• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cardamom Seeds

I've most practice at using the green, but I think I've used the white also. Never used the bigger, brown ones. BUT, now that Sandra Levine and I successfully bartered Mrs. Balbir Singh's Indian Cookery (as I ended up with two) on my part for a jar of brown cardamoms (given to me), I'm going to use them in a curry. Sandra and I have an idea of us both making (independently) the same dish from MBS's book and reporting back.

Sandra I might have to believe you are Indian.  You do what Indians do.  We use the brown ones for savory dishes and the green ones for desserts and some pilafs and savory dishes.

Also in desserts we normally grind the seeds into a very fine powder and sprinkle it at the very end.  If we use the pods whole, they are added to the syrup as it cooks to flavor the syrup with a depth of cardamom flavor.

The white ones have the same flavor as the green.  They have more of an aesthetic value.  Since at many mughal banquets meals were planned around colors.  So for those white sauces it would be wrong to use green cardamom seeds.  So bleached green ones were used instead.

And shall I be the taste tester for each of your Balbir Singh recipe???  What a great idea.  While her books are not the easiest to read, I have heard from my mother and several of her peer that Mrs. Singh was a genius.

Thank you for the compliment.  I do love Indian food, as I know it.  I regret that I have not actually been to India.

If you are tasting, it might be better for each of us to prepare a different dish -- to test the book, in other words, rather than turn the tasting into a cooking competition!

In flipping through Mrs. Singh's book, I saw that she has a recipe for ras malai, my favorite Indian dessert. It appears to

be quite an undertaking, and far more calorific than I realized. (My capacity for self-delusion is unlimited.)  I plan to make the ras malai one day, to see what they are really supposed to be like.

I was surprised that cardamon goes arguably with chocolate as well, under certain circumstances. Christian Constant, the French chocolatier (and not the chef at Violin d'Ingres), pairs cardamon with his little dark chocolates.  :wink:

Chocolate and cardamom have been paired for some time now I am told.  In Europe cardamom has either had fans or found disdain.  Cardamom does  that to many.

Debauve and Gallais have chocolate with cardamom in their temple of choclate in Paris. It is my favorite chocolate shop in the world.  But what attitude they give.

Blintzes with Cheese filling with cardamom... Wow!  Sandra.. how do you make these???  Where did y ou get this inspiration? recipe? care to share?

I wish I could take credit, but the idea for the cardamom came from The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas.  This book was recently updated and revised and I don't know if the blintz recipe survived.  It's a basic blintz filling, using a pound of Hoop cheese (I often use farmer cheese, as Hoop cheese is not as readily available.  I enrich it with some cream cheese.)

I add a little lemon juice and sugar to taste, a couple of eggs, cinnamon and some pounded cardamom seeds (to taste).  I put the filling into crepes, roll up (folding in the filling on all sides, and usually bake them in a well-butered pan, after anointing the tops with melted butter as well, rather than frying them, because I like to pretend that baking is less fattening than frying.  This amount of filling makes enough to fill 12 crepes.

• 2 weeks later...

a chocolate & cardamom combo sounds very appealing to me

what about adding a dash of feshly ground cardamom to coffee as it is brewing?  mmmmmm.....

i did not realize there were varieties.  ai.  the cardamom seeds i have are brown and look like mouse droppings.  and i shopped at  atalanta's largest indian grocery.  next time in i will inquire about different types.

Yes people have been known to add cardamom seed powder to their coffee.

In India we use brown cardamom seeds more for savory dishes alone.  They are more intense in their flavor and also give a very woody and deep taste.

The green or white ones are used for desserts and certain savory dishes.

I am sure the market you go to in ATlanta has all of them.