• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinking on the Drive

eatglobally

I was pleasantly surprised that the dining and more so drinking culture on Commercial Drive is changing. I dropped by the WaaZuBee Cafe for the first time in almost six years. They have a new chef Andre Tremblay from Cafe Barney and Ouzie Bistro and some very interesting martini's and wines by the glass. The wine list had 24 wines by the glass as well as several wine flights available. Seemingly the wine guy is a sommelier and has changed the whole wine scene around at the restaurant. Food was average but I would highly recommend dropping by for a beverage if you are on the drive. This place has the best drinks available in this waste land of vegan's. Thank God for a Wine Guy finally on the drive and some good old bbqd meat at Memphis Blues.

Ralph

No culture exists without food and drink

At the risk of being too obvious, there is no such thing as an interesting Martini. If it's interesting, it's not a martini, it's some sickly sweet concoction devised to booze up people that don't like booze, and allow them to pretend to be more sophisticated drinkers than they really are.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

At the risk of being too obvious, there is no such thing as an interesting Martini. If it's interesting, it's not a martini, it's some sickly sweet concoction devised to booze up people that don't like booze, and allow them to pretend to be more sophisticated drinkers than they really are. 

Oh, and welcome to the board.

Thanks Keith.... they are interesting in the fact the bar has 12 different Gins and 8 diffrent vodkas... all premium brands and 30-40% less than drinking them downtown.

Sorry, I filter everything through a crabby filter, sometimes what comes out isn't too nice.

We could still argue about the inappropriteness of Vodka in a martini though.

Come to think of it, I basicly object to vodka, period. The excellent Vesper ios the only exception. And a bloodymary/ceasar.

I've only drink at the Latin Quarter, but it was 12-y-o Irish, so it was pretty good in my books.

I believe there's a group of us who can attest to the 'goodness' of the sangria at Latin Quarter. Heck, we taste-tested 4 or 5 pitchers of it a couple of months ago, just to be sure. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks Keith.... they are interesting in the fact the bar has 12 different Gins and 8 diffrent vodkas... all premium brands and  30-40% less than drinking them downtown.

You handled Mr. Grumpy Talent quite nicely! :wink::wink:

Realy glad to hear Wazubee has changed. I was last there over 10 years ago. Loved the food, but found the service really surley. Twelve different gins? Sorry Moosh, I have a new watering hole on the Drive!

A.

Thanks Keith.... they are interesting in the fact the bar has 12 different Gins and 8 diffrent vodkas... all premium brands and  30-40% less than drinking them downtown.

You handled Mr. Grumpy Talent quite nicely! :wink::wink:

Realy glad to hear Wazubee has changed. I was last there over 10 years ago. Loved the food, but found the service really surley. Twelve different gins? Sorry Moosh, I have a new watering hole on the Drive!

A.

Arne, please make sure your passport has been updated before you try and return to the Drive. Can you get there from Burnaby ?

And Dude, I think that I might be to old for Wazubee and well, you are old enough to be my older Norwegian Kitchen Designer friend. ( that will not get us a free drink anywhere ! )

Seriously, the last time I was in Wazubee, Rodney Strong Cab was $24.00 a bottle, $2.00 over list price. I enjoyed the wine but the "thumpus non-interuptus" started to get to me as well as the not so great service. I am glad to hear things have changed.

What about Bukowski's. I have never darkened their doorway. What is it like ?

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I've only drink at the Latin Quarter, but it was 12-y-o Irish, so it was pretty good in my books.

I believe there's a group of us who can attest to the 'goodness' of the sangria at Latin Quarter. Heck, we taste-tested 4 or 5 pitchers of it a couple of months ago, just to be sure. :wink:

Umm...Joie...It was only a month ago. Are you still drinking the sangria?

Bukowski's was a favorite haunt for and Aussie friend and I. Great drinks, reasonable prices. It's been a couple years but I can't imagine that it's changed that much.

Edited by peppyre (log)

Checked out a couple of the places mentioned by you.... still think the wines at WaaZuBee blow anything away on the drink front on Commercial. Dropped by there again this evening for some dessert and a flight of dessert wines: Clos Vegouts (France), Taylor Fladgate LBV , and a black currant wine from B.C. Not bad for 6oz of wine for 9.95$.

Ralph

Checked out a couple of the places mentioned by you.... still think the wines at WaaZuBee blow anything away on the drink front on Commercial. Dropped by there again this evening for some dessert and a flight of dessert wines: Clos Vegouts (France), Taylor Fladgate LBV , and a black currant wine from B.C. Not bad for 6oz of wine for 9.95$.

Ralph

Sounds like Ralph has intimate knowledge of the contents of the bar at Wazubee. What say you eatglobally? Are you involved with these folk or just really like them? No worries either way, just wondering.

J & I were at Bukowskis about a year ago. Won't darken their door again :cool: Too many better places on the Drive.

A.

Nope.... just like drinking good booze at reasonable prices. Jut moved back here from LA and it's refreshing to see the changes all over the city. Spending time checking out the drive then off to Main Street next week.

Ralph

Hello e-gullet readers...

I just noticed a thread re: drinking on the drive. Just to let you know I am taking care of the drinks program at the WaaZuBee Cafe that was mentioned. It is interesting to see the comments and rest assured that the service has much improved but not at the pace of the new wine and spirit program that I am developing. I'll keep you all posted as I revamp the drinks lists and I'll organise an event for all of you to sample the new items.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I can definitely recommend Waazubeez for Sunday bruch, solid & liquid. We had a fabulous New Year's brunch, with several Bottles of de Venoges Rose Champagne at $70, which is about $10 above retail. It went very nicely with their fabulous Bennies.

The belly rules the mind.