• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food fight

TurtleMeng

Wow.  You must have an iron stomach.  My mother-in-law would love you.  What's the oldest food you ever ate?  did it make you sick?  100-year-old eggs don't count nor do any aged/fermented foods.

This brings up another thing about my husband:

Anything that is suspicious can be boiled long enough to kill all the bacteria, and then consumed.

"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

She buys stuff without knowing what to make with it.  Six weeks later I'm digging said item, now liquified in its bag, out of the back of the fridge.

I didn't know my husband was a member on this board. Danno, is that you? :laugh:

Hmm, I don't have a significant other, but my roomate has three food peeves that I personally find rather annoying:

1. He won't eat mushrooms (isn't allergic, says he doesn't like them, but when he eats a dish where they are cut up too tiny and he doesn't see them he likes it just fine as long as I don't tell him they are there...)

2. He won't eat beans of any variety, won't even try them, says he finds something about them disgusting, although I can't tell how he would know if he never tries to eat the damn things...

3. Refuses to eat any curries because he says he doesn't like 'curry' and doesn't seem to understand that curry isn't one spice and that my thai green curry might be very different from some Indian one he disliked at a restuarant a long time ago.

Now, none of this is really all that awful, as I still cook whatever I want and if it happens to contain something  he doesn't like he will just not raid the fridge of it overnight. I don't even know why I care, I just wish he would take some more risks culinarily, and figure he would enjoy a lot more foods if he did.

i think its called food tunnel vision..obvioulsy he isnt a foodie.... :rolleyes:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Wow.  You must have an iron stomach.  My mother-in-law would love you.  What's the oldest food you ever ate?  did it make you sick?  100-year-old eggs don't count nor do any aged/fermented foods.

I don't dispute that I have an iron stomach, I can chow down on a bowl of habaneros in hot sauce and blue cheese and not feel it in my gut later, but the ham and turkey in question still smelled fine. Generally I go by the smell/feel taste. If it smells funny or is unacceptably slimy (and isn't supposed to be slimy) I toss it, if not, it is still fair game. Only thing I ever got sick from food-wise was some Italian sausage I cooked up over a year ago that I didn't manage to cook very thoroughly. Oh well, live and learn, I still love Italian sausage and do my best to make sure I don't leave it medium-rare now ;).

I thought of another odd food-quirk my roomate has: he won't eat any pizza that has any vegetable on it.

he does realize that the sauce used on most commercial and restaurant pizzas is made with tomatoes of some kind right?

a recipe is merely a suggestion

My husband won't eat beef, pork, or chicken unless it's organic. Since we don't live anywhere near a grocery that carries such meat, we mainly eat vegetarian or fish. I want to just buy a damn roast at my local store and brown it and braise it into an meltingly tender beefy explosion...Grrr. Other than that he's great and willing to try anything I cook.

What's wrong with that?

I am the guilty party in my relationship. My insignificant other continues to frown on the rare instances that he is across the dinner table from me (it has happened twice in 2 years of dating). He tells me that he hates it when I am too critical.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I can't believe that someone would get me started on this topic.....here goes!

-Won't eat chicken

-won't eat turkey

-will only eat pork if it's well done (no fat)

-beef only well done (has to be lean)

-no meat that's ever been featured on "Wild Kingdom"

-nothing that "lives in it's own house"

-nothing that is always wet and moving (and I love fish!!)

By the way, she is not a vegetarian, but would be if I was, which is not gonna happen :angry::laugh: .

PS... I do all the cooking. How many times can we have risotto??

Derek

I don't know if this qualifies as a pet peeve or more just one of those things I don't get. He can eat the same thing day in and day out almost indefinitely. Every day he takes the same thing for lunch:

half a sandwich (supermarket lunch meat and cheese with mayo & mustard on whole grain bread)

piece of fruit (whatever's in season)

yogurt (must be nonfat, fruit-flavored)

cookies (whatever's in the cookie tupperware)

How on EARTH does he not get tired of this? :huh:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

He can eat the same thing day in and day out almost indefinitely

Along the similar line

"Dessert?"

"Yes, something warm."

(puzzled waiter, because it sounds more like "worm" with his accent)

Edited by TurtleMeng (log)
"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

The only thing I can think of is that the only apples he likes are golden delicious that have gone mushy. Which means that we can't share in the enjoyment of the many, many apple varieties that we have available here.

