• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens (Part 1)

Marlene

. . . . .

Of course, now I just have to get  This :biggrin:

Yes mam! By all means. That is the size and shape that I find most versatile. Way back when I started collecting the stuff that was recommended as my first piece. By golly, the recommendor was right! Can't wait to hear what you do with that hunk-o-cow.

I am thinking I want to do some beef this weekend. Back to the book.

This was on sale at the Le Creuset outlet near me. They call it a risotto pot, but it is the same thing. Got it for under $80: it was a second, but you can't tell that anything is wrong with it. I am ready to start braising now. ;)

I had 9- 3 inch ribs. I'm sorry, but I have clue how much they weighed!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Did the braised leeks with bacon the other night. Outstanding. I made a few changes.

I added a few hunks of smoked bacon ends to the braise. I just couldn't fathom braising these leeks without some bacon chunks in there.

I had also crisped some lardons, per the instructions. I doubled the amount of lardons, partly because I used about 1/2 again as many leeks as Molly suggests, hoping for leftovers.

I could have upped the lardons even more. At the end of the meal, as the lazy susan of our table runs around, forks start appearing, and the bacon bits are the first to go.

Suffice to say, I fixed more than I thought I'd need with an eye to making the tart, but this was not to be the case. Five people, 1-1/2 times the recipe, and I was left with about half a leek, no bacon, and some liquid which I froze to use in something.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I just got this book in the mail today and tried the braised cauliflower with bread crumbs, capers, and lemon. Very good, definitely better than steamed, though I think I still like roasted cauliflower better. I ground up my bread crumbs pretty fine, but I think they would be better left a little coarse; during the course of dinner they became a little bit wet from the cauliflower and weren't as crispy anymore. I think coarser bread crumbs would have mitigated that.

BTW, if anyone doesn't have the book yet but wants it, I got it for $10 at zooba.com. It's a membership club, but you only have to buy 3 books at $10 each.

Ok, before I get to dinner tonight, I have to say, I finally found a use for my little 2.5 quart Le Creuset. Well, it's long and slow, so it's technically a braise I guess. Baked beans about to go into the oven. I forgot to take a picture of them coming out but they were awesome.

gallery_6080_825_42122.jpg

Tonight we did the Caribbean Pork Shoulder. I know gourmande isn't fond of this one, but we really like it. :raz:

One of the nicest things about this braise is it's simplicity. No browing of meat, no chopping of aromatics etc. The spice rub is simple and quick to put together and then you just let it sit for 12 to 24 hours. Score the pork fat (should I mention that a cleaver is a marvelous knife for scoring fat?) and rub the spice mixture all over.

Be sure to get a nice fat cap on the pork shoulder. You'll need it for the finishing touch.

gallery_6080_825_25942.jpg

when you're ready to braise, set the oven temp. I use 245 (sorry Molly but 300 is just too high!) and add a 1/4 cup of water. I actually use a 1/4 cup of pork stock instead.

When it's done, take it out and turn the oven to 475. In the meantime, degrease the juices in the pan, but I don't strain them. At least not yet.

gallery_6080_825_22193.jpg

One of the twists I do with this is to add a cup of pork stock to the degreased juices and reduce the sauce by about half.

While the sauce is reducing, slide the pork (that you've transferred to a baking sheet) into the heated oven.

Bake it until the fat layer is crispy and sizzling.

gallery_6080_825_48247.jpg

When the sauce is reduced, strain it.

gallery_6080_825_19259.jpg

And the finished product. This is so tender it is pretty much pull apart. And very juicy.

gallery_6080_825_3811.jpg

Marlene

That is a beautiful piece of pork. I am having a hard time finding a really good one lately but I have been wanting to try this recipe. The fact that is one of the less fiddly recipes appeals to me. I like what you did with the pork stock. I have been seeing pork neck bones lately and I think I need some pork stock for the freezer.

Meant to add . . . My little 2 1/2 qt oval is perfect for a half pound of beans, usually that is enough of any type of bean at one time that I want to deal with.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Exactly. Since we have the beans as a side dish, a half pound of beans is just right for the three of us! Snowangel pointed me in the direction of this recipe and I've made it twice in two weeks now! I just cut the recipe in half and it's perfect. Baked Beans

Oh, and for the pork, it really needs to be a boneless shoulder. I tried this once with a bone in shoulder and it wasn't nearly as nice.

Marlene

I'm sold . . . Caribbean Pork Shoulder and baked beans coming up next week. Oddly enough, it looks like a good match even if it does look a bit cross cultural. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Um, well I didn't actually serve the baked beans with the pork. But yes, I suppose you could. :biggrin: They were part of sunday's dinner of BBQ ribs. I just wanted to share my new discovery. :rolleyes:

Marlene

I just received Molly's book as a gift from my wonderful boyfriend today and we are excited to get started on some of the recipes. I have been reading through this thread and it is nice to get some tips on how some of the recipes have turned out. I'll probably get cooking out of it this week. :biggrin:

I just received Molly's book as a gift from my wonderful boyfriend today and we are excited to get started on some of the recipes. I have been reading through this thread and it is nice to get some tips on how some of the recipes have turned out. I'll probably get cooking out of it this week.  :biggrin:

Congratulations on your acquisition! It is indeed a wonderful book.

