• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EATING IN THE DARK

shelora

Perhaps Shelora meant "in the dark" as a euphemism. If so, this town has more than a few restaurants that can claim this status.

Power outages suck. If you lose the lights, that's fine (unless you're a garde manger in the back de-boning fish), but if you lose the computer system, the FOH just reverts back to neanderthalic grunting and panic as if the sky has fallen.

Nothing is more amusing than to watch an arithmetically challenged waiter try to add up liqour taxes and GST without the aid of a POS.

On the other hand, customers generally enjoy themselves when the lights go out and the tips (inexplicably) are huge. :laugh:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

And The Blinde Kuh (Blind Cow) in Zurich...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm at a loss. What's the attraction?  :unsure:

I read an article where the restaurant (a European one...I forget the name) claimed that all your other senses are heightened when you are denied your sight. So I guess the restaurant hopes that the diner will more fully appreciate the smell and the taste of the food.

Shelora, if I remember correctly, it is DV8 that offered this, as other members have suggested. The article mentioned some diners becoming less inhibited after the meal. :wink:

Perhaps it's reminiscent of the blindfold/refrigerator scene in 9½ Weeks?

Or perhaps not...

Or the womb... :biggrin:

Despite the logic of Ling's comment about the sense of sight being denied, the concept smells like teen spirit to me -- just a gimmick to put bums in seats.

Does DV8 really have the kind of culinary cred to suggest that concentrating only on taste and smell will make a stunning difference? I like the place...but c'mon!

What about naked nymphs dancing your plates to your table to the whimsical liltings of Metallica?

Turn the lights on baby, turn the lights on...

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

It is DV8 and no, I don't think it's based on their culinary credibility. When I was younger DV8 was a place to get drunk and get... well....I think everyone can figure that out :biggrin: The whole premise is certainly a gimmick, but it's a gimmick that's working for them. They hold it once a month and every month it sells out.

I checked out the website of the place in Paris and they say "total darkness". Does DV8 do the same thing? Is there a stated purpose if it's not about food? It sounds great if it's just "hey, let's turn the lights off for fun".

The place in Paris, if I read the site correctly, is staffed by blind "guides".

At DV8, (and I'm not being 100% facetious) do they use NVG or something? Miner's helmut lamps? Black lights?

Andrew Morrison

Andrew, it is in Total Darkness and apparently the servers wear night vision goggles :blink: which I always thought was a little odd, but that's what they said. I think the idea is that you are supposed to get more out of the food if you can't see it and you don't know what you're eating. You don't get a menu, they just bring you the dishes of the evening. Can't remember the times though. (Yes, I looked into. A friend wanted to take me for dinner and I called them to find out the dates and ended up asking all sorts of questions. Fortunately we didn't go. I think it would've been too weird.)

There was a recent article in one of the food magazines I get (Gourmet? Food and Wine? Saveur? I don't remember...)

They indicated that the waitstaff was blind so they had no problem negotiating the space. When you arrived, you were advised to wait until someone brought you to your table. There was a system in place (damn, wish I could remember!) for being able to call someone when you needed something.

Apparently it was quite ethereal.

I am searching for the name of that Vancouver restaurant that was serving food in the dark. Did anyone go there? What was it like? Did it really exist or was it a dream?

Thanks,

Shelora

The company that organises Dinner in the Dark events (including those at DV8 is called Lotus Events. They have a website under the same name.

The belly rules the mind.

Andrew, it is in Total Darkness and apparently the servers wear night vision goggles  :blink: which I always thought was a little odd, but that's what they said.
Someone told me the wait staff at DV8 during this event uses Night Vision goggles to navigate their way around.

Apparently PaoPao sufffers from short term memory loss :laugh::wink::wink:

A.

I went to the Lotus site and discovered that part of the DV8 dark nights have live comedy. So I take it that the food takes a back seat?

This is weird, man. I like to see my food. The better the chef, the more I want to see his/her plates.

Still, I'm intrigued. Maybe we should try this at my restaurant. Too many stairs, though. How can guests find their wine glasses?

It'd be interesting to see the state of the customers when the lights go back on...

Table 21 is having sex.

Seat 3 on 32 is covered in bolognese sauce.

All of the six-top at 42 have taken off without paying their check.

The hostess is in the bathroom crying.

The bartender reeks of grey goose.

Sounds awesome.

BTW, do they make perscription Night Vision Goggles? :laugh:

Andrew Morrison

It'd be interesting to see the state of the customers when the lights go back on...

Table 21 is having sex.

Seat 3 on 32 is covered in bolognese sauce.

All of the six-top at 42 have taken off without paying their check.

The hostess is in the bathroom crying.

The bartender reeks of grey goose.

Sounds awesome.

BTW, do they make perscription Night Vision Goggles?  :laugh:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Don't night vision goggles look something like gas masks with eye things on stalks (like bugs out of Naked Lunch)? No wonder they turn out the lights. Odd concept.

If I can't doubly convince management to supply me with the keys to the fuse box and to buy me night vision goggles for this Saturday night, I'll just ask for face paint, a set of stilts and a kazoo.

Later that evening.

"Welcome to the big-top, my name is Andrew."

"Uh..."

"Up here, Jackass"

"Hey, you can't talk to me like that. I'm a paying customer!"

"Yes sir, and I'm a clown on stilts. A little drinky, perhaps?"

"No night vision, eh?"

"Hell no. Buggers wouldn't spring."

"Swine. I'll have a tanq straight up with a twist please."

"Right."

Night Vision Goggles are a gimmick. Give your waiters kazoos. :smile:

Andrew Morrison