Really, that's a minor quibble, since I know I'm the more guilty party in terms of pickiness:

I don't like shredded coconut unless it has been used in ways that make both the flavor and the texture subtle. Coconut flavor and texture can easily overwhelm all others to me.

I find bell peppers to have a similar potential to overwhelm other flavors, so I'm a bit wary about ordering it or cooking with it unless I have reason to trust the instincts of the chef/recipe writer.

I don't like foie gras, pate, or ankimo in large quantities. A little bit with something that contrasts in flavor and texture is how I like it best, and usually not how it's served at restaurants.

I'm particularly sensitive to sweetness in savory dishes. This means a lot of meat & fruit preparations taste way too sweet to me. I once had a dish of roasted parsnips that I could have sworn had sugar in them, but were actually just really sweet parsnips. I also find adding sweeteners to squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes to be utterly cloying--I usually need lemon or chile or something to balance the natural sweetness of those vegetables.

I hate iceberg lettuce and supermarket tomatoes on sandwiches, and try to order sandwiches without them whenever I can.

Fortunately for me, boyfriend isn't irritated by my quirks, just orders the things that he likes when wants them. He also knows that if he's craving something that I don't like, I'm willing to cook it or share it with him at a restaurant. I have my preferences, but I don't have to eat optimally at every meal, and maybe someday, somewhere, someone will make glazed carrots that taste like carrots and not sugar to me.

She can't/won't eat garlic/onions/hot peppers/ginger etc.

Is it any wonder that I'm the cook in the house?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 years later...

He won't eat beans (because of the gas, and says he doesn't like the taste, but if he doesn't eat them, how does he know?) or eggs (says they're slimy and they're a "chicken's period!" <roll eyes>. He complains when I use whole wheat pasta. He says it tastes nasty. He won't eat crusty bread, toast or croutons. "Crunchy bread is stale." Oh, and EVERY dinner has to include meat, or it's "just starch and vegetables, and we need protein."

He doesn't cook. He doesn't help with the dishes. It's a good thing there are many other wonderful things about him.

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

He won't eat beans (because of the gas, and says he doesn't like the taste, but if he doesn't eat them, how does he know?) or eggs (says they're slimy and they're a "chicken's period!" <roll eyes>.  He complains when I use whole wheat pasta.  He says it tastes nasty.  He won't eat crusty bread, toast or croutons.  "Crunchy bread is stale."  Oh, and EVERY dinner has to include meat, or it's "just starch and vegetables, and we need protein."

He doesn't cook.  He doesn't help with the dishes.  It's a good thing there are many other wonderful things about him.

Tracy

Oh, and while he likes oatmeal, he refuses to eat oatmeal cookies. Go figure...

And sorry for bumping an old thread. I swear I thought I read that the last post was Feb 18 2009.

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I wanna add my hubby who doesn't eat any kind of SEAFOOD. And he married a girl who came from a long line of sea fisherman and grew up by the sea AND LOVES ALL KINDS OF SEAFOOD. We used to have fights when I would cook fish (to him it was stinky, well the dried fish were, I would admit). But he admits to eating river bass, crappy or trout that he and his dad would fish.

Said hubby will also not eat mushrooms (unless very tiny or ground up into paste) and will eat the basic veggies - green beans, potatoes, carrots, onion and bell pepper. Other veggies are not tolerated (broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans, etc).

But hubby makes a mean Kentucky Barbeque that would knock the socks off any meat loving carnivore. :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Oh my. Where has this thread been lurking. Do exes count? I was in a relationship with a guy for a 1 and a half when I was 18 or so. I grew up in Bangkok Thailand where we live to eat. He grew up in podunk Iowa eating to live. I should have known better. The worse thing he did that drove me up the wall was only order some version of chicken fried rice no what which kind of Asian restaurant I took him to. AHHHHHHHHH!

My EX-fiance (thank god he's an ex) only liked whoppers, mac&cheese, hot dogs, turkey sandwiches, and lasagna. I did manage to train him a bit but to this day I wonder why he lasted as long as he did.

