• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patio Spotting

Andrew Morrison

Thought this might be a neat idea for a post with the nice-ish weather we've been having lately (it'll have a shelf-life of only two months :laugh: ).

We set up six tables on the patio the other night. No takers, even though we were packed inside with a ton of lounge-waitlings.

Heat lamps, awnings, wind bracings, the lot... but still, the stigma of frosty Feb, despite the daffs, steers them inside.

Who needs Kyoto, anyway? Global warming is a restaurants best friend.... :shock: (just kidding :wink: )

So, name 'em as soon as you see 'em. Who's first out of the blocks?

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

We sat outside on Sunday on the docks in Steveston, pretty much everywhere had their patio's open.

And the Fish and Chips were highly mediocre. Steveston is tourist hell. If you're ever travelling, look around, if your locale looks likes Steveston, congrats, you've found the local tourist trap.

Our patio is open at lunch, complete with heaters, table cloths, and tastefully set for lunches. We also keep the heaters running in the evening, so the smokers stay toasty warm.

I was going to ask ... does a patio count as being "open" when the only reason people are using it is to smoke?

Another question ... are there any dog-friendly patios in the Lower Mainland?

A.

Our patio is open at lunch, complete with heaters, table cloths, and tastefully set for lunches. We also keep the heaters running in the evening, so the smokers stay toasty warm.

I was going to ask ... does a patio count as being "open" when the only reason people are using it is to smoke?

A.

Most of the neighborhood places. My mom and I always take her dogs with us if we go for lunch and sit on the patio with them. Then again, we always get funny looks :hmmm:

A.

We had three people have lunch on our patio yesterday.

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

Edit: Ooops... I misread Andrew's first post.... I'll just have to check this weekend to see if the JSC patio is open yet.... :blink:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

The Health Board prohibits dogs on patios. A restaurant can lose their patio permit if they are caught being too friendly to dogs. Usually okay to tie the dog on the other side of the railing.

Thanks! I thought as much, but I was never able to get an answer. If you see a couple of really cute Jack Russel Terriers tied to the outside of a railing in Yaletown, chances are that'll be J & I stting beside them :cool:

A.

Oooh, don't forget about Fiddlehead Joe's. Now that's a great place to sit and watch life go by... and they have doggie water dishes too.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Oooh, don't forget about Fiddlehead Joe's.  Now that's a great place to sit and watch life go by... and they have doggie water dishes too.

I believe Fiddlehead Joe's in undergoing a reno right now, and is closed. I go past there when I go biking and last time by (perhaps 2 weeks ago) they were boarded up tight.

Oh, and the patio at Go Fish! is open year round.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

... and dogs are welcome. :unsure:

A.

Well, considering it's on the public docks, I would think that dogs would be welcome. Gromet doesn't look very happy in her raincoat, that looks like puppy torture :huh: Poor dogs.

Speaking of the topic -- AND of Jack Russells -- just had lunch on the patio at Provence Marinaside in the sun.

Sat on the outside edge of the patio with my quiet and calm JRT (sorry, couldn't resist :)) tied up outside the rail.

Had antipasti -- my lunch faves merguez sausage and tomato/bocconcini salad. I would have taken the antipasti to go from the counter, but I was inspired by the sun and by this thread, to stay on the patio with my dog.

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Had lunch at Go Fish! today but the sun barely touches the patio so it is a little bit chilly in the shade without any heaters. Had to go for a coffee in the market afterwards so I could feel my hands again! :raz: However, the food was great - fresh tuna and salmon on the grill today.