• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Magic

JanMcBaker

OK-- I know that all cooking is basically some kind of chemistry-- a combination of ingredients and some kind of catalyst to hlep bring about the finished product, but still......

It still seems like magic when I put these gloppy blobs of chocolate chip cookie dough in the oven and come out with these wonderful smelling, and even better tasting, airy disks of chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs and flour. And when my Hollandaise sauce comes out right-- that seems like damn near a miracle, let alone magic! Sooooo..... what's magic to you in the kitchen? Either how it all comes together, or when you're amazed that it all comes together at all?

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

baked cheese when it gets all brown and crusty and tasty! That's magical

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

There are so many kinds of magic in the kitchen it is difficult to choose which to mention.

I suppose the one that most fascinates me is when one starts out with plain milk and with a few minimal additives and a certain amount of time, it turns into cheese with its myriad complex flavors.

However another magic is simply GRAVY, one moment it is a smear of fat and starch in the bottom of the pan and the next moment it is a heavenly sauce.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Any day without me sustaining an injury in the kitchen is a miracle for me. See the Stupid Kitchen Tricks thread for my latest.

Other than that, the miracle is most new dishes I try actually turn out. Even without blood.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

the miracle of yeast.

One could generalize to the miracle of bacterial fermentation. How many foods are made, or made better, by the action of some single-celled critter eating one chemical and pooping out a different chemical. Bread, cheese, miso, yogurt, etc.

'Course, sometimes this action produces deadly poison, so there you go.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Anyone who can throw things together to make a good, if not spectacular meal, is a magician in my eyes.

I can learn technique. I can learn basic flavor combinations, but I don't know that I will ever get to that stage.

Other than that, most baking. Pouring a liquid batter into a pan and getting cake or popovers or muffins or éclairs out of the oven. Yeah, I understand how it works, but it still is pretty damn cool.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Finding an incredible recipe, like I did when I made Tony Bourdain's mushroom soup. I've used all of those ingredients before, but not exactly in that way, and the result was way better than anything I thought would ever come out of MY kitchen. Boy, did that make me believe in magic! What an incredible soup.

The same kind of thing happens when making lemon curd. Lemons, sugar, eggs, butter. Everyday objects that become incredible when combined correctly.

I'm sure there are others, but right now I'm too busy thinking about mushroom soup, to remember what they are.

magic in the kitchen is when you get someone to try something new, and they like it

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

starting with certain ingredients...not really knowing where you are going...and just making something happen in the kitchen.

The best part of this is when your spouse says.."Wow...How did you make this?"

You just shrug and say..."Damn...I should have written this one down....."

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

oh....and salt!

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

From the time they were babies, my kids were pushed up to the counter and watched me cook. As they got bigger, they graduated to sitting on the counter. Then standing on the stepstool. I'll never for get when Diana was 3 or 4. Friends were over, the other mom wat mincing stuff. Diana said very clearly -- "no, when you want little tiny pieces, rock the knife like a rocker."

Watching them come alive and learn things before kindergarten that I didn't know until I was in my 30's has been magic.

That, and eggs. What they add to baked goods. What you can do with them on their own. What you can do to then with a bunch of leftover stuff in the fridge.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

starting with certain ingredients...not really knowing where you are going...and just making something happen in the kitchen.

The best part of this is when your spouse says.."Wow...How did you make this?"

You just shrug and say..."Damn...I should have written this one down....."

John

Oh John, listen to the wise person! (even if the wise person is yourself)

I am currently working on my first food related book and I <i>wish</i> I'd had someone telling me to write things down for the last 20 years. I don't even really have any excuses either because I've written (non food) books before, I know how the process works, I know how much easier it is if you've been writing things down for a decade already... but smart enough to do it myself? hell no! :sad:

snowangel, i am with you; there's nothing like teaching people to cook, and if those people are really small it's truly a kick! Diana sounds like a fun one, and smart too.

along those lines, i think that one of the most magical things i've seen in the kitchen is when someone who was once a timid cook talks with me about how to do/improve something, then tries it on their own and it works. And not just works as in technically accomplishes the task, but works on a deeper level, instilling some fundamental confidence or sense of mastery.

I recently got mail raving about a new friend's purchase of a pizza stone. (We met at a pizza party where I brought the stone, nobody had ever used one. As I am new in town, this helped my reputation considerably with a small group of new friends.) It's a small thing to me, but she's converted from not attempting pizza to confident about the all important crust in one shot...and 3 bucks for a piece of tile.

Now, <i>that's</i> magic.

something that i consider magic is the process of refreshing greens. no matter how many times i do this when those greens come out of that cold water from wilted to crisp it always amazes me.

Chef Koo,

Can you explain that process? Sounds great.

Thanks.

Emma Peel