• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cru

Bond Girl

New York Times; November 3, 2009, 6:58 pm "Cru is lowering prices on its famous wine list by 30 percent across the board, said Robert Bohr, a partner in the restaurant."

Dear eGullet members,

The price changes is most visible in the middle of the price range, the $200-$400 wines, as the wines under $100 didn't have a lot of margin built in before so any price change doesn't seem as dramatic as the higher end selections.

thank you for your time

best

Robert

Robert,

So 30% "across the board" is visible in a $200 to $400 bottle of wine and maybe not very visible in a cheap $100 bottle of wine.

Where did you learn mathematics?

Tim

So 30% "across the board" is visible in a $200 to $400 bottle of wine and maybe not very visible in a cheap $100 bottle of wine.

Where did you learn mathematics?

I don't see any particular reason to be offended by the explanation. It sounds like he perfectly well understands the mathematics of pricing his own wine list. If the explanation printed in the Times over two months ago is not accurate, this was the opportunity to clarify it, and he has done so.

Thanks, Robert.

I can see both sides here. 30% off across the board on NY's greatest wine list is a very appealing deal, so much so that evidently I'm not the only one that kept holding out for it. He was quoted in the NYT of all places, then it didn't happen, and that's ultimately disappointing.

But like oakapple, I see that he came on a public forum to clarify what happened, helped to point out what did happen and where to look, and I appreciate that far more than not. A big cut of a $200-$400 bottle of Burgundy is still welcome.

Thanks from me as well.

• 9 months later...

I am heading to New York in a couple weeks and really wanted to try Cru, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make a reservation or even to find out if the restaurant is still open. My mother dined there not too long ago and I know they were making a lot of changes, but I have seen on the web that it is closed. Can someone give me some clarification here? Their website is "under construction" and opentable lists it as closed. Their voice mail still works, but points you to opentable to make reservations....

HELP!

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Ok... that's a shame... I am looking into Blue Hill, Lincoln, Il Matto, Gramercy Tavern, Balthazar, Prune, Momofuku Ko.... Italian must be "hot" right now....

Any other recommendations?

Interesting mix you've got there. I'd recommend adding any of the following: Corton, WD-50, Aldea, L'artusi, Brooklyn Fare, L'atelier de Joel Robuchon and maybe Momofuku Ssam Bar (if you don't get in to Ko)...although there are dozens of other great places to eat obviously.

Ok... that's a shame... I am looking into Blue Hill, Lincoln, Il Matto, Gramercy Tavern, Balthazar, Prune, Momofuku Ko.... Italian must be "hot" right now....

Any other recommendations?

Yes, we are definitely in an "Italian" moment right now (and you didn't even mention Osteria Morini or Ciano). I would skip Il Matto unless you're really DYING to try it. Given that you had wanted to try Cru, you might want to add Ciano, his new place, to the list.

Edited by oakapple (log)

Thanks... I was actually looking into Ciano as well... thought it might be tough to get a table since it'll be it's second week of service.... I'll try tho.

I also heard from my old chef that Ssam Bar was really good. Someone also recommended 11th Madison Park....

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo