• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Russians & $5.00 Milkshakes

Fresser

In "2 Mules For Sister Sarah", it was Sherry....which was offered toClint & Shirley McClain by the Mexican Commandant to celebrate her capture since she had worked to over throw them...Clint said "well, that's certainly better than a stab in the eye with a sharp stick".

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Can't believe no-one has mentioned James Bond yet.

Post #2 mentions it.

"Auntie Mame" drank oodles of gin martinis, mixed and poured by her very young nephew Patrick...a comedic point in the movie.

There was also mention of a "Monkey Gland" drink in the film (do a Google search to find the recipe and the myth).

And I honestly can't remember the specific cocktail, but when Mame goes to visit her future inlaws, the Upsons, they give her a drink (a Manhattan?) made with their own spin, honey, that Mame chokes on (and tosses over her shoulder when the Upsons aren't looking).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Those Sex and the City girls drank gallons of Cosmopolitans wishing that it made them look like Audrey in Breakfast at Tiffanys with her martini glass.

And I love the scene in The Pink Panther (a very liquid movie all in all) where the zebra costumed police officer is gulping straight out of the punch bowl.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Re Auntie Mame-it was Daquiris wiith honey.

Yes!! That's it. Thanks for filling in my memory gap!

Edited to add: Charles Laughton had his thermos of "hot chocolate" throughout "Witness for the Prosecution" which was really brandy. He thought he was putting one past his nurse/caretaker (played by his wife, Elsa Lanchester) who knew all along what it really was.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A Clockwork Orange - Not sure what they were actually drinking, but the fermented milk that was supposedly intoxicating.

Alex and his Ultraviolent Gang drank milk laced with LSD. Given that the characters wore diaper-esque codpieces, a film critic (whose name I forget) suggests there's probably a Freudian element to their choice of beverage.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com