• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Syrenka

rlibkind

Found myself in Port Richmond around noontime, so I stopped by Syrenka Restaurant, 3173 Richmond St. What a hearty meal! After an "appetizer" of kraut pierogies with a dollop of sour cream, I enjoyed a golombka (stuffed cabbage) with just enough meat to call it "protein", but tasty nonetheless. As sides, I chose the beets and the mashed potatoes. The beets were marvelous; they might have come from a can, but canned beets are a wonderful thing. It seems like they chopped the beets very fine, then heated them up with some butter; a very good veggie side. Unfortuantely, and maybe I'm wrong, but the potatoes had the taste and texture that I associate with coming from a box.

Next time I'm going to try the bigos (Polish choucroute).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Syrenka is one of these places I've been hearing about for years, but have never tried.  Bob, do you think it would make a good DDC spot?

Syrenka is wayyyy too small for a DDC dinner. It's more of a luncheonette.

I ate there several years ago. It was some of the best Galumpkes I've ever had. The big Polish grocery store across the street from Syrenka has a pretty good butcher and a lot of interesting canned and jarred Eastern european products. Great horseradish mustard that was awesome on roast beef sandwiches. And about a dozen flavors of handmade frozen pierogies. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As Katie said, it's way too small for DDC. And although I very much enjoyed my meal, I tend to think DDC meals should have something exotic about them. And, let me tell you, Syrenka ain't exotic. I mean, it's basically a meatloaf/sauerkraut palace. Well, maybe it's not too small for DDC, because I really don't think you'd have too many takers for meatloaf and sauerkraut.

They also close at 7 p.m., and I doubt they'd want to work late. In many ways, it's not a professional restaurant. What it offers is good home cooking (except for those industrial mashed potatoes!) that holds up on a steam table.

By all means, go there for lunch or an earlier dinner. Let me know when, I'll join you.

The grocery store (Krakus) across the street is as Katie advertises. Kind of a mini Bells Market. The deli is the most interesting part of the store: a dozen or so cold cuts/sausages which look like they are either made in the premises or nearby (I did hear a sausage grinder in the background). I picked up a few slices of the gelatine veal loaf which was tasty (heavy on the gelatine, though); and they do pork loin and chop cold cuts a number of different ways. Various kielbasas, of course: would you believe "wedding kielbasa"? Since this past weekend I cooked my first pork belly -- it was delicious; I'm going to do one every winter -- I was also intrigued by hunks of smoked "pork rib belly" they had in the deli case. Some good looking sweets, too, including a poppy strudel with my name on it. I also picked up some homemade mushroom-kraut pierogies for the freezer. They also have a small section with some tables and a waitress, so it looks like you can get sandwiches or meals there.

Robert's Market Report

Yes! The Krakus Market - that's it! I couldn't remember the name. I haven't been there in ages but I might have to cruise by there this weekend and hook up a pierogie fix. :smile:

One thing I always found interesting is that Krakus Market had the little green bottles of Underberg (a truly heinous German digestif that is like unsweetened Jaegermeister. My ex loved the stuff. I'd make him brush his teeth twice after having one :raz: ) for sale right at the front counter.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Sorry about the less than stellar mashed potatoes...

Most homestyle Polish places I've been to have excellent potato pancakes (which I almost always order, either for a meal with applesauce and sour cream alongside and a soup beforehand).

Another great thing they might have are cheese filled blintzes. (farmer's cheese that is... )

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Yeah, the potatoes do have that granular "mother's helper" texture to them, but this flaw is more than made up for by the Bigos. Holy Cow, that's some good eats. I never thought about it until I read Rich's post, but it definitely is a Polish version of choucroute.

I have been to New Wave and the other Polish place on Allegheny, it's an initial/ampersand/initial name, but can't remember. They're both very good, as long as you stick to the traditional Polish specialties; American food does not translate as well.

Bonus for people in the nabe: beyond the great mustard/tinned commodities/carnival of kielbasa offerings at Krakus, you've got Czerws Bros kielbasa makers right there on Richmond St.; ReStore, the world's most affordable architectural salvage store, five blocks away; and La Colombe is about five blocks away as well (if you show up, you can make yourself an espresso gratis).

owner, Rx

Yes!  The Krakus Market - that's it!  I couldn't remember the name.  I haven't been there in ages but I might have to cruise by there this weekend and hook up a pierogie fix.  :smile:

One thing I always found interesting is that Krakus Market had the little green bottles of Underberg (a truly heinous German digestif that is like unsweetened Jaegermeister. My ex loved the stuff. I'd make him brush his teeth twice after having one :raz: ) for sale right at the front counter.

aw man, i love underberg. i didn't know you could get it here; i've only picked it up in german delis in texas. while the taste may not be to everyone's liking, it's unsurpassed as a digestif--you could eat an entire cow, and then have an underberg and be ready for seconds.

Yes!  The Krakus Market - that's it!  I couldn't remember the name.  I haven't been there in ages but I might have to cruise by there this weekend and hook up a pierogie fix.  :smile:

aw man, i love underberg. i didn't know you could get it here; i've only picked it up in german delis in texas. while the taste may not be to everyone's liking, it's unsurpassed as a digestif--you could eat an entire cow, and then have an underberg and be ready for seconds.

It's true. It has wonderful digestive properties. All the folks I know that are prone to overindulging swear by it. But it's NASTY. Gah! Medicinal is too kind a word. But if you really want to have that second cow... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Ludja: Yes, they do have potato pancakes and blintzes (cheese and potato on the latter). They aren't available as sides to the platters, but I'm going to order the potcakes next time to accompany the bigos . PS: Have you been back to Phila. for any good concerts lately?

TarteTatin: Czerws! I was looking for them but didn't see them. Where on Ricnmond? And DO let us know if another walk is scheduled.

Robert's Market Report