• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens (Part 1)

Marlene

I just ordered this cookbook and it arrived in the mail last night. What a pleasure! Am really looking forward to trying it out. The chicken with cider and parsnips looks particularly tasty.

Welcome to the club! :biggrin: If you haven't already, you might want to take some time to read this topic. While the recipes are terrific, we have pretty much found that the temperatures are too high in a lot of cases.

We've also made other comments on some of the recipes. Like how that Rancheros dish needs lots more poblanos and no peppers. Yes, do read this topic and start making notes in the cookbook.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I have finally temporarily obtained a copy via interlibrary loan. I made the Bisteccas Rancheros (sp. from memory) the other night and we really enjoyed them. I want to make the beef rendang but must locate some of the ingredients first. I remember way upthread someone saying they'd made one of these dishes with chicken instead and really liked it. Anyone remember which it was?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Um . . . I made the Beef Rendang with pork. And, I think we discussed the substitution of chicken but I don't think any of us thought chicken would work very well. Not enough fat.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We've also made other comments on some of the recipes.  Like how that Rancheros dish needs lots more poblanos and no peppers.  Yes, do read this topic and start making notes in the cookbook.

It's a very informative thread. Also, just like the cookbook, it makes me hungry every time I look at it!

So far I've made two recipes from AAB and both have won raves. Didn't see either mentioned so far here.

Whole Chicken Braised With Pears and Rosemary : Although I used a larger chicken than the recipe called for, didn't truss it, and ignored all that stuff at the end about straining the sauce, this was a huge hit. Moist and delicious, and that pear flavor really does give a sweetness to the meat. Instead of serving it with the pear garnish I just threw some carrots into the sauce after I took the chicken out, and boiled them a bit. The chicken was immediately called "The best chicken you've ever made" by my beloved dining companion. :wub:

I can't really recommend trying to brown a untrussed 7-pound chicken on all sides, as attempting to turn it over repeatedly is a recipe for frustration, but I eventually managed to get much of the skin browned up. Since we don't eat the skin anyway it's more for presentation.

Soy-Glazed Chicken Thighs With Star Anise and Orange Peel: A good excuse to buy fish sauce, first off. And a great way to serve chicken with a very different taste to it. The anise and orange flavor in the sauce -- which was thick but not heavy -- compelled us to lick our fingers.

I would pretty much recommend making the recipe exactly as written, although I did take the skin off the thighs before browning. It's only in the oven for half an hour, so the recommended temp (325) seemed about right. Next time I'll make a double batch so we have lots of leftovers.

Next up: probably will make the Chicken Fricassee With Mushrooms and Artichokes later this week, though maybe without the cream, as someone upthread did.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Tell me:

--My single most favorite recipe from this book is:

--The most helpful thing I learned from this book that continues to benefit my cooking is:

--My favorite braising vessel (include a clicky if you wish) is __________ because:

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Tell me:

--The most helpful thing I learned from this book that continues to benefit my cooking is:

--My favorite braising vessel (include a clicky if you wish) is __________ because:

bumping -- c'mon, I want to know!

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Tell me:

bumping -- c'mon, I want to know!

I'm working on it... be patient! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tell me:

That's like asking which of my three kids is my favorite!

But, current faves are the Chick Do-Piaza, the Beef Rendang (equally as good with pork), the Bisteces Rancheros (sans potatoes and upping the quantity of poblanos) and the Pork with Mango, Lime and Coconut (althought that pork with chipotle and roasted tomatoes is also calling...)

I've braised everything, except the seafood and veg dishes in my oval 6-3/4 quart LeCreuset.

Lessons? Actually, I think her braising temps are too high, but she has introduced me to new flavor ideas in braises.

My favourite and one I have made a number of times is the Top Blade Steak Smothered in Mushrooms and Onions. The braised potatoes with garlic and bay were a revelation also. But it's hardly fair as I have not tried that many. I think because we are still waiting for winter!