My now ex HATED bacon, while the rest of her family loved it, if I made soup and it started with bacon she always knew. She also started as a well done beef eater, and didnt eat much to start out, she now will tear up a rare steak. She even disliked chocolate! I turned her 180 degrees when it came to food, however her dad only improved from well done to midwell when it came to meat, what a shame.

i'm glad i found this thread because i've been longing to complain.

this person hasn't quite yet achieved SO-status, but anyway:

1. he doesn't care what he eats. he never wants to try exciting new places to eat, he'd rather just eat at the first place we see (no matter how awful the food is). when we visit a new place, my attempts to somewhat research and plan where we're going to eat (because i don't want to waste mealtimes on mediocre food and am always excited to try new things in new places) annoy him a lot.

2. he once claimed that if he could take a pill that would make eating unncessary, he'd do it, as eating is a 'waste of time' and he resents the time he has to spend doing it. he thinks cooking is an even greater waste of time.

3. he eats the same frozen meals for dinner every night.

4. i think going to the fat duck or el bulli would be so cool - he thinks it sounds 'gross and stupid'.

he doesn't understand why i see all of this as a major incompatibility.

thinking about all this makes me feel like crying a bit.

Edited by gingerbeer (log)

i'm glad i found this thread because i've been longing to complain.

this person hasn't quite yet achieved SO-status, but anyway:

1. he doesn't care what he eats. he never wants to try exciting new places to eat, he'd rather just eat at the first place we see (no matter how awful the food is). when we visit a new place, my attempts to somewhat research and plan where we're going to eat (because i don't want to waste mealtimes on mediocre food and am always excited to try new things in new places) annoy him a lot.

2. he once claimed that if he could take a pill that would make eating unncessary, he'd do it, as eating is a 'waste of time' and he resents the time he has to spend doing it. he thinks cooking is an even greater waste of time.

4. i think going to the fat duck or el bulli would be so cool - he thinks it sounds 'gross and stupid'.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I guess it's much better to have differences in what we like to eat than to have to deal with someone who doesn't like to eat at all, and just does it 'cause he HAS to.

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

...2. he once claimed that if he could take a pill that would make eating unncessary, he'd do it, as eating is a 'waste of time' and he resents the time he has to spend doing it. he thinks cooking is an even greater waste of time...

Oh my! :shock: Regarding #2- how does he feel about other physical pleasures, then? YIPES!

Your relationship's food issue IS a major incompatibility... I'm warning you NOW. Are you really saying that he doesn't just like different foods than you, he doesn't ENJOY food? Food is so sensual, such a physical pleasure- how can one not like it, not have any interest in it, none at all? Run away, NOW! Preferably to the nearest decent restaurant. That man is going to end up being a PILL in your life! We need someone to do some food voodoo for you, darling gingerbeer. Your quality of life is in DANGER. I almost cried myself when I read your post, and I don't even know you. Now, if he was hooked up to a feeding tube for health reasons, I could see it, otherwise, Aaaiii!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Oh I agree...that's a huge incompatibility! Be careful about deciding to upgrade this to "SO status" :shock:

Reading this thread I realize how lucky I am. My husband doesn't share my love of cooking (though he likes being my sous chef) and if left to his own devices becomes purely functional about food and would eat the same thing day in and day out. But fortunately he LOVES to eat new things and loves that I'm always experimenting, and is very adventurous when we eat out.

Prior to him, I dated someone who declared that "bread is bread" and "coffee is coffee". Unrelated to the topic at hand, he thought of my dear cats as "just cats". They're family! We see how THAT turned out...

Good luck, gingerbeer, I hope you can somehow inspire this guy.

**Melanie**

My husband will devour and compliment just about anything I make, provided there is no visible onion or pieces. As long as I hide it, it's all good. But he misses out on some fantastic Onion Soup, I have to say. More for me. *tummy rubbing*

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

2. he once claimed that if he could take a pill that would make eating unnecessary, he'd do it, as eating is a 'waste of time' and he resents the time he has to spend doing it. he thinks cooking is an even greater waste of time.

I have an ex exactly like this, only instead of frozen meals, it's McDonald's and Burger King, same exact breakfast and lunch, every. single. day. His mother was a terrible cook, and she shared his viewpoint on the desire for a meal replacement pill. He also told me recently that he and his new girlfriend "don't like the taste of expensive food."

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

gingerbeer, I used to be like your SO - swallowing a fuel pill each day would have been fine. Then I married someone who liked to eat but didn't cook. I learned to cook for him, and now I like to eat as well. Maybe not as much as most here do. I enjoy how happy it makes him.