• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal's best Jewish bakeries

carswell

It's been years since I've had a hamantasch and the Special Occasions thread on the filled pastry hats (poppy seeds rule!) has my mouth watering. Casualties of changing demographics and aging staff, the Jewish bakeries in my old haunts have mostly disappeared and I've never gone looking for a replacement. Any recommendations? TYVM!

I still really miss the big poppy seed rolls from St Laurent bakery, and have yet to find their equal. (I also sort of regret not having bought a poppy seed juicer from the Pecker brothers while it was around, even though I suspect I'd never use it...)

That one up on Bernard near Park is pretty good, blanking on the name. They've got addictive little rugelach. I look forward to hearing what other people recommend.

Solly's on Westminster (corner Mackle) in the depths of CSL is ok & I believe is 100% kosher. From recollection, Solly's has decent hamentashen, not the hard as rock cookie-like type but a softer, more pliable dough. Both mun & prune. Their rolls are quite good. And then there's the dirty bakery in Chomedy! I don't know its real name but they have real good rolls & I love their challah. Maxies still exists in Cavendishmall but IMHO is way less than stellar. There's also 2 kosher bakeries in the St. Louis strip mall in Ville St. Laurent. Then there's Jewish-ish bakeries (that's Jewish style but operated by Philipinos or East-Indians) such as Fresser's on Decarie corner Cote St. Catherine, or Real Bagel (CSL Rd or Queen Mary locations).

That one up on Bernard near Park is pretty good, blanking on the name. They've got addictive little rugelach. I look forward to hearing what other people recommend.

I went by the place on Friday. It's called Boulangerie Cheskie(359 Bernard West).

-Steve

I went by the place on Friday. It's called Boulangerie Cheskie(359 Bernard West).

-Steve

well, there's cheskie's and there is milk and honey on the other corner.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

It's been years since I've had a hamantasch and the Special Occasions thread on the filled pastry hats (poppy seeds rule!) has my mouth watering. Casualties of changing demographics and aging staff, the Jewish bakeries in my old haunts have mostly disappeared and I've never gone looking for a replacement. Any recommendations? TYVM!

it would be my pleasure to send you some new jersey/new york hamantasch-

i live in teaneck, new jersey and there are 2 kosher bakeries-

prune, apricot, poppy seed

i,personally, like the prune-

joanne