• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Humble Buckwheat

ludja

koreans use buckwheat for noodles - naengmyun which are way chewier than soba noodles and I think taste a lot different.

koreans also roast buckwheat and make it into a tea called "bori-cha" You usally drink it cold in the summer and hot in the winter. When I was younger it was a replacement for water during the day.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Pille, the salad looks very good,

I have never eaten kashe but I love soba and buckwheat pancakes so I think I would like it. Would probably find it in the health food store.

I'll bet you could find them in your local supermarket, and particularly but not only if there's a Trader Joe's in your area.

Michael aka "Pan"

koreans use buckwheat for noodles - naengmyun which are way chewier than soba noodles and I think taste a lot different. 

koreans also roast buckwheat and make it into a tea called "bori-cha"  You usally drink it cold in the summer and hot in the winter.  When I was younger it was a replacement for water during the day.

I used to be able to buy those Korean buckwheat noodles at a now-closed oriental grocery in Edison, New Jersey. I've never seen them anywhere else - do you know where they are sold?

thanks!

IMOP--Buckwheat pancakes are unrivaled.

Simple with some good butter and a splash of really good maple syrup!

There was an annual Buckwheat festival for many years in Penn Yann NY - the Finger Lakes area (also very close to Naples - home of a regional specialty known as Grape Pie ).

They weren't the first ot the only Buckwheat festival but for awhiel coudl boast of annually making the world's largest buckwheat pancake (which required a forklift to flip if I recall correctly). The area is still home to Birkett Mills - the world's biggest buckwheat supplier. A few miles closer to me is the redoubtable New Hope Mills - in business for 179 years and still grinding with water power on the same rollers since 1892. If you're a lazy Saturday morning cook like me they offer a very good Buckwheat Pancake Mix only of water.

koreans also roast buckwheat and make it into a tea called "bori-cha"  You usally drink it cold in the summer and hot in the winter.  When I was younger it was a replacement for water during the day.

I used to be able to buy those Korean buckwheat noodles at a now-closed oriental grocery in Edison, New Jersey. I've never seen them anywhere else - do you know where they are sold?

thanks!

I don't know why you couldn't find them at any korean grocery store. They are usually sold in the dry noodle aisle or the frozen section in packets with a frozen packet of stock. I like the frozen product better, because its way easier to use

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

thanks!

I don't know why you couldn't find them at any korean grocery store. They are usually sold in the dry noodle aisle or the frozen section in packets with a frozen packet of stock. I like the frozen product better, because its way easier to use

Never knew about the frozen ones, thanks!