• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: arbuclo - Dubai is a long way from Montana, baby!

arbuclo

This is fascinating! Those pictures of the shops are gorgeous, looks very similar to Japan (but much cheaper! :angry: ) especially with the trimming and individual wrapping of the fruit.

Carrefour is my favorite store in Japan too! :biggrin:

They have somethings you can buy from the barels but they seem to be getting less and less as the Japanese don't seem to be familiar with this concept....

so sad about the barrels... :sad: I was indeed fascinated by how preciously the Goodies man was taking care of those fruit and veg. Everyone should treat their food that carefully!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Back to the gas.  Does someone deliver?  Do you have a guage on the tank so you have an idea of when you are almost out?  Up at our cabin, we are lucky to have a 250 gallon tank with a guage, so we know when we need to have the gas man come and gas it up.

LOL, who knew that the gas was such an interesting subject! No gauges on the darned bottles. I only noticed that the bottle was running out because it was taking so darned long for the pot to boil. Then I observed that the flame was low and kinda intermittent. I looked at the bottles to see if they had the amount of gas written on them but I'm not sure they do. And I'm a horrible judge of volumes without a measure mark, though I'm very certain that they're much much smaller than 250 gallon! I'll try to take a picture.

Yep, they deliver and our water is delivered too. (The water here is desalinated and it still tastes salty. Not too thirst quenching for us so we buy water. Each of the 5 gallon bottles costs 8 dirhams, delivered!)

[edited to clarify]

Edited by arbuclo (log)

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Day 2: The cat like things had to be fed first...again, demanding little things that they are! I ate one of the apricot walnut muffins, a baby banana and had a glass of tongue twisting grapefruit juice.

OK, let's play "what IS this and what DO I do with it?" (and I don't know the answers so you could just make stuff up if you wanted! :wink: ) If you have links to info or recipes, I'll love you forever! :raz:

gallery_18_3_24612.jpg

gallery_18_3_37518.jpg

This picture I took because I thought "super seeds" was a riotous claim. Why are they super? Do you get a cape when you buy them? Do they let you have xray vision and a bionic ear? Why are the Iranian ones orange? Have they used too much fake tan? Been cavorting with carrots? I need answers (or, as you can see, I'll come up with some freakish stories of my own)!!

gallery_18_3_4425.jpg

The section these were in had a couple of signs that identified the fruit and veg, though I didn't seem to be able to work it all out and of course it didn't tell me how to use 'em. I think the sign indicatd that the brown rock things were "koorka". Hope they're softer and tastier than a rock! They've sure met the ugly stick, haven't they?

gallery_18_3_29751.jpg

I worked out that the middle things were banana flower and banana "stick"?! from the sign. I've seen banana flower before unsure how to use it.

gallery_18_3_138683.jpg

and more questions without pictures.

Red spinach, which looks a little neonish, does it taste like regular spinach? It could add some interesting colour to spinach fillings, that's certain.

:angry: Darn, can't read my hand writing for this one. I think I wrote down "hab haries" which looked like barley. Does that vagueness ring any bells?

How about frike? It looked a lot like cracked wheat.

I swear I do this every trip to the grocery store...write down the names of things that I don't know then try to goodle it. I only figure it out about half the time. I suspect it's because of the variances in spelling... (I'm not gonna take the blame for being a dunderhead!)

And another question, though food appliance related. What's with putting salt in your dishwasher? Here all the dishwashers have a place where you put in special dishwasher salt. To soften the water? I find it ironic since the water here has salt removed and then we put it back.

Thank you for all the lovely comments on my pictures and nice comments in general. You're all so nice! :wub:

Freekeh is a green cracked wheat that has been lightly roasted.

half way down this page is a recipe for chicken freekeh that is very good.

There are some other recipes here that are more complex but also quite good and are mostly recipes for one or two people.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

OK, let's play "what IS this and what DO I do with it?"  (and I don't know the answers so you could just make stuff up if you wanted!  :wink: )  If you have links to info or recipes, I'll love you forever!  :raz:

gallery_18_3_24612.jpg

[...]

