that for a while the Chocolate Peanut Butter will be my favorite guilty pleasure.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

• 5 months later...

I too was in love with the Fleur de Sel Caramel batch. That is, until I found an easy -- and IMO, better -- replacement.

Simply grind some good sea salt onto Haagen-Dazs vanilla and then top with quality maple syrup. The two combine into a salty-maple-caramel taste, and I find I add more salt than I first anticipated.

Addicting!

Tried the new caramelized pear flavor. It's great! I might have found a new favorite. I also like mayan chocolate and their vanilla.

I made my own version of this for Thanksgiving this year - I used David Lebovitz's recipes from "The Perfect Scoop". I included too many pecans, I think, but the pear ice cream was one I definately want to make again.

• 5 weeks later...

There's a pint of Vanilla Honey Bee waiting in the freezer right now, we'll see how that goes.

You might want to try Target if they have a freezer section - that's the only store in Albuquerque that stocks chocolate peanut butter.

Kudos to HD for figuring out a way to pack a truly insane amount of calories per serving in that stuff. 370 or something like that? Sheesh.

Oh, and that is the flavor choice for filling the best freakin' ice cream sandwiches in the state: Harry's Roadhouse sandwich

:wub:

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Who has tried the Häagen Dazs 5 flavors? There are a few flavors in this line. The claim is that they have 5 ingredients in them

I picked up a container of the Coffee over the weekend. Milk, Cream, Sugar, Eggs, Coffee. Those are the ingredients. Not sure how it compares to their normal coffee ice cream when it comes to ingredients. I still have not tapped into it, but will later tonight (yes, its 14 ounces)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Who has tried the Häagen Dazs 5 flavors?  There are a few flavors in this line. The claim is that they  have 5 ingredients in them

I picked up a container of the Coffee over the weekend.  Milk, Cream, Sugar, Eggs, Coffee. Those are the ingredients.  Not sure how it compares to their normal coffee ice cream when it comes to ingredients.  I still have not tapped into it, but will later tonight (yes, its 14 ounces)

I thought the passion fruit flavor had a strange aftertaste. Almost medicinal.

Also the texture is oddly smooth. You'll see what I mean.

Who has tried the Häagen Dazs 5 flavors?  There are a few flavors in this line. The claim is that they  have 5 ingredients in them

I picked up a container of the Coffee over the weekend.  Milk, Cream, Sugar, Eggs, Coffee. Those are the ingredients.  Not sure how it compares to their normal coffee ice cream when it comes to ingredients.   I still have not tapped into it, but will later tonight (yes, its 14 ounces)

I noticed no odd after taste in the coffee flavor. It was smooth. Not sure if it was odd, though. Really, I thought the ice cream was pretty tasty. I should by a container of the standard coffee and compare it side by side.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 months later...

Tried the 5 ingredient "Brown Sugar". It was darn tasty. There was a bit of an odd texture, but I figured that was lack of stabilizers and junk. Stranger for me was a distinct coating in my mouth. Maybe the cream?

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a container of the Coffee over the weekend.  Milk, Cream, Sugar, Eggs, Coffee. Those are the ingredients.  Not sure how it compares to their normal coffee ice cream when it comes to ingredients.   I still have not tapped into it, but will later tonight (yes, its 14 ounces)

I noticed no odd after taste in the coffee flavor. It was smooth. Not sure if it was odd, though. Really, I thought the ice cream was pretty tasty. I should by a container of the standard coffee and compare it side by side.

Had a one serving cup of standard coffee. It has 5 ingredients! Cream may have come before milk. It was nice. Hope the "5 Ingredient" labelled stuff isn't premium priced!