• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ceviche in Seattle?

I ate at Pasion! in Philadelphia on a recent trip. My wife and I had ceviche for the first time. We were amazed at the combinations of seafood and spices. We eat plenty of sushi and it was also a great contrast in what mostly-raw seafood could be like.

Can anyone recommend a ceviche restaurant in Seattle?

I figure sushi can't be all of the raw fish in the area.

I've eaten at Pasion! in Philly too. soooooo yummy! I'm not aware of any place in Seattle doing such similar ceviches. Especially because theirs are so creative. I think SeaStar in Bellevue and Palisade have it on their menu???

I had ceviche as part of my recent dinner at the Ibiza Dinner Club. They have at least three on the menu using different combinations of fish and seasonings.

They used to have a pretty good one at Cayenne, but it went out the window with the rest of the pseudo-Southwest/Mexican menu a while ago.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

A quick perusal of Amazon Restaurants (where you can search by menu item) comes up with the following ceviche options:

Burrito Loco

Seastar

Tacos Guaymas :huh:

Blue Water Grill

Oceanaire

Unfortunately, these aren't even close to Pasion!, which is really, really wonderful. I was fortunate to eat there a number of times when I lived in Philly. I haven't found any comparable ceviche here yet, but there must be some.

Maybe someplace featuring it as a semi-regular special, so that Amazon's menu search wouldn't pick it up?

I've just moved here from Philly (see companion thread about BYO's!).

When I lived in Seattle before (1999-early 2001) I had terrific ceviche at Bandoleone. THat was when they were on Eastlake; now they've moved and haven't heard anything about them in a while.

Even that did not completely stack up to Pasion, though.

If I remember right Agua Verde had ceviche but it may be seasonal, since it is such a great summer dish. I usually end up making my own, with the wealth of good fish in Seattle it's acutally pretty easy to do. And the leftovers - I always make too much - make great fish tacos the next day.

Rocky

I've just moved here from Philly (see companion thread about BYO's!). 

When I lived in Seattle before (1999-early 2001) I had terrific ceviche at Bandoleone.  THat was when they were on Eastlake; now they've moved and haven't heard anything about them in a while.

Even that did not completely stack up to Pasion, though.

Bandeleone moved to Fremont; it's tucked in the Adobe building across from Waiting for the Interurban.

For my ceviche fix, I go to a bus on Rainier Avenue, just a piece south of Mutual Fish. A mound of tiny shrimp tops a super-crisp corn tortilla. Although the ceviche is appropriately saucy, that tortilla stays cracker-crisp to the last bite. Topped with chunks of ripe avocado.

It ain't haute, but for $2.00, it's tough to beat.

Geoff, is this the place you mean?

TACOS EL ASADERO

Where: 3513 Rainier Ave. S.; west side of Rainier Avenue South, just north of Mycon Auto at South Court Street

What: Bus with screened windows, stainless-steel dining counters and swivel stools

Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. daily

What's good: Carnitas, adobado and carne asada tacos ($1 each); chicken burrito ($4); shrimp ceviche tostada ($2.50); cheese quesadilla ($3); carnitas mulita ($1.50)

(This is from the PI's article: Your Road Map to Tasty Taco Trucks)

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Geoff, is this the place you mean?
TACOS EL ASADERO

Where: 3513 Rainier Ave. S.; west side of Rainier Avenue South, just north of Mycon Auto at South Court Street

What: Bus with screened windows, stainless-steel dining counters and swivel stools

Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. daily

What's good: Carnitas, adobado and carne asada tacos ($1 each); chicken burrito ($4); shrimp ceviche tostada ($2.50); cheese quesadilla ($3); carnitas mulita ($1.50)

(This is from the PI's article: Your Road Map to Tasty Taco Trucks)

~A

That's it...I think. One bus looks much like another, I'm afraid. It's on a vacant weed-infested lot and whatever was there before was apparently destroyed by mortar fire. Nothing but the finest dining venues for me.

I'm heading south this evening to dine in Columbia City. I'll get the cross streets and report back.

Edited by geoff (log)

I had a couple of red snapper ceviche tostados at Casa Feliz, the new place on Alki Beach, yesterday. "Traditional Mexican Tostado w/ fresh red snapper and onion, cucumber, cilantro, avocado, carrots & tomatoes." The fish tasted very fresh, the tortilla perfectly thin and crispy to the last bite, but I found the overall dish was a bit bland, imo (although I have no other red snapper ceviche experience to compare it to).

A google search of Seattle ceviche...

Seastar: " there's a halibut ceviche that's almost a salad, tossed with cilantro, onions, and jalapeños in a tangy pico de gallo sauce;"

Bandoleone: "ceviche with pineapple salsa"

Nishino: "scallop, shrimp and whitefish served ceviche-style"

Tango: "Ceviché

Our ceviches are

a combination of

various food styles,

ingredients and

imagination - there

are as many ways to

make ceviche as there

are days in the year, enjoy!

sample menu...

Ecuadorian Shrimp and Scallop Ceviche 9.00

roasted tomatoes, lime, avocado and chilies

Northwest Escabeche 9.00

pickled herring, jalapeño,

carrot flowers, malanga chips

Ceviche Mixta 10.00

mussels, clams, calamare, baby

octopus in a horseradish cucumber

vinagreta with sesame seeds

Oysters del Mercado Market Price

a selection of northwest varieties ceviche sampler

three 18.00 four 24.00 five 30.00"

Casuelita's, on Western and Vine, has a ceviche dish. I think it's proawns. I haven;t tried it yet but everythign else that I've eaten there has been excellent.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Mission - the new little place in the Admiral District of West Seattle - has both mahi-mahi and a shrimp ceviche (they spell it seviche, though).

I had the mahi-mahi ceviche as an appetizer earlier this week. There was lots of fish in it, in big chunks. I couldn't finish it all, since I had an entree on the way, but what I ate was very good.