Those look like very high-quality hibiscus flowers to me. If so, I'm using some right now (organic from Tanzania, but probably of somewhat lower quality)! They make a good, bracingly-tart tea. People have also made sorbets from them and so forth. They're a good ingredient.

In terms of what to do with banana flower and stem, here are some threads for you to refer to:

Banana flower & stem on the India Forum

Preparing Banana Blossoms

I've never, to my knowledge, had banana stem, and there's clearly more to be said about what to do with it.

I have an unrelated question:

My experience of Dubai is limited to changing planes on the way to Kuala Lumpur and back in July-August 2003. I couldn't help noticing that people smoke all over the airport (though, ironically, there is a "smoking lounge" in a particular room). Do you find that there is thick cigarette smoke everywhere you shop and go out for a meal or snack?

Thanks in advance for your answer, and I'm looking forward to more pictures! And now, I think I'll have some more hibiscus tea. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

andiesenji and Pan, thanks for the info so far re my mystery foods.

Pan, funny you should mention the smoke. Just last week we went to a wine tasting dinner at Verre (Gordon Ramsay's restaurant here) and we were sitting not far from about 6 smokers. It was very difficult to figure out bouquet and flavour of wine when all I could make out was cigarette smoke! Fortunately there was an extra table and they could move us.

Smoking was supposedly going to be outlawed in malls, I think it was (an article came out in October last year). However it may be like many laws here and not really enforced. So, people smoke anywhere and it can be unpleasant for a nonsmoker. They do have non-smoking sections in restaurants, though those aren't necessarily that effective. Fortunately this time of year lots of doors are open because the weather is terrific. Also there are a lot of high ceilings around which help too. Additionally, there is smoke from the sheesha pipes to contend with. Oddly I like the smell of sheesha smoke; much preferred to tobacco smoke.

Ok, here are our gas bottles. To add perspective, the small one is about 2 feet high and the bigger one is approx 3 feet.

gallery_12852_828_145850.jpg

The writing may indicate the volume, what do you think??

Just had a Columbian passionfruit, or at least that's what the Goodies fruit boy told me it was when I bought it. He said it was like caviar inside! It looked nothing like the passionfruit that grow so easily in Australia. And it didn't taste a lot like it either, it's not tart at all.

gallery_12852_828_148168.jpg

gallery_12852_828_255523.jpg

What are they smoking in their sheesha pipes?

Also, and more on-topic, what kind of interaction have you had with your neighbors and have you shared food and drink with some of them? I'm also wondering whether new foreign residents get any invites to celebrations of Eid and other Muslim holidays celebrated there. (I believe you would have been there during the recent Eid al-Adha.) I'm sure the foods for Eid in the Emirates must be delicious! Perhaps you bought some at a market?

Michael aka "Pan"

What are they smoking in their sheesha pipes?

Also, and more on-topic, what kind of interaction have you had with your neighbors and have you shared food and drink with some of them? I'm also wondering whether new foreign residents get any invites to celebrations of Eid and other Muslim holidays celebrated there. (I believe you would have been there during the recent Eid al-Adha.) I'm sure the foods for Eid in the Emirates must be delicious! Perhaps you bought some at a market?

They smoke mostly apple tobacco, though I don't know if it's actually tobacco nor how it gets "appley".

Where I live I'm mostly surrounded by western expats. I believe one of my immediate neighbours is Arabic but they've been away a lot and we haven't yet met them. To date nearly everyone I've met has been from the UK. I'd swear I was in London except the weather's way too nice for that! That's one of the big reason's I'm looking forward to starting work in a couple of weeks. The local office apparently is only about 15% westerners and the rest are Arab nationals or Asian. Might be able to report more on Eid experiences of food later.

