• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Style deli

Vancouver

I still crave an excellent NEW YORK style brisket sandwich. The smoked meat is fine for what it is - but New York style brisket doesn't get that pink brining that the Montreal variety has. No big debate on the relative merits. Just different styles.

Cheers!

Some @#$#%ing creep in Winnipeg is cutting the briskets in half, and keeping the good end for the real jews in Manitoba, and east.  He sends the lean end out West.

Yeah ... and they keep the best Slurpies at the Winnipeg 7-11's too! Pam?? WHat do you have to say for yourself? :raz:

A.

Some @#$#%ing creep in Winnipeg is cutting the briskets in half, and keeping the good end for the real jews in Manitoba, and east.  He sends the lean end out West.  The yuppee Yids in Vancouver have to eat the lean end.  They probably are happy about it but it did not help at my poor fathers wake that I had to serve the crew lean, pink smoked meat.  Oh by the way I am Jewish so don't send the JDL to my house.  So it is near impossible to buy some good fatty brisket so you can steam it for 1 1/2 to 2 hous to get in good(hint).  Oh by the way Chaim 3:16 sez that if you nuke the smoked meat, you will not go to smoked meat heaven.

:blink: You had me up to here. You talking kosher or treif? Ah hell, it doesn't matter - you're not getting any briskets from here bubeleh - we're not cutting off the good parts and sending you the dreck. Anybody in Vancouver who wanted the whole thing, not just the singles could order it (I mean butchers, not consumers). Treif - ain't coming from here. Kosher - I don't know if there's a shochet in BC, but as of now, there isn't one in Manitoba. I'll tell you who to order from in Toronto or Montreal if you want.

Nice post :wink:

Yeah ... and they keep the best Slurpies at the Winnipeg 7-11's too!  Pam?? WHat do you have to say for yourself? :raz:

A.

I don't know if they're the best .. I think they're just laced with something that makes us buy them in -40 weather :wink: . We will always rule the Slurpees Arne, but will never claim to rule the smoked meat.

When I had a deli/restaurant, we brought smoked meat in from Montreal - Levitts (which I believe supplied Snowden). Unfortunately, they went out of business.

Supply lines realy do suck!

We need a central supplier of Montreal smoke meat.

For you New Yorkers out there- who is older-Montreal VS New york( smoke Meat) like Bens Schwartz's

The cost of bringing meat from Montreal prohibits profitablty- The best is horded; but I am sure it does not even leave Montreal?

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

For you New Yorkers out there- who is older-Montreal VS New york( smoke Meat) like Bens Schwartz's

I don't know that older is really better per se, but the oldest NY Jewish deli I know of is Katz's: website which opened in 1888.

The young whipper snappers up in Montreal at Schwartz's didn't open until the 20th century! :wink:

Cheers!

I still crave an excellent NEW YORK style brisket sandwich.  The smoked meat is fine for what it is - but New York style brisket doesn't get that pink brining that the Montreal variety has.  No big debate on the relative merits.  Just different styles.

Cheers!

Vancouver:

I found "Kaplan's" to be very similar to a neighborhood NYC Deli and much better then anyplace in Seattle. Not as good as several Montreal places or those more well known NYC Deli's. It could be that the volume isn't comparable as thats part of a Deli's charisma.

I wonder if the "Brisket" your mentioning is what's served as "Brisket", everywhere in NYC.

Corned Beef is cured from the Brisket and is alway Pinkish. It's a given in NYC that all Corned beef is made from Briskets. Deli's or Restaurants that offer "Brisket Sandwich's" are serving either a "Boiled", or "Braised Beef Brisket" that is sometimes Steamed and sliced like Corned Beef but in a natural brownish, beige color since its the color of slowly cooked or braised beef without curing.

Pastrami in almost always first cured then smoked from the Navel Plate, but now sometimes is made from Briskets mostly using only the Flat part of the Brisket as it's more often ordered lean. The Navel Plate has much more character, flavor and tenderness in my opinion. It's the only type sold at "Katz's".

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I wonder if the "Brisket" your mentioning is what's served as "Brisket", everywhere in NYC.

Corned Beef is cured from the Brisket and is alway Pinkish. It's a given in NYC that all Corned beef is made from Briskets. Deli's or Restaurants that offer "Brisket Sandwich's" are serving either a "Boiled", or "Braised Beef Brisket" that is sometimes Steamed and sliced like Corned Beef but in a natural brownish, beige color since its the color of slowly cooked or braised beef without curing.

Yes, that is the one - the uncured corned beef. :wink: Kaplan's does have it here in Vancouver. It is decent most of the time. Every now and then it is too dried out, but many times it has been good.

The posts upthread suggest we are getting a different cut here in Vancouver, but I haven't noticed that with Kaplan's. Sometimes you get the really moist part from the fattier "good" part and on those days Kaplan's satisfies the craving.

Cheers!

The posts upthread suggest we are getting a different cut here in Vancouver, but I haven't noticed that with Kaplan's.  Sometimes you get the really moist part from the fattier "good" part and on those days Kaplan's satisfies the craving. 

Cheers!

I'm not sure where kaplans gets there briskets, and I'm sure they are getting the whole brisket, but the conspiracy theory I put forward is in relation to the briskets seen in store delis such as Santa Barbara, and supermarkets. They always have the lean end. Where is the fatty end. Maybe Pam can check out the meat counters in Winepeg for me and see if they are getting the good stuff.

Now the reason you might be getting a dry sandwich is because all things smoked are best fresh. A smoked chicken is good day 1, and by day 3 it is dry. So a brisket must be eaten soon after smoking, or if it sits too long at the deli it will be dry. Ask for fatty, or ask for a fresh brisket to avoid the problem.