• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta cooking classes

JPW

All,

My FIL's 70th birthday is just around the corner. He lives in midtown Atlanta (Ansley Park to be exact). AS he has taken a new interest in cooking since he retired, Mrs JPW and I thought a great present for him would be to pay for a day cooking class.

We were thinking something focused on fish/seafood.

Price isn't of great importance, but our budget is not unlimited.

Any experience with classes in Atlanta?

Any restaurants with good chef classes you could recommend?

Any Atlanta research resources?

Thanks.

Joe

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Any restaurants with good chef classes you could recommend?

Any Atlanta research resources?

Cook's Warehouse

This place is highly recommended by local food enthusiasts. Located in Midtown, this looks like a perfect opportunity which your father-in-law might well treasure! They offer a lot of different classes, some of which may fill the bill ...

classes being offered by location, time, theme :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Cook's Warehouse

This place is highly recommended by local food enthusiasts. Located in Midtown, this looks like a perfect opportunity which your father-in-law might well treasure! They offer a lot of different classes, some of which may fill the bill ...

classes being offered by location, time, theme :wink:

Thanks GG! This looks great. At these prices we could afford to sign him up for a couple.

Other ideas are still welcome.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

You might consider (but I assume will not ultimately find to your liking) this option:

Viking Home Chef workshops

They are given much less frequently than Cooks' Warehouse and are more expensive ...

That is why CW is the best option in Atlanta at this time, at least to my way of thinking ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You might want to check out the community education program at the Art Institute of Atlanta: Smart Fun.

While not held in the same esteem as the CIA, the Art Institutes are serious, well-equipped, accredited schools with enviable placement rates. I've never taken classes there, but people I know that have have been pleased.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.