• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porcini, Truffles, etc Now Illegal in LA County

dfunghi

Do you think a petition would help? Is it possible to start an e-petition? Would more letters of support help from your clients as well?

You can count on me for a signature and a letter if you want.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

You have two very powerful tools at your disposal:

1. Public wrath. Call a TV station and a couple of food writers in the area who have a large impact and the respect of their readers. Get well-known chefs and other prominent individuals on your side. A couple of movie stars wouldn't hurt. Embarrass the department. Make it a political issue.

2. Sue the bastards. The fact that they're singling out farmers' markets only, seems to me to be singling out a section of the market, and my gut tells me that's grounds for a case. But someone who has been admitted to the Bar in California would no doubt have a more reliable opinion. The only bar I've been admitted to lately is one that also has great cheeseburgers. :biggrin: But I'm serious: sue them. Join with others in your position, and sue them.

I just sent an email suggestion for this story to KTLA

KTLA story email

Anybody else want to join in?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is horrible news. Again, as Pedro mentioned above, here in Europe, how the hell are you gonna tell someone that nature is an unapproved site. WTF?? I'll try and do all I can from way out here (I still have some friends in LA!). I have shopped at both the Venice and SaMo markets - I may have even bought shrooms from you -

Were you the first approached? Do you think your inspector guy, or the people regulating this can tell the difference between wild and not?? I would keep selling - are they standing over you like a hawk? I would sell till arrested - then FIGHT A BLOODY FIGHT - or a SUPER PEACEFUL fight with all your friends here on eG and out there in CA behind you.

Let us know where and when.

I just sent an email suggestion for this story to KTLA

KTLA story email

Anybody else want to join in?

dfunghi, are you okay with this? if so, i will add my email tonight. (what contact info should we give? pm the reply, if you like.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I simply said he could be found at the Santa Monica market on Wednesday and Saturday, look for "The Mushroom Man".

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just sent KTLA my story...maybe something tomorrow on the news - maybe something tonight!!!

Ore-

We know what food is. Let's get the message out further.

Ore

It jut occurred to me that I may not have been encouraging with your response to this. Please proceed as you will. That was not my intent at all. I appreciate your passion for food more than I may have made apparent. So sorry if I implied otherwise. Support the cause for good food here and elsewhere.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I simply said he could be found at the Santa Monica market on Wednesday and Saturday, look for "The Mushroom Man".

Thank you all for getting invoved. I would like to say that this is no longer about just me. It is about the sale of wild mushrooms at the farmers markets and inquiries should be made on behalf of ALL OF US as Farmers Market shoppers. If it is just about me it will not matter enough to anyone in the media to act. It has to represent the full scope of the action.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I would try to call in to KFI (AM 640) and try to get on the "Too Hot Tamales" show (with Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger). I know that they work with and support many small farmers, built their empire around the L.A. area, and have a considerable amount of celeb clout in the food industry. Plus, they have a great radio show that I know would get you plenty of exposure.

Also, if you stumble across any information with which we, as egulleters could help you with - petitions, crowd presence, etc. - post it up!

I would try to call in to KFI (AM 640) and try to get on the "Too Hot Tamales" show (with Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger).  I know that they work with and support many small farmers, built their empire around the L.A. area, and have a considerable amount of celeb clout in the food industry.  Plus, they have a great radio show that I know would get you plenty of exposure.

Also, if you stumble across any information with which we, as egulleters could help you with - petitions, crowd presence, etc. - post it up!

ditto evan kleiman.good food radio clickety

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

UPDATE

The LA County Board Of Supervisors ( Carol Kim) has sent a letter to DHS requesting clarifacation on the Wild Mushroom subject. They gave them til March 3rd to either allow sales to resume at Farmers Markets or Stop County-wide. So now we wait. I would still encourage those of you who are hard core Farmers Market shoppers call your County Supervisor to express your concern that Wild Mushrooms may no longer be available at your local Farmers market forcing you to shop elsewhere.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

UPDATE

The LA County Board Of Supervisors ( Carol Kim) has sent a letter to DHS requesting clarifacation on the Wild Mushroom subject. They gave them til March 3rd to either allow sales to resume at Farmers Markets or  Stop County-wide. So now we wait. I would still encourage those of you who are hard core Farmers Market shoppers call your County Supervisor to express your concern that Wild Mushrooms may no longer be available at your local Farmers market forcing you to shop elsewhere.

good--will phone immediately. good luck!

edited to add: contacted antonovich's office via email.

board of sup homepage

Edited by chezcherie (log)

www.chezcherie.com

This sucks, I am in Florida, and I feel your pain, half because all the mushroom talk makes me realize that I can't get any sexy mushrooms, but also becuase this keeps happening with all the sexy ingredients!! What is in the water in Cali that makes the lawmakers keep doing this??????? It's not right.