The thing I learned from this book was to slow down and pay attention to the recipe and the food and the vessel. To use parchment paper over the braise and to adjust the temperature of my oven according to the vessel ignoring Molly's temperatures!

My favourite vessel is a clay pot that is glazed on the inside! One of my LeCreuset lids fits this so perfectly and provides an amazing seal. But I also like my LC Dutch oven.

I intend to try a lot more recipes if it ever gets cold enough around here to put me in the mood for a braise. I can't believe this winter - it feels uncomfortably unnatural.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for the responses, Anna and Susan (?)/Snowangel! I only have this book for another week, so I need recommendations for what to focus on.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

My favourite is the Caribbean Pork. First of all, there's no browning or chopping and sauteing of aromatics. Once it's marinated, into the oven it goes. Secondly, the crispy pork skin that you get after finishing it under the broiler or a high heat oven is simply to die for.

I have a variety of Le Crueset pieces that I use for braising depending on what I'm braising. The braiser pan works very well for short ribs and the round oven works well for roasts.

The thing I've learned the most is how easy braising is and how forgiving it is if you need to leave it for an extra hour while you do something else. It won't hurt it! I also note that her oven temps are generally too high.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've been Braising With Molly for a few weeks now. The other evening, in order to inaugurate my new LC Red Oval, I made Chicken Fricasee, which came out very nicely, quite rich, if not very pretty. I think I will slice the mushrooms smaler next time as they get slippery and kind of hard to chase with your fork during dinner.

The leftovers were even better than the dish, and I picked the chicken from the bone to turn them into a wonderful pasta sauce.

I've also done the bay leaf potatoes, a fabulous cabbage braise, and beef shortribs with honey and rosemary (excuse for not having the actual titles handy). The tips in this thread have been helpful, and my book is already marked up.

I keep wanting to do the Rendang, but it is tough to find lemongrass out here. I'll have to pick some up next time I make it over to the "big city".

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

I've been Braising With Molly for a few weeks now.  The other evening, in order to inaugurate my new LC Red Oval, I made Chicken Fricasee, which came out very nicely, quite rich, if not very pretty.  I think I will slice the mushrooms smaler next time as they get slippery and kind of hard to chase with your fork during dinner.

Funny -- I made the Chicken Fricassee last night too! Left out the creme fraiche at the end, and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it's just fine without it. It was my first time flaming brandy, though, and she is NOT kidding about how high those flames go! Wave a match in the general direction of the pan and get back!

I thought it was a very solid dish, and tasty. But not as good as the previous recipes I made from this book -- then again, both of those were simply out of this world.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Oooh, thanks for all the replies!

Question: I have a Le Creuset Oval French 9 1/2 qt. oven which has been getting a lot of use. I'm intrigued by the shallow LC braiser (I've also seen it called a buffet dish). I have an All Clad 3 qt. saute pan with a lid. I wonder if the LC braiser is any better?

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

I have the 3 qt All Clad Saute pan with lid as well, but I wouldn't use it for braising. My LC braiser is much heavier.

Marlene

I made the Yankee Pot Roast recipe on Saturday to serve on Sunday. It was good, but I liked the Zinfandel Pot Roast from the book better. It called for Hard Cider as the deglazing liquid. Having never cooked with hard cider I was looking forward to seeing what it would bring to the dish flavorwise. Sadly, it didn't bring much - I couldn't really taste it or the sweetness I assumed it would add. The cloves in the recipe were a nice background taste, though.

I wasn't overly thrilled with the Yankee pot roast either. I really want to try the Grillades braise next.

Marlene

I plan to do the Beef Rendang today or tomorrow. I do have a chuck roast to cut up for it, but I was wondering how it would work with those thin chuck steaks like the Bisteccas Rancheros calls for?