I did have a lovely Sri Lankan experience, though. The woman who comes to clean my house once a week is Sri Lankan. I like to bake quite often and have to give much of it away or my husband and I would be 400 pounds each. Since I'd been giving her muffins, cookies, etc, she made us string hoppers and potato curry in return. And even better, it happened on the day the sea freight arrived and I couldn't move all the things out of the kitchen to prepare a meal anyway! I asked her more about string hoppers and she's gonna show me how she makes them. :biggrin:

[...]

I did have a lovely Sri Lankan experience, though.  The woman who comes to clean my house once a week is Sri Lankan.  I like to bake quite often and have to give much of it away or my husband and I would be 400 pounds each.  Since I'd been giving her muffins, cookies, etc, she made us string hoppers and potato curry in return.  And even better, it happened on the day the sea freight arrived and I couldn't move all the things out of the kitchen to prepare a meal anyway!  I asked her more about string hoppers and she's gonna show me how she makes them.  :biggrin:

That's great! I'm sure your cleaning lady appreciates being treated with respect and kindness.

When I last visited Malaysia in 2003, my parents stayed for a time at a "villa" (really a kind of fairly rough outbuilding) owned by a sometimes-absentee former-government-official landlord by the South China Sea. He had an Indonesian servant who also was deputized to clean clothes for us as part of the return for the rent my parents were paying. My mother at first thought she wasn't nice, but I said I had had some conversations with her and found her perfectly OK. And I had the idea that the next time we bought some fruit at market, we should do the thing rural Malays normally do with neighbors: Give her some. So we gave her a kilo or half-kilo of rambutan or jambu air (water apples? I forget the English name) or mangosteen or bananas each time we came back from a market while I was there. Seeing that we were treating her nicely, she baked some tasty cakes for us and brought them over. We ultimately deduced that she had been accustomed to nasty treatment from her employer, and therefore had good reason to be suspicious of us until we showed her we were good people. Decency and caring goes a long way, and sharing food can be a very good way to show that.

Michael aka "Pan"

That's great! I'm sure your cleaning lady appreciates being treated with respect and kindness.

When I last visited Malaysia in 2003, my parents stayed for a time at a "villa" (really a kind of fairly rough outbuilding) owned by a sometimes-absentee former-government-official landlord by the South China Sea. He had an Indonesian servant who also was deputized to clean clothes for us as part of the return for the rent my parents were paying. My mother at first thought she wasn't nice, but I said I had had some conversations with her and found her perfectly OK. And I had the idea that the next time we bought some fruit at market, we should do the thing rural Malays normally do with neighbors: Give her some. So we gave her a kilo or half-kilo of rambutan or jambu air (water apples? I forget the English name) or mangosteen or bananas each time we came back from a market while I was there. Seeing that we were treating her nicely, she baked some tasty cakes for us and brought them over. We ultimately deduced that she had been accustomed to nasty treatment from her employer, and therefore had good reason to be suspicious of us until we showed her we were good people. Decency and caring goes a long way, and sharing food can be a very good way to show that.

I couldn't agree more and part of my "cunning plan" was that she'd hopefully share with me if I shared with her! I always love to learn about what people eat in countries I'm not very familiar with, but I'm a bit shy about asking.

Arbuclo - this is a great read, I am especially enjoying all the lush colours of the markets.

I have one question, you mentionned that people eat only with their left hand - I feel a bit silly asking, but why is that? I suspect its a religious thing?

As an aside - Pan - 'water apples' (I don't recall the english name either) are the most delicious things. When I lived in Costa Rica, a korean friend of mine brought a bag of them to class one day. That was the first and only time I've tasted them, but thanks for reminding me of a delicious memory. :smile:

the tall drink of water...

Artubuclo-

With your enthusiastic and generous attitude no doubt you will be invited into the home of an Arab Muslim family. Be prepared to eat more like feast! The courses don't stop especially if you are the guest of honour they will make it a point to "show off" their cuisine. I suggest not eating for a few days, because if you don't eat enough they will be insulted. :biggrin:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Arbuclo - this is a great read, I am especially enjoying all the lush colours of the markets.

