• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: arbuclo - Dubai is a long way from Montana, baby!

arbuclo

I shoulda said that the eggs were actually brunch. We didn’t have anything else until dinner except for some banana bars. I decided you couldn’t visit me in The City of Gold without actually going to the gold souk, so that’s where we’ve taken you tonight.

gallery_18_3_208541.jpg

gallery_18_3_63198.jpg

We grabbed some shwarma from a shop near the souk. I had a chicken one and hubby had lamb. Also had my fave juice, mango. The shwarma were absolutely yumdiddlyumptius! Not very big, but sublime.

This is how they cook the meat.

gallery_18_3_201105.jpg

My shwarma had chicken, lettuce, tomato and some sauce that seemed like a thin hummus.

gallery_18_3_111163.jpg

Though we didn’t get any of these coconuts to drink I thought that they were blog worthy.

gallery_18_3_11445.jpg

On the way back home tonight I made hubby detour so that I could take you for some Happy Corn. There are also some Magic Corn stands around here too. Don't know exactly what makes the corn "happy" or "magic" but it's a nice snack and it can be healthy if you have them reduce the amount of butter they put into it. You tell them the size of container and you have a choice of. Among the flavours are chile, garlic, chicken, salt, pepper, cheese, and lemon (I’m sure there were more, I just can’t recall them all!). I had chile, garlic, salt and pepper with some lemon dashed into the mix. Hubby just went with garlic and salt. Mmmm!

gallery_18_3_113342.jpg

gallery_18_3_112129.jpg

When we got home that significant other of mine decided he was still hungry so I grilled up a ricotta and chile paste sandwich for him.

gallery_18_3_154035.jpg

And we both had some more of that luscious Ben and Jerry's for dessert.

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Well, that’s about it from me. (Oh, no! I don’t want to say good-bye. :sad:) Thanks so much for visiting! If you ever come here for real you must let me know so we can go eat something together. Take care, and have a great time reading the next blog, I know I will! :biggrin:

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

OK, i'm officially making this tomorrow's breakfast!!!! From one zaatar addict to another....

You definitely should. It's terrific. Let me know what you think...

Well, that’s about it from me.  (Oh, no!  I don’t want to say good-bye. :sad:)  Thanks so much for visiting!  If you ever come here for real you must let me know so we can go eat something together.  Take care, and have a great time reading the next blog, I know I will! :biggrin:

Over? No, no, it can't be over, can't you just keep blogging and blogging and...oh, hold it, you're right, you can't, at least not with this intensity.

Really enjoyed all the experiences and food. Should I end up in Dubai any time soon I'll surely take you up on your offer.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Ya gotta love zaatar, huh?  So do you buy the croissants, slice them open and sprinkle zaatar inside or do you put zaatar in during the making of the croissants?

Well at home we only did it with croissants already baked (that is, slice them open etc... as you said), but i'm pretty sure it works as well if added during the making. Sometimes i like to add zaatar to unbaked puffed pastry dough and bake it in the oven until it...well...puffs, so if this works, it should work with unbaked croissants too.

Just a note though: instead of sprinkling it dry, i moisten the zaatar with olive oil and use it as a spread rather...

and YES I looooove zaatar :wub:

I add zaatar to aioli - heaven! It is great to spread on bread of any kind, for dipping things, such as oven roasted potato wedges, skins and all, deep fried eggplant or zucchini or similar squash sticks, and etc.

I take the large soft and thin flatbread I get at the local middle eastern market, spread it with this aioli/zaatar mixture then with very thin sliced cheese I also buy at the market (I don't know the name, I point, get a taste and buy.)

Then roll it up into a cylinder and cut it into rounds that are just about 2-bite size. Great for nibbling. A bit more of the aioli/zaatar can be schmered on the top cut side if desired - I often do!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, that’s about it from me.  (Oh, no!  I don’t want to say good-bye. :sad:)  Thanks so much for visiting!  If you ever come here for real you must let me know so we can go eat something together.  Take care, and have a great time reading the next blog, I know I will! :biggrin:

You can post photos of interesting things you discover on an individual basis without blogging.

I know I would be fascinated to see unusual things you discover as you continue to live in this most interesting and cosmopolitan place.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Actually, I liked the pistachio nougat fine it was the rose petals I didn't really enjoy eating (sorry, I wasn't clear!).  But the pistachio nougat did indeed have some sort of different flavour to it, kinda floral.  I don't think it was mastic since, if I understand correctly, mastic has an aniseed taste.  (I HATE aniseed!)

I wonder if it could have been flavored with Kewra Water. Fleur de Kewra.

It has long been used in some Indian sweets but according to the wife of the owner of the middle eastern market here in town, it has been creeping westward for years and shows up in some sweets and baked items. They carry it in the market and it sells to more than Indian customers. I was given a recipe for a pastry that when finished looks like an empanada, shaped like a half-moon, and filled with a mixture of nuts, sugar, spice and uses either rose water, orange flower water or kewra water.

Over?! It can't be over!

I've enjoyed this so much. Thanks for the beautiful pictures, for answering my questions, and visiting the date shop.

A few quick notes:

Love those funny little corn snacks.

One of my favorite appetizers is to make a paste with olive oil and zaatar, spread on rounds of crusty bread (baguettes are nice) and toast. I am in the zaatar lover catagory- croissants sound brilliant.

And don't forget to visit the Middle East forum to share your discoveries!

My thanks to you for a wonderful blog! I am looking forward to having the time to go back to it and read it again more thoroughly; I was not able to keep up with it live!!

The time you put into this is greatly appreciated. You did a beautiful job.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanks, arbuclo, for a wonderful blog! I have been spending about 10 minutes of my morning break with my Saudi student reading your posts and pictures. After the first 2 days, the rest of the class, all international students mostly from China, all crowded into the cubicle too!

Turki told me before that he used to drink camel milk every morning, so it was interesting for me to see the picture comparing cow's milk to camel's. All the pictures were great. Turki thanks you too!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Even though I've been silent, I've really enjoyed reading this blog and seeing all the wonderful pictures.

I also want to say thanks for all the great ideas for using zaatar - I never would have thought to try it over eggs. I also have The Cooks Companion (a hostess gift from friends from Australia), and now I'll have to go delve into it again.

Thanks!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Actually, I liked the pistachio nougat fine it was the rose petals I didn't really enjoy eating (sorry, I wasn't clear!).  But the pistachio nougat did indeed have some sort of different flavour to it, kinda floral.  I don't think it was mastic since, if I understand correctly, mastic has an aniseed taste.  (I HATE aniseed!)

I wonder if it could have been flavored with Kewra Water. Fleur de Kewra.

It has long been used in some Indian sweets but according to the wife of the owner of the middle eastern market here in town, it has been creeping westward for years and shows up in some sweets and baked items. They carry it in the market and it sells to more than Indian customers. I was given a recipe for a pastry that when finished looks like an empanada, shaped like a half-moon, and filled with a mixture of nuts, sugar, spice and uses either rose water, orange flower water or kewra water.

Andiesenji, I think you've nailed it down (for me anyway). What I had in those pastries was definitely floral. Thanks.

Oh, thank you so much for all your kind words about the blog, all the wonderful ideas and fascinating and useful information. I'll see you around eGullet, and perhaps here, some day!

A quick note of appreciation for such a candid and fascinating blog, both in the culinary and visual sense. You've offered us some fabulous insight on life in Dubai, and I've greatly enjoyed reading about your week. Thanks very much!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thank you so much for offering us a glimpse into a window of your life in a fascinating city. Great pictures, interesting info, and a thoroughly enjoyable peek.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.