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Yesterday, faced with the option to make either the Porter-Glazed Short Ribs and Marlene’s Short Ribs, with Port, Wine and Honey, we chose the latter. The only thing I did different was to wrap the garlic halves in cheesecloth so I could save the carrots and onions. Oh, and I was about 2T. short of grainy mustard, so I supplemented it with Dijon. We served it with fried polenta. Marlene, they were absolutely wonderful, and my husband sends you a special thank-you for the recipe.

Lori--my husband put a temporary moratorium on my buying cookbooks, so I got the book from the library, and made Coq au Vin (which turned out great—the sauce was so smooth and silky). This help me convince him that I needed to buy the book because "there was no way that I can copy all the recipes plus the notes I wanted." :laugh:

Our schedules have been busy of late, so I haven’t made anything else from the book yet. But going through the book, for my next trick, I’m debating between the Chicken Do-Piaza, Beef Rendang, or Soy-Glazed Chicken Thighs With Star Anise and Orange Peel.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I plan to do the Beef Rendang today or tomorrow.  I do have a chuck roast to cut up for it, but I was wondering how it would work with those thin chuck steaks like the Bisteccas Rancheros calls for?

Come to think of it, I never did post after my last two Rendangs.

One was pork, one was beef. BTW, the pork was equally outstanding.

When I did the pork one, I had country ribs, and cut the meat into smaller cubes than the recipe calls for. It worked like a charm.

The last time, I used chuck steaks, and cut the beef into smaller cubes just like I did with the pork. It was not nearly as successful. The meat, although very well marbled, dried out a lot more than it did when I used the smaller pork cubes.

Now that I think of it, well marbled beef doesnt' have those same "streaks" that pork does, and I really think you need the bigger cubes if you're doing this dish with beef.

Thanks for the tips, Susan.

Well, I have the beef rendang simmering on the stove right now. I have to say I don't think I've ever cooked anything like this before -- simmering first and frying second. It looks so RAW in the pan as it's just getting going. Also, just to keep me humble, I have to confess up front that I THOUGHT I had cardamon pods but I do not. After I searched for several minutes I remembered I gave them to a friend for a chai tea xmas gift project. I knew I had some ancient powdered cardamon in a plastic baggie from a bulk foods store. Unfortunately, my bulk food/baggie bin had 2 baggies of unidentified but identical powders. I smelled them and they had absolutely no smell -- did I mention the cardamon is ancient? I tasted and chose largely at random. I dumped in about a tablespoon. This means the finished rendang will either:

--taste very strongly of cardamon (unlikely)

--taste very strongly of some other spice (unlikely)

--taste of cardamon not at all (likely)

I'm also making the World's Best Braised Cabbage. I did have all the ingredients for that one. What I don't know is if braised cabbage and beef rendang go together at all. Somehow they seem like they might, but in any case I'm trying to sample as many recipes as I can this week before the book goes back to the library.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

About half-way into the rendang braise, it's looking a bit better, but I'm still hoping the kids get home near the end of the cooking instead of now. They aren't particularly picky, but somehow I don't picture them looking at the saute pan and saying, "Mmmm, that looks great!"

Cabbage question: I've read a few times on this thread that the oven temps are on the high side. Has anyone found that to be true for the braised cabbage? The recipe states 325 degrees. I just retrieved the casserole from the oven to turn the cabbage wedges over at the half-way point. It seemed fine.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Well, after 2 1/2 hours, I think I have way too much liquid. I obeyed the instructions to use a gentle simmer, with occasional bubbles, but in spite of that...? I've turned the burner a little higher, because we need to eat before 8 pm.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Well, after 2 1/2 hours, I think I have way too much liquid.  I obeyed the instructions to use a gentle simmer, with occasional bubbles, but in spite of that...?  I've turned the burner a little higher, because we need to eat before 8 pm.

That's the other thing I forgot to tell you! (Blame it on nicotine deprivation) But, when it starts to go, it will go fast. Beware. When it is going is not the time for a kid to skin a knee (trust me, been there, done that).

I should go on record here as to saying that her timing is off on this one, and it needs longer.