• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Night Out in Irvine / Newport Beach

Complete2L

I am planning a meeting in Orange County and am looking to provide dining and entertainment for a group of 12. I am looking for a casual place (i.e. not necessarily a formal dining setting) for good food and drinks with a nice ambiance.

Any ideas?

"I believe it was Socrates who said, ‘I drank what?’"

Any particulars we should know about--cost, type of cuisine, etc.? When are you planning this? I've got my thinking cap on. Golden Truffle came to mind immediately, but it's very small and I'm not sure they could accomodate a party of 12 without quite a bit of advance notice. I'm still thinking, but please let me know how much time I have. :smile:

Edited to add a link to their menu, but it changes all the time. And also, is a full bar necessary or is wine/beer OK?

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

Golden Truffle was my first thought too, Maison... but for 12 it could get pretty pricey. Aubergine was a second thought in that price range.

If memory serves, Bayside Restaurant was pretty decent for such gatherings. I'm trying to remember if Oysters in Corona Del Mar would be a nice choice as well.

In Irvine, I remember a couple of Persian restaurants that were pretty cool -- Caspian had a nice ambience and could probably house a large party. Or there's always a stand-by of a Ruths Chris steakhouse in Irvine...

Any particulars we should know about--cost, type of cuisine, etc.? When are you planning this? I've got my thinking cap on. Golden Truffle came to mind immediately, but it's very small and I'm not sure they could accomodate a party of 12 without quite a bit of advance notice. I'm still thinking, but please let me know how much time I have.  :smile:

Edited to add a link to their menu, but it changes all the time. And also, is a full bar necessary or is wine/beer OK?

Thanks for the ideas so far. In response to your questions: Price is not that important (corporate expense account yippee! :biggrin: ), cuisine is open to suggestion as well. Probably the most import things are a good wine selection and a nice ambiance. This is for Thursday night next week.

"I believe it was Socrates who said, ‘I drank what?’"

Complete2L,

If you don't mind a chain restaurant, consider a high-end steakhouse called Fleming's in Newport Beach. Their steaks are really great. I like their side dishes. They have a huge selection of wines-by-the-glass. And if your group wants some privacy, ask for the smaller dining room downstairs.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...