Does anyone see the bigger picture here though? When the government stops us from eating what we want, we have much bigger problems. I am not starting a whole new conspiracty theory or anything, but it is totaly lame that the government is now telling us what we can or can't eat, all because of a few mis-educated lawmakers who are told something by some pocket lining animal lover or elderly person who ate a three week old hamburder with some nice mushroom rissotto, and told a lawmaker that the mushrooms must have been poisonous!!! It is ludicris. I am so sorry to those of you who have been effected, it is sad, really sad, and if this keeps up, I am moving to Canada, where I will be forced to like hockey and say "eh", which I prefer to going without wild mushrooms.

:angry:

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I'm working on the LA Times Food Section Digest for this week. And just look at the lead article about wild mushrooms: Untamed flavor / by Regina Schrambling

As I was reading the article, I noticed this quote from Kate Lowery, a spokeswoman for the Austin, Texas-based chain, Whole Foods Market :

How does a customer know they're safe to eat? "We never stray from long-established sources, and require that virtually every supplier we buy from carry a minimum $1 million in product liability insurance — we find this discourages the 'weekend experts' that want to sell to us," Lowery said.

dfunghi, do you know who are these "weekend experts" that Lowery's referring to? Perhaps I'm reading in too much into this, or am I?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I just emailed the LA Times regarding this thread. With the article that they ran today it might be an opportune moment to get your plight a little more media attention.

Best of luck

"It is just as absurd to exact excellent cooking from a chef whom one provides with defective or scanty goods, as to hope to obtain wine from a bottled decoction of logwood." -Escoffier

I give up! The LA Times was well aware of the story since I was the original source by Regina for the article. I prefered to tell the above story instead of discussing winter mushrooms but told her to contact Connie for mushroom info. The DHS has informed many people including the Times that "there is no ban" on wild mushrooms. Furthermare they have implied that I ( David West) was in some other form of violation which remains unspecified. In fact there are now 12 MARKETS told to stop selling wild mushrooms they include, Santa Monica ( weds and sat), Hollywood (sun), Calabasas, La Canada, Burbank, Pac. Palisades, Brentwood, Studio City, Culver City and Redondo. Three seperate companies selling at the 12 named markets yet DHS tells people when they call it is only about me. I give up. It is not worth my health and well being so after 10 years supplying the westside and hollywood gourmets as well as many restaurants we are going to throw in the towel. I would suggest if any of you wish to continue to buy wild mushrooms that you pick up the fight or else it will be only large grocery stores that will have them. Pay more for lower quality.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT AND/OR NEED ME TO DO

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Write a letter sign a petition, call someone, what?

Edited by ChefSwartz (log)

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

Did the story thing (thanks andiesenji). perhaps a letter to the editor is in order.

--forgot to mention this is one of the stupidest made up rules I have ever seen enforced.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

UPDATE

The LA County Board Of Supervisors ( Carol Kim) has sent a letter to DHS requesting clarifacation on the Wild Mushroom subject. They gave them til March 3rd to either allow sales to resume at Farmers Markets or  Stop County-wide. So now we wait. I would still encourage those of you who are hard core Farmers Market shoppers call your County Supervisor to express your concern that Wild Mushrooms may no longer be available at your local Farmers market forcing you to shop elsewhere.

March 3rd has come and gone. Any update? Any news?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Did the story thing (thanks andiesenji).  perhaps a letter to the editor is in order.

--forgot to mention this is one of the stupidest made up rules I have ever seen enforced.

The other stupidest is that it's a bloody felony in California to make/sell cheese from unpasteurized milk (or to sell raw milk, period). My visitor from the UK was in disbelief when I told her that. And having had unpasteurized sheep's cheese that she brought, I'm ready to move to Great Britain and risk my health.

Did the story thing (thanks andiesenji).  perhaps a letter to the editor is in order.

The other stupidest is that it's a bloody felony in California to make/sell cheese from unpasteurized milk (or to sell raw milk, period). My visitor from the UK was in disbelief when I told her that. And having had unpasteurized sheep's cheese that she brought, I'm ready to move to Great Britain and risk my health.

?? example of raw milk cheese from CA

am i missing something? i think the cowgirl creamery site lists a bunch more...? my impression was that raw milk cheese must be aged 60 days, but not illegal to make or sell? interested in any info. thanks

www.chezcherie.com

?? example of raw milk cheese from CA

am i missing something? i think the cowgirl creamery site lists a bunch more...? my impression was that raw milk cheese must be aged 60 days, but not illegal to make or sell? interested in any info. thanks

You are correct, but this is not really related to the sale of wild mushrooms in LA county. Let's try and keep this thread on topic. Feel free to start a new thread about raw milk cheese in CA.