• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Russians & $5.00 Milkshakes

Fresser

Fans of "The Big Lebowski" will remember Jeff Bridges as The Dude. Ever-inebriated, The Dude would wake up at 11:00 A.M. and mix up a White Russian with Coffee-Mate. And of course Vincent Vega in "Pulp Fiction" curiously ordered a five-dollar milkshake, sipped it and proclaimed, "Damn. That's a good f@&{ing milkshake!"

Which gets me wondering: what other movie characters have signature beverages? And are the drinks conscious props, or are they just inserted to catch the attention of moviegoing food-fetishists (like us)?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

er, "Vodka Martini, Shaken, not Stirred?" and "Bollinger, 1958"

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Perhaps the greatest drinking movies of all time are the Thin Man movies. Nick and Nora Charles drank mainly martinis, but they were not limited to it. As Nick instructs a bunch of bartenders in the first movie "THe THin Man":

"The important thing is the rhythm! Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox-trot time, a Bronx to two-step time, a dry martini you always shake to waltz time."

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I always liked Bob Hope's character's line in one of the "Road to..." movies, where he's in some kind of parody-of-a-Western scene in a saloon and he growls, "Give me milk....in a dirty glass!" :laugh:

In "Heathers", Winona Ryder and the 'lead Heather' went to 7-11 to get cherry slurpees a few times. Though in the movie the names are different to avoid product placement issues, I presume.

mmmm....cherry!

Of course there's twin peaks with Agent Cooper's cups of coffee.This counts cuz there was a movie version. :wink:

In "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" Martha is rarely without her gin&tonic, nor George without his whiskey.

Jean Reno's hitman character in "The Professional" drank milk.

(don't they all?)

As a side note, I feel that vanilla milkshakes are the perfect food. I wouldn't blink an eye to shell out $5 for a "good f*(*#g milkshake". But it'd have to be seriously good...

This is a tough Q, especially now that my mind's on the dang milkshake. lol

the tall drink of water...

When told his shake was $5 didn't Travolta ask "Don't it come with bourbon or something?"

I hate to quibble but this is the internet and geeks quibble. It was Uma Thurman's character who ordered the $5 milkshake.

Thankfully, I'm not such a geek that I remember what beverage Travolta's character ordered. Oh, wait, was it a cherry coke?

Damn...

How 'bout Greta Garbo's first words in a "talkie" (Anna Christie):

"Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby."

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

For the Trekkies among us, there's always "Tea.  Earl Grey.  Hot."

Yup, and then you have Prune Juice for Lt Worf "This is the drink of a WARRIOR!" and Romulan Ale for Dr. Mccoy, a banned substance which he keeps around for "medicinal purposes".

And I recall Scotty with a bottle of Whiskey in one of the old episodes as well, but I don't remember which one it was.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My old signature line from Casablanca:

Right after Ugarte is arrested, Captain Renault walked over to Major Strasser's table as Rick comes down the stairs.

RENAULT: Good evening, gentlemen.

STRASSER: Good evneing, Captain.

HEINZE: Won't you join us?

Renault sits down

RENAULT: Thank you. It is a pleasure to have you here, Major.

STRASSER (to the waiter): Champgne and a tin of caviar.

RENAULT: May I recommend Veuve Cliquot '26? A good French wine.

STRASSER: Thank you.

WAITER: Very well, sir.

I think perhaps this is easier to do with TV characters, as they have more than two hours to put the product image in your mind.

Take MASH for example -

1)The surgeons' still

2)Radar's Grape Nehi

Or, Sex and the City and cosmopolitans.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

A dry martini for Auntie Mame...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

When told his shake was $5 didn't Travolta ask "Don't it come with bourbon or something?"

I hate to quibble but this is the internet and geeks quibble. It was Uma Thurman's character who ordered the $5 milkshake.

Thankfully, I'm not such a geek that I remember what beverage Travolta's character ordered. Oh, wait, was it a cherry coke?

Damn...

How 'bout Greta Garbo's first words in a "talkie" (Anna Christie):

"Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby."

Kurt

I am such a geek :) It was a vanilla coke.

Billy Wilder films are always good for bourbon references. There are two great scenes that I remember off-hand:

Double Indemnity -- In that great first scene between Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck, she serves him a glass of iced tea. In between hitting on her, he sips it, and suggests, "Maybe a little bourbon would get this on its feet."

Some Like It Hot -- Jack Lemmon and a sleeper car full of attractive young women have a late-night party where they mix Manhattans in a hot-water bottle.

Every time I see a Manhattan on a drink menu, I always secretly wish that it would come in a hot-water bottle.

Agent Cooper in Twin Peaks loved coffee.

Pete: And how do you take your coffee, Agent Cooper?

Cooper: Black as midnight on a moonless night.

Pete: Pret-ty black.

Cooper: Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just...let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot, black coffee.

[Great Northern waitress pours Agent Cooper's coffee]

Cooper: Wait a minute! Wait a minute!

[sips, sighs blissfully]

This is--

excuse me--a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

I've had I don't know how many cups of coffee in my life, but this is one of the best.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Barbara Billingsly a/k/a June Cleaver, in Airplane:

"I like my coffee like I like my men, strong and black."

Ah-- actually, this was uttered by the mature-beyond-her-years little girl to the little boy. Barb just spoke jive. And who could forget: "We're out of coffee."

My favorite is from Groundhog's Day: Bill: "Sweet Vermouth, rocks, with a twist." Andie: "I'll have the same. That's my favorite drink! ... What should we drink to?" Bill: "I like to say a prayer and drink to world peace."

Or something along those lines.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again." --Groucho Marx

Can't believe no-one has mentioned James Bond yet.

The Books were much better food and drinks wise though. I remember an article in a short lived foodie magazine in the UK where a writer tried to follow food and drink wise Bond's time in Paris. Quote 'A small carafe of vodka - very cold'. This as well as the champagne, bottle of wine, martinis and a couple of glasses of calvados.

He was quite drunk and ill...

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Wasn't there some movie that featured a scene with a sambuca milkshake... on fire?

That would be my all time favourite movie, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/