• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn

tommy

Do you think Korn ever takes off those enormous superhip shades?

I hope, IhopeIhopeIhope, that Korn NEVER EVER removes his shades.  Such commitment, I submit, is very nearly the quintessence of superhiposity.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

...am i the only one who is completely impressed with the dubbing into english?  the conversation is extremely natural, the characters are extremely developed.

You are correct, Tommy, the overdub performances are absolutely brilliant.  Kitchen Stadium-preferred pronounciations, e.g. the ubiquitously invoked FWAgra, have polluted my personal lexicon.  Impressively consistent and respectful work by the actors, I think, and they're obviously working from an excellent, sensitive translation.

Priscilla

Priscilla

thanks priscilla.  also curious is the use of what i would consider very american euphemisms and turns of phrase (although i can't think of any for examples).  i can't imagine that this stuff is literal from japanese.  and still, they weave it together seamlessly and naturally.  

and yes, i definitely put a lot more emphasis on the first syllable of foie gras these days, more as a playful nod to IC rather than thinking it makes me sound sophisticated...or japanese for that matter.    :biggrin:

Apparently, and this is seemingly serious, the translators are trying to get at the 'tone' of the speakers, and are really trying to be accurate AND sensitive.

Check out www.ironchef.com, the UNofficial website.

Charlton Who? Oh, the guy the 1920's dance is named after right?

Careful!  He's still the NRA's prez, isn't he?  

(Taking the opportunity to wish you a very happy International Worker's Day.)

Priscilla

Priscilla

I remember once when Kaga was declarin a tie. The subtitle said was something about a rematch but you could clearly hear Kaga say "tie bleaka." Leaving aside for the moment the question of why Kaga was subtitled while all others were dubbed, why would the translater take a perfectly good Japlish word and retranslate it into English.

Oh, and I think the culinary critic woman, Asako Kishi, is one of the creators of the Iron Chef program.

And what about quorn? Despite its name, it's a fungus that's used as a meat/protein analog.