Remind yourself. Especially on the longer braising meat dishes, lower the temp from what she suggests to 250-275 degrees (F).

Better yet, sit down and review this topic with the book and make notes in the book. It's what I do every time I give this book as a gift.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Marlene:

I made your short ribs with port, honey and wine. Absolutely SUPERB! I served them with creamy scalloped potatoes and steamed green beans. Raves all around...thanks. This is a real make for company over and over again dish.

I think I like them better than the maple glazed ones in AAB. And they are pretty darned good.

Um, thanks, but the baked bean recipe is not mine! I merely made it! The short rib recipe is from Bon Appetit but it's heavily adapted since I thought their quantities were way out of wack and I added a couple of things to it. :smile:

Marlene

Exactly.  Since we have the beans as a side dish, a half pound of beans is just right for the three of us!  Snowangel pointed me in the direction of this recipe and I've made it twice in two weeks now!  I just cut the recipe in half and it's perfect. Baked Beans

Oh, and for the pork, it really needs to be a boneless shoulder.  I tried this once with a bone in shoulder and it wasn't nearly as nice.

Marlene,

This may sound like a silly question, but why is it necessary to tie the ribs? Your Bon Appetit adaption looks amazing, and I want to try it. I've never made ribs before. Is it because they fall apart too much?

Thanks!

Pam

If you get them english cut, not flanken, then yes they do tend to fall apart while cooking. I didn't tie them the first time I braised english style short ribs and I had problems.

Marlene

I tried the sauerbraten yesterday... fabulous.

However, I doubled the amount of berries (juniper and allspice), bay, clove, salt and pepper called for in the marinade; marinated longer than 72 hours (just because unforeseen events screwed up my schedule); and kept my oven temp at 250 to maintain the gentle simmer.

The final results were outstanding: fork tender meat and a tangy sweet sour sauce that my husband simply adored.

Good to know! I am torn between making the souerbraten or the brisket with honey and rhubarb *sub granny smith for rhurbarb* for the day after Thanksgiving. What did you serve as a side dish? I haven't gone thru the whole thread so you might have already said. Anyway -nice to know it was yummy!

I'm going to try the Rhubarb and Honey Brisket next.  Stay tuned.  :biggrin:

Ok - I know you were making this back in May. And I might have missed the follow up report on how it turned out but I went thru the thread and didn't see it - so if you remember - will you please say what you thought?

Or if anyone else has made this please give a report. I am spending Thanksgiving with my boyfriends family (for the 2nd time) and he and I are going to cook dinner the night after Turkey Day. I was thinking of making this - subbing granny smiths for the rhubarb as suggested in the cookbook.

Also - we are going to sub plain apple cider for the alcohol (white wine or hard cider is recommended) as his family does not drink or cook with any alcohol. Does anyone have an opinion on subbing the apple cider for the wine/hard cider? Should I add some cider vinegar or is that going overboard?

Any thoughts / tips would be appreciated.

THANKS

Della

Della . . . I don't see anything wrong with your substitutions. Just keep in mind that each one is upping the sweet note. Your suggestion of the cider vinegar is probably right on. You can taste as you go to check it out.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I'm going to try the Rhubarb and Honey Brisket next.  Stay tuned.  :biggrin:

Ok - I know you were making this back in May. And I might have missed the follow up report on how it turned out but I went thru the thread and didn't see it - so if you remember - will you please say what you thought?

Or if anyone else has made this please give a report. I am spending Thanksgiving with my boyfriends family (for the 2nd time) and he and I are going to cook dinner the night after Turkey Day. I was thinking of making this - subbing granny smiths for the rhubarb as suggested in the cookbook.

Also - we are going to sub plain apple cider for the alcohol (white wine or hard cider is recommended) as his family does not drink or cook with any alcohol. Does anyone have an opinion on subbing the apple cider for the wine/hard cider? Should I add some cider vinegar or is that going overboard?

Any thoughts / tips would be appreciated.

THANKS

Della

I don't believe I ever got around to making this. I think I did the Christmas Estouffade instead. So this goes on my list to try!

Marlene

I'm going to try the Rhubarb and Honey Brisket next.  Stay tuned.   :biggrin:

I don't believe I ever got around to making this. I think I did the Christmas Estouffade instead. So this goes on my list to try!

I haven't looked back through the posts on this thread to see if you posted about the Christmas Estouffade, but I am thinking of making that for Christmas. How was it?

Della . . . I don't see anything wrong with your substitutions. Just keep in mind that each one is upping the sweet note. Your suggestion of the cider vinegar is probably right on. You can taste as you go to check it out.

Thanks! I think I will give it a go and I will report back to say how it turns out.

Happy T-Day to all.

Della