• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about A le petite Fabrique chocolate shop

David Lebovitz

Has anyone had any experience with this little shop near the Bastille? A la petite Fabrique on St. Sabin. I've been writing about chocolate and it's such a charming place & it's one of the only places that I know in Paris where you can watch chocolate being made on the premises.

The problem is the woman that works there (who may be the owner, or his wife) is miserable. Each time I've gone in, I've never had a colder reception. My first visit a few years ago, I wanted to buy a box of chocolates and she wouldn't let me choose my own. So I left. Then I went in a few days ago, since I'm writing an article for a magazine, and she was so rude and dismissive (I would like to say hostile) so I just left.

I think I've been in every other chocolate shop in Paris and never had anyone not be nice.

Has anyone ever been there and what's up with her? I can't imagine going in there to buy chocolates...and I feel bad, since the fellows working in the back look so nice as they go about their dipping and enrobing.

The problem is the woman that works there (who may be the owner, or his wife) is miserable. Each time I've gone in, I've never had a colder reception. My first visit a few years ago, I wanted to buy a box of chocolates and she wouldn't let me choose my own. So I left. Then I went in a few days ago, since I'm writing an article for a magazine, and she was so rude and dismissive (I would like to say hostile) so I just left.

Yes, what is the matter with Paris chocolate shop people? Some of them are really rude.

The lady at Debauve & Gallais the other day was very snotty and unwelcoming. She acted like she was selling diamond-studded chocolates. "Come on, I thought, you're only selling (overpriced) chocolate." I asked about it later and it seems that D&G does have that reputation. This is exactly the kind of shop that I'll enter once in my life but not twice.

However, I've always met with very pleasant, though a little fussy, service at La Maison du Chocolat.

And they're really nice at Michel Chaudun (rue de l'Université). Which is lucky because I believe their chocolate is the very best in Paris.

They're OK at Cacao et Chocolat too (a chain, several locations in Paris).

Yes, what is the matter with Paris chocolate shop people? Some of them are really rude.

And they're really nice at Michel Chaudun (rue de l'Université).

This is an interesting thread because at Chaudun a few months ago, the head lady almost lectured me like a small, ignorant boy on how their chocolates are alive and die in 2 weeks, etc etc. I knew all this and was a bit put off (it had not happened there before so it was puzzling).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We recently visited Christian Constant's shop near Luxembourg Gardens. The older woman (i.e. close to my age!) who was working the front spoke about as much English as I speak French (very little). She summoned a charming young man from the prep area to help us.

He was sincerely friendly, well informed about the products and obviously enjoyed his work, including dealing with the public. They were also very accomodating about allowing me to take some pictures.

gallery_2480_676_170590.jpg

gallery_2480_676_185390.jpg

gallery_2480_676_147371.jpg

This is an interesting thread because at Chaudun a few months ago, the head lady almost lectured me like a small, ignorant boy on how their chocolates are alive and die in 2 weeks, etc etc.  I knew all this and was a bit put off (it had not happened there before so it was puzzling).

Oh, well... maybe a constant exposure to a chocolate-laden environment (too much theobromine) could explain some drastic ups and downs in social behavior? :smile:

All of the shops that I frequent are nice. At first, the women at Debauve and Gallais were as cool as marble, but after a few visits they warmed up to me. Likewise, when I was researching chocolates for an article, the people at Fontaine au Chocolat (201, rue St. Honoré) could not have been nicer. The fellow who helped me at Patrick Roger (108. Blvd st. Germain) was the epitome of helpful. (However there was an American couple in there that were so rude to the salepeople that I almost said something...I wish I had.) And I had an extended conversation with the manager at La Maison du Chocolat on the Raymond Poincaré, who also poured me a nice taste of hot chocolate, gratuit!

Too bad about the experience at Michel Chaudun. Usually they are really nice in there; one woman can seem standoff-ish, but in general, I've had good luck.

(Sometimes the salesclerks have limited English and they will say things like, "You want this?" instead of, "Would you like this?" which is sometimes taken for being rude as well, I have found.)

A Parisian friend suggested that perhaps the woman at a La Petite Fabrique was, um, anti-semetic. I can't imagine anyone shopping in there with that kind of reception.

Does anyone know of any other shop in Paris where you can watch the chocolates being made?

David-

That kind of prejudice would be very rare and hard to maintain in Paris.

She might be able to stay in business with a few bigger accounts that she babies.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

David-

That kind of prejudice would be very rare and hard to maintain in Paris.

She might be able to stay in business with a few bigger accounts that she babies.

Well, they pay to have a store-front in the pricey Bastille neighborhood & their showcases are well-stocked and the window displays abundant; I can't imagine them maintaining all that with some bigger accounts and little walk-in business.

I've been in 3 times, same response. Can't figure it out...

Okay David. It's only YOU! :wink: Sad isn't it, if it really is the case this woman has problems with an entire group of people. :wacko:

It is possible to maintain all the with some (who knows how many if any at all) bigger accounts. Her discounted wholesale price would probably be no more than 25%-30% of her retail price. Take into consideration volume production and sales. And yes even to a small boutique business relative volume cuts costs tremendously. She's making her money somehow. Maybe it's a money laundering front like the rice pudding shop in NYC. :laugh:

Anyway she sounds like @)(#*$*%^%*!!!!

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com