• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Saffron Gates at NYC

FaustianBargain

Ok..so everyone is talking about it. Just for fun, what is *your* Saffron Menu. We have the truffle menu and the chocolate menu, so why not saffron?

Starter+Main(1 or 2)+Dessert

Optional: canapes, beverages, petit-fours, wine matches and all that stuff.

Can be designed to be suitable for any season, specific to any region or dining preference(vegetarian/"healthy"/no dairy etc)

Think of it as a culinary "take" on Malevitch...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'll be curious to follow this thread, but an all-saffron meal seems like overkill to me. I like saffron, but it's a strong flavor.

Saffron is rather mild, i thought. It blends with other flavours without standing out on its own. Saffron in desserts with cardamom has an entirely different dimension compared to a paella or a bouillabaisse. While Indian kheers and paellas and bouillabaisse are traditional, I would like to see a modern interpretation/flavour matching of saffron in other less traditional dishes.

I actually did a saffron vanilla ice cream at work a few weeks ago on top of a strawberry shortcake-esque dessert. I had seen saffron and vanilla paired together in savory dishes before, and figured what the heck. It tasted pretty damned good--eerily like a fancy cotton candy--and it worked well with the strawberries.

Nothing to see here.

I actually did a saffron vanilla ice cream at work a few weeks ago on top of a strawberry shortcake-esque dessert.  I had seen saffron and vanilla paired together in savory dishes before, and figured what the heck.  It tasted pretty damned good--eerily like a fancy cotton candy--and it worked well with the strawberries.

I have added a pinch of saffron along with vanilla for sable(normany 'biscuit/cookie). It gave the sable a very 'warm' flavour.

other combinations: saffron and orange seem to go well together too. I have heard of a saffron-orange aioli for various fish preparations. I have never tried it tho'..

we once used saffron to colour pasta. (sun dried tomato paste for red, cholorphyll for green..squid ink for black..beets for pink....and saffron for yellow pasta)