I have one question, you mentionned that people eat only with their left hand - I feel a bit silly asking, but why is that? I suspect its a religious thing?

I'm unsure as to whether the Quran says anything about eating with your left hand but as I understand it, it's a hygene thing. Won't explain more as I'm sure can figure it out!

Artubuclo-

With your enthusiastic and generous attitude no doubt you will be invited into the home of an Arab Muslim family. Be prepared to eat more like feast! The courses don't stop especially if you are the guest of honour they will make it a point to "show off" their cuisine. I suggest not eating for a few days, because if you don't eat enough they will be insulted.  :biggrin:

:laugh: Thanks for the tips and vote of confidence! I'd love to stuff myself silly on some new cuisine made by people in their own homes!

I'm unsure as to whether the Quran says anything about eating with your left hand but as I understand it, it's a hygene thing. Won't explain more as I'm sure can figure it out!

The left hand is for putting food into the mouth, the right hand is for wiping the other end. :wink:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

arbuclo-wow, a person has to look in some odd places for a Montanan! I am loving your thread. I love your beautious photos. I have a question about the kebabs, as well. I noticed they were on some very nice-looking aluminum (?) skewers. Are they sold that way? All we get are bamboo skewers, if they are prepared ahead for take out cooking. They look scrumptious, and I thought to myself that I am sure I would have a considerable bunch of skewers in no time--unless maybe there's something like a deposit.

Where are youall from in Montana? We (DH and myself) are in Billings, but he was born in Great Falls. Anyway, excellently interesting thread; I passionately love to learn about other cultures.

arbuclo-wow, a person has to look in some odd places for a Montanan! I am loving your thread. I love your beautious photos. I have a question about the kebabs, as well. I noticed they were on some very nice-looking aluminum (?) skewers. Are they sold that way? All we get are bamboo skewers, if they are prepared ahead for take out cooking. They look scrumptious, and I thought to myself that I am sure I would have a considerable bunch of skewers in no time--unless maybe there's something like a deposit.

Where are youall from in Montana? We (DH and myself) are in Billings, but he was born in Great Falls. Anyway, excellently interesting thread; I passionately love to learn about other cultures.

Hi! I grew up in Three Forks and I thought I could mention it here since forks are food related! (Though the name actually comes from the 3 rivers that form to make the Missouri river.)

I really am unsure on the skewers. You're right in that they're hefty metal ones. Since you can eat them at the shop, they have tables out on balcony perhaps they're only for consumption there. Anyone else know the answer?

Karkade is indeed used for hibiscus drinks, and is popular in Sudan also.

Koorka is a chinese potato, a root vegetable that can be served in a curry sauce.

The super seeds (the arabic label says "excellent seeds") look like a relative of pumpkin seeds, the ubiquitious arab snack.

Freekeh is a roasted Lebanese grain, green cracked wheat, similar to bulgur/wheat. It has a wonderful smoky texture and appealing color. To prepare it, melt some butter or oil in a pan and add the freekeh, stirring to lightly toast. Then add stock or water to cover and simmer for about 25 mins, until the liquid is absorbed. Often served with chicken and pearl onions.

Because Dubai is 80% expat, I understand that Western traditions are prevalent. If you get a chance, you must go to a traditional family meal, not just for the food but for the social customs and traditions that you can share in. The experience as a whole is wonderful, and the courses just keep coming! Because it is rude to stop eating before other people are finished, take small bites and eat as slowly as possible.

A lot of times our maid would offer to cook for us for a minimal price. Though I mostly cooked for myself (I was a little uncomfortable with having help to begin with), occaisionally she would bring us wonderful bowls of spreads, salads or pilafs to stock the fridge. I am glad you have such a good relationship with the Sri Lankan woman, and that you can have future exchanges.