• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mayhaw Man

New York is a huge market to cover

2 posts in this topic

Eric,

Thanks for taking the time with us this week. Your answers have been very informative and thorough.

As a long distance, long time reader of the NYT I have always been interested in the $25 and under column. This is for two reasons-1) I live in a place (New Orleans) where we have some of the highest quality and most interesting inexpensive dining in the country and I always like to see how they compare to restaurants in other locales 2) Because when I come to New York I can usually only manage to expense one or two big deal meals and for the rest of the trip I am looking for good to great on the cheap.

My question for you is this:

How do you go about selecting the places that you end up reviewing? Clearly, you have an endless amount of choices and you could, if you felt like it, just eat at places whose cuisines are appealing to you, as opposed to covering many different kinds of food and dining establishments. So what is your usual criteria for covering a restaurant-personal choice, assignment, reader recs, all of the above?

Thanks Again,

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I think I halfway answered this question in another thread. When I was reviewing restaurants I tried to mix up cuisines, geography and price point. I could have spent weeks reviewing Italian restaurants in the East Village, but I did try to go all over the map. You are right, there is far too much to cover out there and even after 13 years on the beat I felt I had left way too much on the table!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0