• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Jarvis Blending Kit

geo t.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to try out the Jarvis Blending Kit yet? Kim and I, along with our friends Bill Schwab (aka The Psychopomp) and R.J. Tibus (aka The Wine Rackafratz) did just that last week, and we had a great time with it. Designed by Jarvis Winery owner William Jarvis to simulate the winemaking experience with blending exercises similar to those employed by Jarvis winemaker Dimitri Tchelistcheff, the kit includes six 375 ml bottles of 1999 Bordeaux varietals, including two Cabernet Sauvignons and one each of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petite Verdot. You also get two blending cylinders marked with exact percentages that total 100 ml each, and a fancy corkscrew/capsule cutter. The idea is to taste each of the individual varietals by their lonesome, and then try your hand at blending. “Recipes” are included, based on such noble models as various vintages of Mouton, Margaux, Cheval Blanc and Petrus. Of course, we had to try a few of our own concoctions as well.

The whole exercise could have been a bust, especially given the cost of the kit, but in fact, we had a great time with it. In the interest of shameless self-promotion, I would redirect you to our latest feature on the Gang of Pour website for the full rundown, complete with pictures, percentages and snapshots of all the wines and blends we tried. Check it out, or don’t, but if you do, we hope you like it.

Regards from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

I did visit a wine bar in Atlanta 2 years ago that did that as a wine flight. 5 glasses of the bourdeaux varitals and one empty glass.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys